The Secret of Exploiting VRBO

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Anyone searching for a vacation rental on VRBO is likely to run into a very aggravating conundrum: You have a hell of a time re-locating properties that you located before. Even when it was only five minutes ago. You enter the same criteria (location, price, dates, people staying with you), and that same property does not appear. It is very aggravating.

So you find a good candidate property, make a note of its property ID number, go on to find other candidate properties, but you can't bring the previous ones back to compare them directly.

There is a secret to it. Make a note of the property ID. When you want to find it again, go to the main VRBO site, and enter that property ID into the left-hand block where you would normally enter your desired location. A link will appear to that property below the location block. Click on the link, it will ask you to confirm the dates, and the property ad will appear.

I wasted a lot of hours over the past week going through this searching process, and finally used their "chat" feature to contact an agent. She danced around for about half an hour and finally sent me an email with these instructions. Why she couldn't just type it in I don't know, but she did answer my question eventually.

Parenthetically, I've found that VRBO is an excellent site, along with Air BnB, to find vacation rentals.

Anyone searching for a vacation rental on VRBO is likely to run into a very aggravating conundrum: You have a hell of a time re-locating properties that you located before. Even when it was only five minutes ago. You enter the same criteria (location, price, dates, people staying with you), and that same property does not appear. It is very aggravating.

So you find a good candidate property, make a note of its property ID number, go on to find other candidate properties, but you can't bring the previous ones back to compare them directly.

There is a secret to it. Make a note of the property ID. When you want to find it again, go to the main VRBO site, and enter that property ID into the left-hand block where you would normally enter your desired location. A link will appear to that property below the location block. Click on the link, it will ask you to confirm the dates, and the property ad will appear.

I wasted a lot of hours over the past week going through this searching process, and finally used their "chat" feature to contact an agent. She danced around for about half an hour and finally sent me an email with these instructions. Why she couldn't just type it in I don't know, but she did answer my question eventually.

Parenthetically, I've found that VRBO is an excellent site, along with Air BnB, to find vacation rentals.
I'm pretty sure there is a feature on both VRBO and Airbnb to plan a trip where you save the properties you are interested in your trip file. You can also make them "favorites" which will save them for you.

Been using VRBO for well over 20 years. IMHO, its gotten way more expensive since Expedia bought them.

We use both of those sites for summer and winter ski vacations, as we lease beach homes and ski condos or cabins. In Firefox we keep a tab, saving potentials to that tab, just as you and I cut and paste webpage addresses here on the board. This lets my wife or I avoid the search thing on the next pass, with all our potential for consideration in one place. Either of us has veto authority to remove them from the tab. If others, outide our home have say or sway on the decision, that is where we copy the tab into an email for sharing and input.

I've found that VRBO is an excellent site
I agree. We used them for a short stay in Jacksonville Beach, FLA., and got a great deal on a really nice beachside cottage. The place was older but was very clean and had great amenities.

Bookmarks.

Forum List

Back