The Sony Cyber Attack: A Different Perspective

Has Hollywood gone too far? Is "art" just an excuse now for peddling sensationalist crap?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No.

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
If Sony or Hollywood want to blow all their money on films and then cancel them, whom am I to judge. If they go out of business, we might get better quality movies.

Yeah, that stupid blunder naming Kim Jong Un to assassinate is their bad. I hope anyone who invested in that lost their butt. You can hate the little Korean tyrant but to instigate or promote killing him in today's global climate is beyond reckless, its criminally irresponsible and if any terrorism comes of it, Hollywood should be made to pay for those losses too.

That's why theaters wouldn't show it. They don't want the trouble any reasonable person would expect to come from such a sophomoric provacation.

We diss our own in movies all the time. Since when is a STORY..you know..FAIRY TALE...a no no?

If you find a STORY in bad taste..don't go see. But don't you dare tell me I can't because YOU find it offensive..and even worse, be in another country and THREATEN me if I DO decide I want to see it.

And..Russia has already shown what they think of Obama with the monkey eating a banana schtick they did. Who cares what other countries show? I certainly don't. It's their STORY. Let them do whatever floats their boat.

Sony is nothing but a shitload of cowards. Who woulda thunk the Japanese would be so chickenshit. And now they are groveling for Al Sharpton. Oy.

TOKYO — When Sony Pictures began casting last year for a new comedy to be called “The Interview,” early scripts included the assassination of a fictionalized North Korean ruler. It was not until auditions began that actors learned that the movie would portray something much more brazen: the violent killing of the actual leader of North Korea. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/15/w...l-incident-making-kims-head-explode.html?_r=0
I wonder how the US would feel if say Russia had a version of Hollywood where their media produced films that were seen all over the globe in huge popularity on a regular basis. A media giant so large there that their influence penetrated the cradles to the graves all over the world of how people think and act in their every day lives.

Hold that thought.

Now, imagine if that Russian "Hollywood" had made a comedy (made gleeful light and fun of) two of their famous people coming to America to assassinate our Speaker of the House, or Obama, or Dick Cheney. And not just psuedonyms but the actual person targeted, like the movie that targeted Kim Jong Un.

We wonder why we have such trouble in world relations. Our capitalism has made us completely blind to regular human relations. Hollywood is out of control and has been for decades. Using "freedom of expression in art" as their excuse, they have been whipping a bridleless horse deep into the furlongs of indecency and outright disrespect. It is no wonder that they seem taken aback, shocked that their unchecked hubris and arrogance suddenly met a brick wall.

I personally think that it's a much-overdue wakeup call. If you want to produce films that deeply offend foreign countries that are involved in despising our arrogance, then you should expect that they will fight from the corner they feel backed into.

I think the people who invested in this film are chumps that deserve to lose all their money. Next time, research your investment a little better. Indecency, smut and violence just aren't cutting it anymore. The films that seem to do the best nowadays are the ones that promote an anchor of morality in a sea of puke. Think of that storyline. It's always the one that gets the awards on the red carpet. Investors take note..

We are a country founded on the basis of freedom of expression. If oppressive regimes have a problem with that, how is that our problem?

My opinion, it is illegal for our country to target foreign leaders so the movie is promoting the breaking of the law. But I doubt that matters to the liberal left.

There was a movie depicting the shooting of a sitting president. Bad taste to do so.

I am thinking this film will be released in about two weeks after all the hype, what great advertisement. My wife wanted go just because of the fuss being made.
It's promoting breaking the law so it shouldn't be released?

Following that logic, we could never make movies about anythying illegal.

Does the "conservative right" not believe in freedom of speech?

TOKYO — When Sony Pictures began casting last year for a new comedy to be called “The Interview,” early scripts included the assassination of a fictionalized North Korean ruler. It was not until auditions began that actors learned that the movie would portray something much more brazen: the violent killing of the actual leader of North Korea. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/15/w...l-incident-making-kims-head-explode.html?_r=0
I wonder how the US would feel if say Russia had a version of Hollywood where their media produced films that were seen all over the globe in huge popularity on a regular basis. A media giant so large there that their influence penetrated the cradles to the graves all over the world of how people think and act in their every day lives.

Hold that thought.

Now, imagine if that Russian "Hollywood" had made a comedy (made gleeful light and fun of) two of their famous people coming to America to assassinate our Speaker of the House, or Obama, or Dick Cheney. And not just psuedonyms but the actual person targeted, like the movie that targeted Kim Jong Un.

We wonder why we have such trouble in world relations. Our capitalism has made us completely blind to regular human relations. Hollywood is out of control and has been for decades. Using "freedom of expression in art" as their excuse, they have been whipping a bridleless horse deep into the furlongs of indecency and outright disrespect. It is no wonder that they seem taken aback, shocked that their unchecked hubris and arrogance suddenly met a brick wall.

I personally think that it's a much-overdue wakeup call. If you want to produce films that deeply offend foreign countries that are involved in despising our arrogance, then you should expect that they will fight from the corner they feel backed into.

I think the people who invested in this film are chumps that deserve to lose all their money. Next time, research your investment a little better. Indecency, smut and violence just aren't cutting it anymore. The films that seem to do the best nowadays are the ones that promote an anchor of morality in a sea of puke. Think of that storyline. It's always the one that gets the awards on the red carpet. Investors take note..
Um, maybe people should do a little more research before writing things.

Death of a President 2006 - IMDb

The whole point is.....a movie was made, NK hackers THREATENED a terrorist threat equal to 9/11. So what are we going to do about it? Looks like not a fucking damn thing.

Here seems to be the deal.

The US makes a movie about the killing of one of its enemies.

Now, say Iran make a movie about the killing of the Israeli leader. How would that go down in the US? Oh, they'd put sanctions against the Iranian govt and people again.

Some people say that there's a lack of sense of humor, but the if this were directed at an ally of the US, or at the US itself, the US wouldn't see the funny side of it.

The whole point is.....a movie was made, NK hackers THREATENED a terrorist threat equal to 9/11. So what are we going to do about it? Looks like not a fucking damn thing.

If they did something about every threat the North Koreans made, it would be quite an attack.

Here seems to be the deal.

The US makes a movie about the killing of one of its enemies.

Now, say Iran make a movie about the killing of the Israeli leader. How would that go down in the US? Oh, they'd put sanctions against the Iranian govt and people again.

Some people say that there's a lack of sense of humor, but the if this were directed at an ally of the US, or at the US itself, the US wouldn't see the funny side of it.
You think they dont do that?

The hacking revealed Sony head Amy Pascal want the next James Bond to be black. This is most troubling.
I know you just hate blacks but even a racist can be right for the wrong reasons. This reverse racism trend of shoving black people into white roles needs to stop. Annie is a red headed white girl. That is why the new movie is bombing. Bond was written as a white guy too. If black people want to make a mark they need to stop recasting stuff and write some original material.

From a national security perspective, is it a wise thing to do to promote the assassination of a world leader when anger towards the US has revolved around our meddling deeply in the affairs of foreign sovereign nations to the point of criminalities? We were even attempting to meddle in our allies affairs. (Cyber spying on Germany's leadership, etc.)

You know what, though, foreign film makers create movies where Americans are the bad guys all the time.

For instance, the South Korean Horror film "the Host' was built around an American Officer dumping toxins into a Korean river (kind of based on a real incident) that created the bad CGI monster that ate people.

There was also an Indian movie called "Hiss", where a snake goddess has her mate kidnapped by a racist American named 'George States" who refers to his Indian employees as "dotheads".

So, meh, not really.

Umm. There was a movie made which in it's main plot line was an assassination of Bush 43.....Aside from the usual protests and gum flapping on talk radio, it was more or less swept under the rug..
Now, if that same movie had been made about Obama as the target, I think the reaction in this country , at least from the political left, would be one of furious indignation.

Actually, there was plenty of outrage over "The Death of a President", even from the left who felt it was in bad taste.

And, yes, this was even after Bush plunged the country into a pointless war that killed hundreds of thousands of people.

This entire thing stinks. I do not think we have heard a lot of actual facts yet, just a lot of spin and speculation.

The hacking revealed Sony head Amy Pascal want the next James Bond to be black. This is most troubling.

Why?

You think MI-6 doesn't have agents who are of African ancestry? I'm kind of guessing they do.

I think the guy from Twelve Years a Slave, Chiwetel Ejiofor, would make an awesome James Bond. He also played "The Operative" in Serenity (the movie version of the Firefly series) and a revolutionary in the movie Children of Men. A really pretty solid actor who could pull the role off.

Certainly better than the forgettable George Lazenbee, or the self-parody that was Roger Moore.

My opinion, it is illegal for our country to target foreign leaders so the movie is promoting the breaking of the law. But I doubt that matters to the liberal left.

There was a movie depicting the shooting of a sitting president. Bad taste to do so.

I am thinking this film will be released in about two weeks after all the hype, what great advertisement. My wife wanted go just because of the fuss being made.
It's promoting breaking the law so it shouldn't be released?

Following that logic, we could never make movies about anythying illegal.

Does the "conservative right" not believe in freedom of speech?

Actually I never said it shouldn't be released. But the assisgnation of a foriegn leader is against the law which is what I said. And yes it is shown in movies all the time but I believe the leader is either fictitious or dead already. What would be your reaction if a film were made of your specific targeting?

Scary thought, maybe there is nothing we can do and we know it.

Forum List

Back