The Seat Belt Law.

Seat belt laws have absolutely nothing to do with safety. They exist to generate more revenue to the state government through fines. That is their only reason for existence and politicians fool people, like many of you, into accepting these laws by making you believe they actually give a shit about your safety.

What is the fine for not wearing a seat belt in your state and or municipality? From my experience, they are low, and another question, are they a primary or secondary offense. In other words, some states do not permit an officer to pull you over simply for that, there must be another infraction/crime first to be a legal stop.

Seat belt laws have absolutely nothing to do with safety. They exist to generate more revenue to the state government through fines. That is their only reason for existence and politicians fool people, like many of you, into accepting these laws by making you believe they actually give a shit about your safety.

And yet...seat belts have saved millions of lives.

Yea...just a gimmick to raise money

Last edited:

You don't have to take my word for it, dude.

Kansas debates tougher seat belt law as way out of deficit | McClatchy

Under the Dome: Primary seat belt law goes into effect today

The Challis Messenger - January 30, 2010

Seat belt law touted for dollars | CJOnline.com

There is plenty more.

You don't have to take my word for it, dude.

Kansas debates tougher seat belt law as way out of deficit | McClatchy

Under the Dome: Primary seat belt law goes into effect today

The Challis Messenger - January 30, 2010

Seat belt law touted for dollars | CJOnline.com

There is plenty more.

Making money off of stupid people is a way of life in America

Want to buy a lottery ticket?

A lottery ticket is not a tax or fee.

The purpose of law enforcement isn't to make money for the local government, but that's what they are turning into. So I take it your response is a concession that I am right?

What is the fine for not wearing a seat belt in your state and or municipality? From my experience, they are low, and another question, are they a primary or secondary offense. In other words, some states do not permit an officer to pull you over simply for that, there must be another infraction/crime first to be a legal stop.

I believe they are a primary offense in NJ. Almost everything is. :cuckoo: I don't mind wearing a belt and don't understand why anyone would. In fact, I prefer that it is a primary offense since many cops will let you off for speeding by writing up a seatbelt ticket instead. Plea bargaining isn't always a terrible thing.

Probably the most ridiculous driving law I've heard lately is NO HANDS FREE cell phone usage. For goodness sakes, why don't they just outlaw talking in the car? How the hell would a cop know who you are conversing with?

The purpose of law enforcement isn't to make money for the local government, but that's what they are turning into. So I take it your response is a concession that I am right?

No....its a concession you are one of the stupid people

I believe they are a primary ofense in NJ.

Correct, and 19 states have the laws as a secondary enforcement.

Does NJ still have full serve gas only. Last time I was there crossing over from Philly to Walt Whitman's home in Camden, they did not have self serve!

yeah, its not supposed to be, but you don't think they love the money that comes in from increased fines? Of course they do, just like they often have absurd parking rules. Man, in denver if you are like a inch into a crosswalk or 1 minute over the 2 hour limit, you will get a ticket. They have people all over the place giving tickets like crazy. I went to use the ATM and didn't pay the meter and had a ticket when I got back. It's revenue for them, that's for sure. I don't buy that the seat belt law is a big revenue stream since how often do they even give those tickets, as its not easy to spot someone not wearing a seatbelt

Your response to my list of articles affirmed my claim, as does your latest response.

Does NJ still have full serve gas only. Last time I was there crossing over from Philly to Walt Whitman's home in Camden, they did not have self serve!

Ha ha. Best thing about living in Jersey. I have never filled my own gas tank in my life. Call me princess. :lol:

Yes......NJ still prohibits you from pumping your own gas. But it also has some of the cheapest gas in the country...Full Serve

yeah, its not supposed to be, but you don't think they love the money that comes in from increased fines? Of course they do, just like they often have absurd parking rules. Man, in denver if you are like a inch into a crosswalk or 1 minute over the 2 hour limit, you will get a ticket. They have people all over the place giving tickets like crazy. I went to use the ATM and didn't pay the meter and had a ticket when I got back. It's revenue for them, that's for sure. I don't buy that the seat belt law is a big revenue stream since how often do they even give those tickets, as its not easy to spot someone not wearing a seatbelt

When I lived in Pittsburgh, there were a few times I saw actual checkpoints where police were looking in peoples' cars to see if they had seat belts on. Where my parents now live in Michigan, they have also seen police set up with binoculars to check for seat belt use and people who don't have it on would get pulled over down the road. They live in a very small town and it was all about the revenue. Last year in the height of the recession several states with secondary offense seat belt laws were considering making them primary offenses specifically for revenue purposes and some did, as exemplified in some of the article I linked to earlier.

Your response to my list of articles affirmed my claim, as does your latest response.

If you are too stupid to wear a seatbelt and the taxpayers make money off your stupidity it is a win-win all around.

Yes......NJ still prohibits you from pumping your own gas. But it also has some of the cheapest gas in the country...Full Serve

That's because their gas tax is one of the lowest in the country.

I think their mandatory full service is incredibly inefficient. Me and some friends took a road trip up to Atlantic City once and I had to get gas and there were several people waiting at the pumps and only one attendant. It took forever. It was ridiculous.

When I lived in Pittsburgh, there were a few times I saw actual checkpoints where police were looking in peoples' cars to see if they had seat belts on. Where my parents now live in Michigan, they have also seen police set up with binoculars to check for seat belt use and people who don't have it on would get pulled over down the road.

Reminds me of a story. Cops, in plain clothes, were set up near the entrance of a concert.

When a motorist would pass, the cops would raise thier beer, as if to say salute/hi. If they saw any person in car fall for it and raise thiers, they pulled them over. Of course the "entrapment" defense came out.

If you are too stupid to wear a seatbelt and the taxpayers make money off your stupidity it is a win-win all around.

So you do agree then that it's about revenue. Thanks for clearing that up.

No its about safety. Its a common sense issue. If you lack common sense and get fined for it ...who the hell cares?

While you may not care if your face kisses the windshield in a crash...we have to pay to scrape what used to be your face off the windshield

Forum List

Back