The Seat Belt Law.

Of course. People travelling on public roads should be held to account for actions that increase the costs to others.

Me not wearing a seat belt causes no increase to anyone else's costs. Furthermore, once you use that justification to pass a law, you hand over the government unlimited power to regulate every aspect of your life.

I like the idea of charging people to use the public roads. Look what London did in their downtiown areas.

We are already charged to use the public roads. Who do you think pays to have them built and maintained?

In '09, Illinois recorded less that 1,000 traffic fatalities for the first time since 1921. Due in part to increased seat belt usage and stricter enforcement of belt laws. Yeah it's a good thing.

Why don't we just outlaw automobiles. That way there will be no traffic fatalities and that will be a really, really good thing, right?

It should be a requirement for drivers and children...

Why drivers, but not passengers?

all others, if you are not wearing one... no insurance pay out for you or your family members

That's up to the insurance company.

and no government support for your med bills..

Why should the government be paying for anybody's medical bills period?

Motorcycle helmet laws have nothing to do and are not comparable in any way to seat belt laws.
While driving a vehicle you can be knocked out of your seat and away from the steering wheel and lose control of the vehicle. Seat belts make that an impossibility 99% of the time. Not wearing the belt puts at risk OTHER DRIVERS on the road if you are knocked away from having control of your vehicle by not wearing the seat belt.
Not the case under any scenario with a motorcycle helmet.

the asshole that fell asleep at the wheel with HER seat belt on just mowed me down!

Should there be such a law?
Should this be a Yes/No poll?

Yes.

Yes.

People are stupid and need laws to keep them from costing the rest of us more than they should.

No. Just like there should be no motorcycle helmet laws.

If people want to die, let them.
I agree with the basic idea of letting those adults that want to risk serious injury and death riding without safety gear do as they please. However, no other person or insurance company should be expected or required by law to pay for the consequences of that particular manifestation of utter stupidity.

No. Just like there should be no motorcycle helmet laws.

If people want to die, let them.

Shouldn't it be their choice.
It always is. Their choice should not affect my life at all...including via the increase in insurance premiums made necessary by their stupidity.

No.

Let the insurance companies deal with it.
They do. They charge everybody more for coverage to offset the costs attributed to stupid people that don't understand how fragile their own bodies are when surrounded by moving mass.

In '09, Illinois recorded less that 1,000 traffic fatalities for the first time since 1921. Due in part to increased seat belt usage and stricter enforcement of belt laws. Yeah it's a good thing.
A damn good thing!

It's unconstitutional!
Link please. You want to use a public road (provided and maintained at the cost of the government) you abide by the rules of law issued by the government.

Yes! If we say no, then child safety seats in cars should have the same argument.

That's not really a valid argument. The kids have no choice about being in the car. Although; agreed: a parent killed due to not wearing a seatbelt is not exactly going to be in the surviving child's best interests.
In a way, people have no choice about being in vehicles. You either get in one (or straddle one) and take a ride from where you are to where you need or want to be...or you walk.

Buses don't have seat belts. Taxis don't have seat belts. Trains don't have seat belts.

Race cars have seat belts. They prove their worth in crashes. Just ask the drivers.

It should be a requirement for drivers and children...all others, if you are not wearing one...no insurance pay out for you or your family members and no government support for your med bills. Kicked to the curb.
Then there would be lawsuits regarding whether the injured parties a) had their seat belts fastened b) were strapped in by defective seat belts that broke c)other...the lawyers will win every time.

Yes! If we say no, then child safety seats in cars should have the same argument.

That's not really a valid argument. The kids have no choice about being in the car. Although; agreed: a parent killed due to not wearing a seatbelt is not exactly going to be in the surviving child's best interests.

Right, kids have no choice to be in the car. I have seen arguments against a law that forbids an adult smoking in their own car with a child under 18. Who's right, the govt. or the adult driver?
Any law is subject to argument.

Oh the smoker is always right.

I am a smoker btw
No citizen should be forced to inhale smoke.

Of course. People traveling on public roads should be held to account for actions that increase the costs to others.

I like the idea of charging people to use the public roads. Look what London did in their downtown areas.
What he said.

I see nothing wrong with seat belt laws, helmet laws, child safety laws (ex. proper child seats), imposing safetay standards for cars, states requiring drivers to have car insurance, etc.

children should be forced, adults no. I am all for idiots dieing quicker.

I see nothing wrong with seat belt laws, helmet laws, child safety laws (ex. proper child seats), imposing safetay standards for cars, states requiring drivers to have car insurance, etc.

what power does the government have to force me to wear a seatbelt?

What's funny is that almost everyone commenting here actually believes that the seat belt laws exist for safety reasons.

Since driving isnt a right, I feel that it is perfectly acceptable for the government to establish requirements that people must follow while driving. I mean, what power does the government have to compel me to travel at a certain speed?

Since driving isnt a right, I feel that it is perfectly acceptable for the government to establish requirements that people must follow while driving. I mean, what power does the government have to compel me to travel at a certain speed?

it doesn't

Driving at a certain speed is a safety precaution for other people on the road. You wearing a seat belt is not.

They have no power to force you to wear a helmet or seatbelt on land that you own. You are free to do as you wish.

However, once you take your vehicle on public roads you have to abide by the rules they establish

While I agree that to wear or not wear a seat belt should be a personal choice, I will confirm the fact that two years ago, Mrs. BBD would have been killed in a very bad auto accident if she had of not been wearing a seat belt. I think it's a wise choice to use them.

They have no power to force you to wear a helmet or seatbelt on land that you own. You are free to do as you wish.

However, once you take your vehicle on public roads you have to abide by the rules they establish

Right. A lot of folks don't like any car laws passed, no texting, no cell phone use, etc. We have a law in some Municipalities in Ohio called Full time and attention, meaning no person shall operate a MV without doing so. When a woman is putting on makeup instead of watching the road, although there is no specific law that forbids putting makeup on in your rear view mirror, they can be charged.

While I agree that to wear or not wear a seat belt should be a personal choice, I will confirm the fact that two years ago, Mrs. BBD would have been killed in a very bad auto accident if she had of not been wearing a seat belt. I think it's a wise choice to use them.

Choice being the operative word. I probably wear mine about 70% of the mine, but it's my choice. The law doesn't change anything for me. In fact, I don't even know what the law is here regarding seat belt use.

Choice being the operative word. I probably wear mine about 70% of the mine, but it's my choice. The law doesn't change anything for me. In fact, I don't even know what the law is here regarding seat belt use.

It all comes down to how much you value your head

Forum List

Back