The republican solution to poverty doesn’t make any sense

You need to take into account drug addicts, mentally unstable, and drunks. These are usually the people who cannot hold onto a job and will always be poor because of their bad habits. The simple fact of the matter is that some people choose a very bad path in life that leads to very bad things.

Even if every poor person worked hard and went to school to get better pay, who would do all those entry level jobs that are the backbone of the economy? Now of course you might be dense and say “teenagers”, but there are many entry jobs kids cannot do and even they could, there wouldn’t be nearly enough of them working during the school year.

So what’s the solution to help alleviate poverty, republicans?
/——/ I reject your premise about the supply of teenagers in the workforce. You calling anyone dense who disagrees is —— well dense on your part. The answer is simple, hard work and education. And if you disagree well you’re just dense.

Even if every poor person worked hard and went to school to get better pay, who would do all those entry level jobs that are the backbone of the economy? Now of course you might be dense and say “teenagers”, but there are many entry jobs kids cannot do and even they could, there wouldn’t be nearly enough of them working during the school year.

Don’t force dummies to stay in school beyond 6th grade.

80% of the poor don’t vote. The solution is 80% showing up every two years. Is that unrealistic? Then so is paying them more. Don’t you think by not voting they are doing it to themselves? Politicians don’t need to raise minimum wage because they won’t be punished for voting against raising wages

The best way to get out of poverty remains: 1. Stay in school. 2. Don't get pregnant, or if a male, don't get a girl pregnant. 3. Get a job, no matter how trivial the job is...at least you're working (everyone starts out at the bottom). As your job experience increases, try for better paying jobs. 3. Once you have a steady income AND can afford it, you can get married, only then have children and only as many children as you can afford. If all you can afford is one, get snipped so you don't have more, or use precautions.

The one thing I would like to add is not having children until you get into a field of work that you can use in other companies. Just because a company is paying you good enough money to get married and have kids doesn't mean that company will be around in four years. You need to have a skill set of some kind where if your company gets bought out, moves to another state or country, closes down, you still have the ability to make the same money somewhere else.

There is always going to be poverty and poor people that is the reality of the world we live in and it's not something politicans and government can fix. LBJ declared war on poverty in 1964 and despite the huge amount of money spent on anti-poverty programs over the years the impact has been minimal. I don't have a solution to the problem and after 50 plus years no politican Democrat or Republican has come up with one either.

Actually that's a factually inaccurate statement. Take a look at the US poverty level when the program started and now then you'll see different. It hasn't ended poverty but it has reduced it greatly. However a raise in wages can do it, but businesses won't do that and far too many flunkies are taking the side of ownership who don't own a business which enables them to still pay wages that keep working people in poverty.

The War on Poverty: 50 years of failure

Ray, you drive a truck. I work with programs dealing with issues like poverty. .The Heritage Foundation is a conservative think tank so what do you think their determination would be?

poverty_rate_historical_0.jpg

Poverty has been reduced since 1960.

What my source claims is that the poverty level was barely reduced since 1967 at the cost of 22 trillion dollars. Your chart confirms my so-called bias report. 1967 was three years since the War on Poverty was started which as your chart shows, was on the decline long before.

Your chart shows that poverty was just under 15% in 1967 and still in the same place in 2015. So in almost 50 years, not much has changed when it comes to poverty. A huge waste of tax dollars.

Ray, you drive trucks. I work on these issues. We didn't spend 22 trillion and the fact is the amount that was spent was a pittance and nowhere close to what was needed.

"Since the war on poverty was declared in the early 60s, the U.S. has spent only $700 billion on AFDC and welfare, the two largest welfare programs for the poor by far. The inflated $5 trillion figure includes many middle class entitlement programs like student loans, school lunches, job training, etc. Although this is indeed social spending, it is not spent on the poor, and therefore can't be used to argue against the war on poverty."

"The inclusion of middle-class entitlements in a figure intended to discredit the "War on Poverty" is a direct reflection on the statistical trustworthiness of conservative think tanks."

The US has wasted over $5 trillion on the war on poverty.

We spent more on the military in this years budget than we have spent in 40 years on poverty combined.

I don't know where you get these sites from unless you Google until you find something that suits your needs. I mean seriously......you want to use Huppi.com as evidence to your claim, and then criticize my sources?

No, we are not just talking about welfare checks and food stamps here. Do you know what Medicaid costs the federal and state governments combined? Last year that was 600 billion dollars alone. Then there are 79 other federal welfare programs. Do you mean to tell me that with 80 federal welfare programs in the US, you believe it only cost us 5 trillion in 50 years? Seriously......... that averages out to be one trillion every decade.

What is it about you liberals that you can't seem to grasp the concept of "advancement" in the job place?

Entry level should be rather self explanatory...it's a job that you start out at with very little training. As you learn job skills you move up the ladder to higher paying...more skilled jobs.

What's YOUR solution to alleviating poverty? Getting rid of entry level jobs by making them so expensive that employers turn to self serve kiosks? So how does that help young people with no job skills GET the skills they need?

Don’t force dummies to stay in school beyond 6th grade.

80% of the poor don’t vote. The solution is 80% showing up every two years. Is that unrealistic? Then so is paying them more. Don’t you think by not voting they are doing it to themselves? Politicians don’t need to raise minimum wage because they won’t be punished for voting against raising wages

You don't have to be making minimum wage to support it. How many Democrat voters do you know that don't support the entire Democrat agenda? It's all a dog and pony show.

Our minimum wage workforce is only a little over 3%. Even if the Democrats made them happy, it's not enough for them to put so much effort into passing increases. And remember how many of these minimum wage workers are not even old enough to vote yet.

The Republican solution to poverty is the old proverb.......Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

But what happens when there are no more fish in the pond?

Republicans just say......not my problem

The Republican solution to poverty is the old proverb.......Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime

Ah...if there are no more fish in the pond then how are you going to "give" that man his fish?

Perhaps the dumbest analogy of all time, Winger!

That is why they need to be working, so that we can all produce MORE fish. We all have to do our part and pull our weight in this world. Otherwise, you are a burden on society.

What is it about you liberals that you can't seem to grasp the concept of "advancement" in the job place?

Entry level should be rather self explanatory...it's a job that you start out at with very little training. As you learn job skills you move up the ladder to higher paying...more skilled jobs.

What's YOUR solution to alleviating poverty? Getting rid of entry level jobs by making them so expensive that employers turn to self serve kiosks? So how does that help young people with no job skills GET the skills they need?

It boils down to the theory of the horse and the carrot.

My first job (besides working on the side with my father who was a bricklayer) was at a car wash. What made me leave the car wash and seek other jobs was the fact minimum wage didn't pay enough. But unskilled, I couldn't find much else. So I went from the car wash to another unskilled labor job at minimum wage, then another, then another.

While my pay didn't increase much, I got good references and I learned more things as I went along. Eventually I learned enough things to get a better paying job, and learned even more things there.

Imagine if we had todays liberals back in the 70's when I had that car wash job. Left to them, I would have made enough to be happy and never ventured out into the world to better myself. I probably would have never found my trade. I may have worked at that car wash until I was 30. Then when I entered upper middle-age and decided I wasn't making enough, it would have been too late to start learning new things.

I spend my days in industrial areas. Most all of them are littered with HELP WANTED signs. Some of these places are our customers. They can't drag people into the company to work.

There are plenty of fish out there, it's just that we feed our fishermen so they have no desire to fish.

Nothing wrong with giving a helping hand when it is needed, and it should always be temporary until a person is able to get back to working and taking care of him/herself. Everyone has hard times and needs help sometimes. Some people don't have the luxury of having family that can or will help them and don't have a place to turn in hard times, so I don't mind helping people temporarily. However, when you want to invite even MORE poverty into the country (via illegal or even sometimes legal immigrants), then you are creating a burden on society. If you do not have enough jobs for the people, then you are going to have poor people who are dependent on everyone else to help them throughout their entire lives. That is why you cannot keep on taking people into your country. Take a look at some of the countries like Sweden who are having a housing crisis, yet they keep taking in more immigrants. There were even cases where the immigrants complained that they were homeless because this country (Sweden) was not able to provide them with any place to live upon their arrival to the country. You can't get blood from a stone.

It boils down to the theory of the horse and the carrot.

My first job (besides working on the side with my father who was a bricklayer) was at a car wash. What made me leave the car wash and seek other jobs was the fact minimum wage didn't pay enough. But unskilled, I couldn't find much else. So I went from the car wash to another unskilled labor job at minimum wage, then another, then another.

While my pay didn't increase much, I got good references and I learned more things as I went along. Eventually I learned enough things to get a better paying job, and learned even more things there.

Imagine if we had todays liberals back in the 70's when I had that car wash job. Left to them, I would have made enough to be happy and never ventured out into the world to better myself. I probably would have never found my trade. I may have worked at that car wash until I was 30. Then when I entered upper middle-age and decided I wasn't making enough, it would have been too late to start learning new things.

Well, as long as your mind is still working, I don't think it is ever too late to learn new things. Making at a living at it may be another story though, as usually some experience is required. :)

""""" So trumpeters, where is the infrastructure that our country was promised going to come from? Trumpet is busy stealing all the funds for a worthless wall, a war he is desperately trying to start in order to save his own ass, and in the process, nothing is being returned to the country. How does it feel to be conned?"""""

psssh. . . I don't know Obamabot, probably the same place those shovel ready jobs are at. . .

I don't know, but the leftists really need to understand that driving businesses away from the United States harms everyone, all of us. They are much too focused on punishing businesses for having too much. They don't seem to understand unintended consequences of their actions, or they just don't consider them and ignore them. I'm not really sure.

problems where there for 8 years under obama, what was HIS solution?

problems where there for 8 years under obama, what was HIS solution?

Didn't you hear? Obama had SOLVED poverty but then evil Trump came along and ruined everything! Mwa ha ha! Lol.

Forum List

Back