The Roots and Perils of Eduspeak

Discussion in 'Education' started by Said1, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    I've noticed at bit at my daughter's school, but my daughter is only in gr.2. It's probably not a big deal, but it gets on my nerves just the same.

Continued Here

2. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    You have all the right to be angry and you should be even angrier because this trend seems like it will only gain momentum and should hit its apex by the time your child hits high school.

I had a Biology teacher my Freshman year in HS who used to call HW "Success Assignments." He was the head of the Science department in the school (he had been working there close to 40 years) and a few years before him, he became "enlightened" by the new wave of education. He NEVER (and I mean not once) lectured about the principles of bio...he once picked up a piece of chalk and jokingly said, "What am I doing with this?" All we did were labs (which he would not help us with) and take tests that were straight from hell. He believed he was only there to "facilitate" our learning, rather than guide us. Needless to say, I suck at bio.

The point of that story is that we are seeing a new wave of liberal teaching methods that emphasize the "freedom" of the student and push the teacher to the background. What made me laugh in that article was "reflection time." Maybe we should call prison the same thing as well. You need to be held accountable for your actions early on in life. Part of being an American (or a Canadian like yourself) is that there are actions and CONSEQUENCES-- you act properly to avoid those consequences because they are not too glamorous.

And on the educational side of this philosophy, we see teachers stepping back more and more (ie- my biology teacher and "silent reading"). There is a time for teachers to step back-- it's called homework. We come to school to learn, to be challenged, and to absorb material from those who are supposedly experts in the field. Teachers should share their knowledge with students directly; they should not expect them to pick it up on their own.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I thought this was some kind of concert with the Roots.

The Perils of Eduspeak. Now there's a band name.

4. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    That reminded me of the essay they had to write in "The Breakfast Club" - 1000 words explaining who we think we are. :laugh:

My daughter's teacher is AWESOME. I can only wish she has more like him in the future. It's funny, each time he explains a term I'm unfamiliar with he rolls his eyes and says "it's just a fancy term for detention" which they call " the work room".

5. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Oh, sure. If you like sappy Indy music. :finger3:

6. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I was thinking more acoustic death metal jungle fusion

with hints of bluegrass/polka roots.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Dear Mrs & Mr.,
    This is a quick note to let you know that having Jessica/Joshua in class is oftentimes an exciting experience for both instructor and students. She/he brings a level of energy to our classes which adds much to our days. I am requesting your cooperation in reinforcing appropriate responses on her/his part, expected in the 8th grade, cognizant of her/his limited ability to check her/his impulse reactions.

As discussed previously, we recognize that her/his ability to process present and past material is limited. We are also taking into account her/his limited ability to track the necessary materials required for successful completion of the curriculum. We further perceive your circumscribed dominion in facilitating her/his access to these materials. For that reason we must again ask that she/he not annunciate her/his usual specious elucidations, which tend to confuse both teachers and her/his fellow students.

Thank you very much for your prompt attention to this matter, if you need further clarification please feel free to call the office and set an appointment.

Sincerely,
    Teacher

PS Jessica/Joshua has once again mislaid her/his math book. She/he asserts to have looked for it everywhere. Tomorrow please send a check for $85 to replace the book.

Translation:

Your child never raises her hand, just shouts out wrong answers, which of course have nothing to do with the topic under discussion. Moreover, they come to class without a pen, paper, or text, (which they've lost). While we have discussed this numerous times, you seem as inept as your child. Please at least tell her to 'shut up' in class, as there are kids that are capable of learning.

I have never sent a note like this, but have been tempted. :laugh: If nothing else, it 'blows off steam, while being mostly incomprehensible.' I do know teachers that do this. :spank3:

8. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    A little girl at a school where I atteneded 4th and 5th grade stole money from her father and brought a group of us to the store and bought toys and junk.

Parents found out, called the principal who sent notes home to the parents of the children who recieved illegal contriban stating that "your child has been involved in a break & enter in the neighbourhood". What an arse.

I should also mention contriban included one peice of gum or candy, it wasn't just us girls who accompanied the theif to the store. What a total jackoff.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Wow, today he'd probably get sued! False accusations, etc.

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    That criminal past will dog ya forever too. :poke: