The science of spanking

I spanked both of our children until they got to be around 5 or 6 years old.
Spanking at a young age is not only effective, but very necessary especially when deterring a child from doing something that is a danger to themselves.
A young child cannot reason, they have a very small vocabulary and are totally incapable of higher thinking.

Sitting down with a 2 years old and trying to teach them why electricity will kill them is not only dumb - but you are endangering the child recklessly.
Fear is mankind’s greatest deterrent for everything. Using fear to deter small children is being a good parent. Not using it, is reckless and just plain dumb.
I stopped spanking when they grew up a little and was old enough to understand reasoning and understand consequential discipline.
By the way, my children are grown now.
The oldest graduated with a Medical Degree from a major university on the Dean's list.
The second, is pursuing a Medical Degree and is doing very well.

Hitting a baby younger than 5yo, purposely teaching fear to a baby who "cannot reason" and even admitting it - wow, that's just vile.

But, very glad you stopped hitting them.

Just curious - who do you hit now? The dog?

Last edited:
Kids with good behavior
More than likely was spanked sparingly and disciplined when they were 1 1/2 up to 3 years of age and parents who act responsibly

Kid that have never been spanked nor disciplined and more than likely learned this bad behavior from the parents themselves, by not acting responsibly around the kids.

Kids learn and mimic behavior that they see around them at home.

If you are correct then the kids who were doing the bullying learned and mimiced that from their parents who beat them.

"Modeling" is indeed the dominant way that kids learn. Unfortunately they can model from TV shows, and if parents aren't careful with what their little ones watch, that is how they get bad habits and behaviors.

The meme that TV makes children violent has been debunked over and over again. You probably saw the war scenes from Vietnam growing up as did millions of other children and it had no impact on your behavior whatsoever.

You must have stopped reading the studies in the 1970's then. You are clearly far, far behind the experts in the field.

"Virtually since the dawn of television, parents, teachers, legislators and mental health professionals have wanted to understand the impact of television programs, particularly on children. Of special concern has been the portrayal of violence, particularly given psychologist Albert Bandura's work in the 1970s on social learning and the tendency of children to imitate what they see. As a result of 15 years of “consistently disturbing” findings about the violent content of children's programs, the Surgeon General's Scientific Advisory Committee on Television and Social Behavior was formed in 1969 to assess the impact of violence on the attitudes, values and behavior of viewers. The resulting report and a follow-up report in 1982 by the National Institute of Mental Health identified these major effects of seeing violence on television:"
  • Children may become less sensitive to the pain and suffering of others.
  • Children may be more fearful of the world around them.
  • Children may be more likely to behave in aggressive or harmful ways toward others.

Violence in the Media Psychologists Study TV and Video Game Violence for Potential Harmful Effects

Why did you deliberately omit this relevant finding?

However, later research by psychologists Douglas Gentile and Brad Bushman, among others, suggested that exposure to media violence is just one of several factors that can contribute to aggressive behavior.

One of several factors?

Like being spanked?

Physical punishment of children potentially harmful to their long-term development -- ScienceDaily

An analysis of research on physical punishment of children over the past 20 years indicates that such punishment is potentially harmful to their long-term development, states an article in CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal)

Over the past 20 years, a growing body of research clearly indicates that children who have experienced physical punishment tend to be more aggressive toward parents, siblings, peers and, later, spouses, and are more likely to develop antisocial behaviour.

"Virtually without exception, these studies found that physical punishment was associated with higher levels of aggression against parents, siblings, peers and spouses," write Dr. Joan Durrant, Department of Family Social Sciences, University of Manitoba, and Ron Ensom, Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario.

In a trial of an intervention designed to reduce difficult behaviour in children, when parents in more than 500 families were trained to reduce their use of physical punishment, the difficult behaviours in the children also declined.

"Results consistently suggest that physical punishment has a direct causal effect on externalizing behaviour, whether through a reflexive response to pain, modeling or coercive family processes," write the authors.

Physical punishment is also associated with a variety of mental health problems, such as depression, anxiety and use of drugs and alcohol. Physical punishment may change areas in the brain linked to performance on IQ tests and increase vulnerability to drug or alcohol dependence, as recent neuroimaging studies suggest. Attitudes toward the use of physical punishment have changed, and many countries have shifted focus to positive discipline of children and have legally abolished physical punishment.

Your own link refers to other factors. Research into beating children over 20 years has proven that it causes aggression.

A full grown adult beating a small child is abuse.

The use of CP is a substitute for being a good parent in my opinion.

Reasoning with children as well as other legitimate non-CP works far better.

Yes, there are parents who are clueless and don't know any better but that is just all the more reason why this is something that should be taught in schools.

And it is complete and utter nonsense that you can beat values and a work ethic into a child.

The only thing any child ever learned from being beaten was that bigger means stronger and therefore has the "right" to inflict pain on the smaller and weaker person.

Beating is child abuse.
Spanking is not.

From the child's POV there is no difference between the two.

If done correctly they know by the time they are 3 or 4.

Beating under the age of 4 is like beating a pet. They have absolutely no idea why they are being hurt.

I agree beating is not right.
Spanking is a different matter.
I was 2 1/2 when I was spanked by my Grandma for not listening to her. I understood perfectly why and I did not do it again and I was not hurt.

I encourage him to behave by reminding him that he can have a reward if he listens, but can't if he does not.

I will reprimand him by reminding him of his manners and such, but that's where the "discipline" ends.

A full grown adult beating a small child is abuse.

The use of CP is a substitute for being a good parent in my opinion.

Reasoning with children as well as other legitimate non-CP works far better.

Yes, there are parents who are clueless and don't know any better but that is just all the more reason why this is something that should be taught in schools.

And it is complete and utter nonsense that you can beat values and a work ethic into a child.

The only thing any child ever learned from being beaten was that bigger means stronger and therefore has the "right" to inflict pain on the smaller and weaker person.

Beating is child abuse.
Spanking is not.

From the child's POV there is no difference between the two.

If done correctly they know by the time they are 3 or 4.

Beating under the age of 4 is like beating a pet. They have absolutely no idea why they are being hurt.

I agree beating is not right.
Spanking is a different matter.
I was 2 1/2 when I was spanked by my Grandma for not listening to her. I understood perfectly why and I did not do it again and I was not hurt.

Would you have understood if she had spanked you at 18 months?

Not all children learn at the same rate.

Inflicting physical pain certainly does get the attention of the child. Whether they understand what they have done wrong is dubious at best.

Puddly as usual focuses on the negative.

For some people, spanking is an art.

Just sayin'.

My son is autistic - I don't even raise my voice at him. He listens and behaves very well for me.

Autistic children need to be raised differently, spanks would never be understood by them.
Parents of autistic children are very special people them selves. The patience and love they have is amazing to see and watch.

The Science Of Spanking What Happens To Spanked Kids When They Grow Up

This is well worth a good long look.

Nothing good comes from hitting children.

OP fails in the begining.

'Coporal punishment', 'Hitting', 'Physical Abuse' are NOT spanking.

Luddly Neddite I'm sorry you were abused as a child under the guise of spanking.
YOU were wronged by the people who abused you.
Abuse does not equate spanking in reality.

The only thing I can agree with in your OP is ~ teachers should not be able to spank/hit/beat, whatever, students.

Puddly as usual focuses on the negative.

For some people, spanking is an art.

Just sayin'.

Totally!

A swat on the butt of a toddler is for 'startle' effect.
Only needs to happen a few times to be effective.

My son is autistic - I don't even raise my voice at him. He listens and behaves very well for me.

Autistic children need to be raised differently, spanks would never be understood by them.
Parents of autistic children are very special people them selves. The patience and love they have is amazing to see and watch.

All the more reason not to hit children who are not handicapped.

But yes - I have great respect and admiration for Mad_Cabbie 's approach and attitude.

To me, a child should never have to live in such fear under any circumstance. Besides, taking things away from kids lasts way longer than a physical punishment does and then of course there are so many things that can be taken from a kid when they misbehave: tv, radio, video games, phones, computer usage, toys, seeing friends, etc.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

To me, a child should never have to live in such fear under any circumstance. Besides, taking things away from kids lasts way longer than a physical punishment does and then of course there are so many things that can be taken from a kid when they misbehave: tv, radio, video games, phones, computer usage, toys, seeing friends, etc.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Good for you.

I would have thought you would be in favor of beating god into those heathen kids.

You know, WWJB**

**Who Would Jesus Beat?

Hitting a baby younger than 5yo, purposely teaching fear to a baby who "cannot reason" and even admitting it - wow, that's just vile.

But, very glad you stopped hitting them.

Just curious - who do you hit now? The dog?

We have established you have no children.
When a parent smacks the hand of a child who insist upon touching something hot despite repeatedly saying NO! NO!
What do you think this is? And why after that does the child stop? Fear. They don't want to feel that pain again.
It is a helluva lot better for a child to experience the pain of a smacked hand than a 2nd degree burn. Ya think??
We have also established you know nothing about the human brain and how it develops.
I truly hope when you have children they don't end up in the emergency room with something serious because you as a parent failed to teach them properly.[/QUOTE]

People will post a lot of reasons and excuses for hitting children. Some hit out of anger at having been hit as children themselves. Some here might read the graphic in the OP and hit their children more just to show that they won't let someone else change their minds.

But, if just one person looks at their own actions, questions their past behavior and the effect it has had on their child, if even one person does not hit their child as often or as hard, that's a huge win for them and for that child.

Forum List

Back