Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JoeB131

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
The ongoing quest to find a replacement for Alex Trebek on Jeopardy! has turned into a fiasco.

As we all know, Alex Trebek passed away last year after hosting the game show for 35 years. He hosted it with grace, dignity and made it a lot of fun.

But even though they had known for a year that Trebek was ill, and longer than that he was getting old (He was 80 when he passed away) they didn't have a clear plan forward.

Their first choice was Ken Jennings, the biggest winner in the show's history. He did a pretty good job on his six weeks as guest host, but he was found to have made insensitive tweets about disabled people.

Then they picked executive producer Mike Richards. But then found some old podcasts where he said insensitive things to women and he was named in a lawsuit by models on The Price is Right. So not only did he lose the hosting gig, but he might even lose his job as a producer of the show.

They are going with their third choice, Mayim Bialek... But nope. She said some stupid things about vaccines once, so she isn't going to last.

Some of the fans want Levar Burton, because of fondness for him from Reading Rainbow, Star Trek and Roots. Being a big Trek nerd, I wouldn't mind this, but his one week as host needed some polish. (Then again, late last year, they reran Alex Trebek's first episode from 1985, and it was not exactly polished, either, and Trebek had hosted other game shows before he landed that sweet Jeopardy! gig.)

I am one of the few who liked Joe Buck.

That said this whole search thing was rather silly. They should of had a replacement before Alex died.

Oh for fuck sake. Did he rustle some snowflake jimmies?

Unfortunately, yes. He made a comment that there was nothing sadder than a hot girl in a wheelchair.

The problem is, I think, that Alex Trebek was such a beloved figure. He hosted the show with grace, treated all contestants with respect, even idiot celebrities answering dumbed down questions. And the inspiring way he handled his cancer diagnosis, pretty much elevated him to celebrity sainthood.

pknopp he fkd up---one time he told a contestant he was correct BEFORE the contestant was finished giving his answer

I am one of the few who liked Joe Buck.

That said this whole search thing was rather silly. They should of had a replacement before Alex died.

I agree. I think they did, their plan was to ease Ken Jennings into the role, but then Jennings was found to have said some weird and creepy things on Twitter.

The problem is that there is this vocal group of fans that wants Levar Burton, and they are going to keep attacking anyone who isn't Levar Burton.

1630150436191.png

I'll take Warp Core Breaches for $600.

• Thanks
Reactions: JLW
The ongoing quest to find a replacement for Alex Trebek on Jeopardy! has turned into a fiasco.

As we all know, Alex Trebek passed away last year after hosting the game show for 35 years. He hosted it with grace, dignity and made it a lot of fun.

But even though they had known for a year that Trebek was ill, and longer than that he was getting old (He was 80 when he passed away) they didn't have a clear plan forward.

Their first choice was Ken Jennings, the biggest winner in the show's history. He did a pretty good job on his six weeks as guest host, but he was found to have made insensitive tweets about disabled people.

Then they picked executive producer Mike Richards. But then found some old podcasts where he said insensitive things to women and he was named in a lawsuit by models on The Price is Right. So not only did he lose the hosting gig, but he might even lose his job as a producer of the show.

They are going with their third choice, Mayim Bialek... But nope. She said some stupid things about vaccines once, so she isn't going to last.

Some of the fans want Levar Burton, because of fondness for him from Reading Rainbow, Star Trek and Roots. Being a big Trek nerd, I wouldn't mind this, but his one week as host needed some polish. (Then again, late last year, they reran Alex Trebek's first episode from 1985, and it was not exactly polished, either, and Trebek had hosted other game shows before he landed that sweet Jeopardy! gig.)
NY & California liberal produced show.
Liberals can't even run and manage a simple game show without ruining it, hence the total disintegration of the 2 states and Country they got majority control of.

I'm not sure why it has to be some celebrity host.... Get some weatherman from Des Moines and let her or him just host the show. This shouldn't be such an ordeal.

I hate conspiracy theories but the constant innuendo just feeds the beast of keeping the show in the public eye. I wonder if it is one of those "problems" the show brain trust aren't in too much of a hurry to solve.

Because of his Encino Man character's love for the show, I pick actor Pauly Shore.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

P.S. That is the only film of his that I have ever seen.

It should be Buzzy, he is almost identical to Richards in so many ways, except for one: He is actually a successful contestant on the show.

And Richards comments were pretty tame. Nothing like what a former President said about women. But with a show like Jeopardy, you don't want to taint it with some douche host.

I agree. I think they did, their plan was to ease Ken Jennings into the role, but then Jennings was found to have said some weird and creepy things on Twitter.

The problem is that there is this vocal group of fans that wants Levar Burton, and they are going to keep attacking anyone who isn't Levar Burton.

View attachment 531713
I'll take Warp Core Breaches for $600.
The problem is that there is this vocal group of fans that wants a black host, and they are going to keep attacking anyone who isn't black.

I'm probably never going to watch again. I wanted Richards to take over even before A.T. passed away. His not getting to host wouldn't bother me if he had never been named or considered in the first place because I had never believed or expected it to happen, and to take that away shortly after the announcement is just too much, and as much as it was Richards' resignation of his own volition, he'd have been pushed out soon enough anyhow. Sony really should have done far more due diligence before selecting him in either the executive producer or host capacities. Ken Jennings is the one I really don't want to take over hosting. I changed the channel three minutes into his first episode as guest host because I don't think he has the voice, personality, or charisma. I don't mind him as a trivia expert with some of the other shows he has been on, but as emcee, he'd lull me to sleep in a real hurry.

Last edited:
I'm probably never going to watch again. I wanted Richards to take over even before A.T. passed away. His not getting to host wouldn't bother me if he had never been named or considered in the first place because I had never believed or expected it to happen, and to take that away shortly after the announcement is just too much, and as much as it was Richards' resignation of his own volition, he'd have been pushed out soon enough anyhow. Sony really should have done far more due diligence before selecting him in either the executive producer or host capacities. Ken Jennings is the one I really don't want to take over hosting. I changed the channel three minutes into his first episode as guest host because I don't think he has the voice, personality, or charisma. I don't mind him as a trivia expert with some of the other shows he has been on, but as emcee, he'd lull me to sleep in a real hurry.

I'm not sure how you could have wanted Richards to take over before Trebek passed away, none of us had even heard of him before that.

I thought his time as host was pretty good. I thought Jennings did well as well. A couple of them were awful, like Dr. Oz, or George Stephanopolous, who could benefit from a good bitchslapping most days.

A lot of fans want to see Levar Burton take over, just because they have affection for him from past work, and yes, they would like to see a person of color in that role. I think he did okay, then you read he was only give one day to prepare and all five of his episodes were shot on the same day.

The problem is that there is this vocal group of fans that wants a black host, and they are going to keep attacking anyone who isn't black.

Exactly. Maybe someone should look at the demographics for Jeopardy - 50 - 65 years old, predominantly white. The producers were worried earlier when they had Katie Couric on because of her ultra left leanings. Shoving more woke shit down the throat of the wrong demo will probably not be a good idea.

Cheers

Forum List

Back