The Rise of Unions

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
Unions have been on the rise for a while now but have been super-charged in the Age of Biden, who is the most pro-union president perhaps in history. Now, the VFX workers are unionizing at Marvel Studios.

Marvel VFX Workers Unanimously Vote to Unionize With IATSE

In a historic move, Marvel Studios’ visual effects workers unanimously voted in favor of unionizing with the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) in an election held by the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), the company announced Wednesday.

This marks the first time a unit of solely VFX workers has unionized with IATSE.

The Marvel Studios workers initially filed for the election on Aug. 7, and votes were cast and collected between Aug. 21 and Sept. 11. During the count on Sept. 12, all votes were in favor of unionizing with IATSE and zero were against.

“Today, VFX workers at Marvel Studios spoke with a unanimous, collective voice, demanding fair pay for the hours they work, healthcare, a safe and sustainable working environment, and respect for the work they do,” Mark Patch, VFX organizer for IATSE, said in a statement. “There could be no stronger statement highlighting the overwhelming need for us to continue our work and bring union protections and standards to all VFX workers across the industry. And there could be no stronger example of the courage and solidarity of these workers than each and every one of them declaring ‘union YES!'”

The vote comes at a time when Marvel movies, like this year’s lukewarm “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania,” and other special effects-heavy blockbusters, like “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse,” have been under fire for the large workload and tight deadlines placed on VFX teams.

So far, Marvel Studios is the only in-house VFX team unionized with IATSE, but Walt Disney Pictures VFX staffers recently moved to unionize in late August.

“This is historic and I’m glad to be part of it,” Thomas Barnard, VFX coordinator at Marvel, said in a statement. “Not only will this radically change the game by increasing the quality of storytelling through our work, it’s also a huge step forward for taking care of the unsung individuals who helped to build the industry.”

The next step for the union is to engage in collective bargaining negotiations with Marvel Studios execs in order to draft a contract that addresses the workers’ needs. As of now, negotiation dates have yet to be scheduled.

The unionization vote comes amid the ongoing WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes, as the guilds continue to seek fair contracts with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers.

So you want american workers to do the jobs for less correct? Why?

Let’s say a company needs 8,620 workers for 40 hours a week. You can hire 2,500 people at $52,000 a year or 8,620 American people at $15,080 a year. That leaves 6,120 Americans unemployed. The company can get the remaining 6,120 employees from China at a lower rate of pay even though the company prefers hiring Americans.

I guess teachers were right. Nobody uses Algebra after high school. Well. I do. Unions destroy the lives of more people than they help. It’s basic Algebra.

Is it better to have high wages and a 71% unemployment rate or lower wages and a 0% unemployment rate? It’s hard to say. Do you care about humanity or do you care about better pay. By the way, there has never been a human in all of world history that was paid enough. Humans have an insatiable appetite for more. You can’t satisfy them.

When unions organize the best thing to do is close operations for 5 years and pay nobody until they can come to an agreement. During that 5 years just set up temporary operation in China to give American unions five years to come up with a fair agreement.

My question is simple. Why do you want less Americans working and more Chinese people working? Weird but I am sure you have an answer that makes sense.

Last edited:
So you want americans doing the job for the same pay the Chinese do it for correct? Just to clarify. How do americans survive on those wages?

So you would like americans doing those same jobs for the same wages Chinese workers do them for? Just clarifying.

Unions have been on the rise for a while now but have been super-charged in the Age of Biden, who is the most pro-union president perhaps in history. Now, the VFX workers are unionizing at Marvel Studios.

In a historic move, Marvel Studios’ visual effects workers unanimously voted in favor of unionizing with the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) in an election held by the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), the company announced Wednesday.

This marks the first time a unit of solely VFX workers has unionized with IATSE.

The Marvel Studios workers initially filed for the election on Aug. 7, and votes were cast and collected between Aug. 21 and Sept. 11. During the count on Sept. 12, all votes were in favor of unionizing with IATSE and zero were against.

“Today, VFX workers at Marvel Studios spoke with a unanimous, collective voice, demanding fair pay for the hours they work, healthcare, a safe and sustainable working environment, and respect for the work they do,” Mark Patch, VFX organizer for IATSE, said in a statement. “There could be no stronger statement highlighting the overwhelming need for us to continue our work and bring union protections and standards to all VFX workers across the industry. And there could be no stronger example of the courage and solidarity of these workers than each and every one of them declaring ‘union YES!'”

The vote comes at a time when Marvel movies, like this year’s lukewarm “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania,” and other special effects-heavy blockbusters, like “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse,” have been under fire for the large workload and tight deadlines placed on VFX teams.

So far, Marvel Studios is the only in-house VFX team unionized with IATSE, but Walt Disney Pictures VFX staffers recently moved to unionize in late August.

“This is historic and I’m glad to be part of it,” Thomas Barnard, VFX coordinator at Marvel, said in a statement. “Not only will this radically change the game by increasing the quality of storytelling through our work, it’s also a huge step forward for taking care of the unsung individuals who helped to build the industry.”

The next step for the union is to engage in collective bargaining negotiations with Marvel Studios execs in order to draft a contract that addresses the workers’ needs. As of now, negotiation dates have yet to be scheduled.

The unionization vote comes amid the ongoing WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes, as the guilds continue to seek fair contracts with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers.

^^^A guy who never worked a day in his life praising unions. That's a Biden voter for you!

As a Union employee, former Steward and contract negotiator I will say this… Unions are a wonderful thing as long as they and the company thst actually employs their members work TOGETHER rather than against each other.

Thankfully my Union and our employer have a very stron and mutually respectful relationship and it works beautifully. I’ve seen places where that relationship doesn’t exist and it’s been a horror show.

Now the Big 3 are about to all go out together, and that is going to make buying parts for American cars difficult.

I looked at the UAW's demands and they seem pretty incredible, 4 day work weeks, no two tier wages, and bringing back pensions and retiree healthcare.

I hate to tell them, but that ship has sailed.

Now the Big 3 are about to all go out together, and that is going to make buying parts for American cars difficult.

I looked at the UAW's demands and they seem pretty incredible, 4 day work weeks, no two tier wages, and bringing back pensions and retiree healthcare.

I hate to tell them, but that ship has sailed.
I can see the wage thing being excessive but the rest is easily beyond easy reasonable.

The healthcare and pension demands would bankrupt these companies, there is simply too much competition and they cannot raise the price of their vehicles to pay for that.
Agreed. This is by far the richest, hardest working, most worker loyal nation on earth. Yet we can't figure out healthcare. Nurses make next to nothing. Where are the expenses?

Agreed. This is by far the richest, hardest working, most worker loyal nation on earth. Yet we can't figure out healthcare. Nurses make next to nothing. Where are the expenses?
How many industrialized countries on earth have figured out healthcare? All of them? Ours is a perfectly designed monstrosity for those feeding at the till.

Pretty much the only effective voice working people have.

How many industrialized countries on earth have figured out healthcare? All of them? Ours is a perfectly designed monstrosity for those feeding at the till.
Yep. You would like it for the Uber wealthy only. Understood.

Forum List

Back