Zone1 The REAL REPARATIONS story that is rarely told, for obvious reasons.

I carry no guilt. I stand for black people because it’s the right thing to do. Matter of fact it is the way of my culture. I won’t be silenced until all people are treated equally. Colonizers( those who have the colonizer mindset) don’t get this but they will.
More power to ya. I'll pass.

Keep ignoring the problem. I’m sure it will go away.
It is your issue, not mine. I don't care if it goes away or stays. I won't be supporting, so it won't bother me.

Precedents have been set as other groups who have been harmed by the government have received reparations. As for the tired worn out excuse of “why should I pay for something I did not do,” here is an example of reparations made in modern times for things done by past generations.

I am quite sure no one living in 1980 was alive when the U.S. government made the Fort Laramie treaty with the Sioux Nation or were participants in Custers violation of that treaty. Nor were they alive when President Grant decided it was OK to let settlers and people prospecting for gold tresspass into land promised to the Sioux thereby violating the treaty. No one in 1980 was alive when the U.S. government decided to take the land from the Sioux by military force. No one in 1980 was alive when the U.S. government decided to cut off supplies they promised the Sioux as condition for their surrender after whipping the U.S. Army at The Battle of Little Bighorn. But in 1980, the government of the United States decided reparations were due to the Sioux Nation for what was done to them in the 1800’s. They awarded the Sioux nation 105 million dollars..

O.K.? Maybe it's time that stale argument ended. Because reparations aren't just for slavery. But this is the disingenuous argument used as opposition.

Text: H.R.40 — 117th Congress (2021-2022)​

(5) following the abolition of slavery the United States Government, at the Federal, State, and local level, continued to perpetuate, condone and often profit from practices that continued to brutalize and disadvantage African Americans, including share cropping, convict leasing, Jim Crow, redlining, unequal education, and disproportionate treatment at the hands of the criminal justice system; and

(6) as a result of the historic and continued discrimination, African Americans continue to suffer debilitating economic, educational, and health hardships including but not limited to having nearly 1,000,000 Black people incarcerated; an unemployment rate more than twice the current White unemployment rate; and an average of less than 1⁄16 of the wealth of White families, a disparity which has worsened, not improved over time.

(b) Duties.—The Commission shall perform the following duties:

Identify, compile and synthesize the relevant corpus of evidentiary documentation of the institution of slavery which existed within the United States and the colonies that became the United States from 1619 through 1865. The Commission’s documentation and examination shall include but not be limited to the facts related to—

The Federal and State laws that discriminated against formerly enslaved Africans and their descendants who were deemed United States citizens from 1868 to the present.

Negroes owe reparations to Whites for all the crimes they have committed and for all the welfare they received as payment for voting for Democrat.

Fair is fair.

Your people profited at the expense of black people. You need to acknowledge that and make it right.
They got citizenship, several Black colleges, free land and a much better life than if our DISTANT ancestors had shipped them back to Africa after the Civil War. It was "made right" generations ago, slavery reparations now is a ridiculous demand.

They got citizenship, several Black colleges, free land and a much better life than if our DISTANT ancestors had shipped them back to Africa after the Civil War. It was "made right" generations ago, slavery reparations now is a ridiculous demand.
They also got raped, murdered, families torn apart, sold. But hey free college!

It is impossible to know the percentages, but what is undeniable is freed Black slaves and their kids acquired 19 MILLION ACRES OF LAND in the 40 years following the Civil War. That was not by sharecropping, that was land ownership most of that was gifted through the Homestead Act.

Sure it is. You count up the amount of arable farmland in the us, take the supposed 19 million that sharecroppers were tricked into being linked to, and divide it, and you get less than 2%. The rest was owned by whites.

In that case, I might vote Republican next election. After all your issues don’t matter to me.
Well I hope you vote for a good one, instead of just supporting the two front-runners, but it's your vote.

Have you ever heard that Lincoln met with black activist during the civil war to offer all former slaves land in Central America to form their own nation? It is an interesting "what if" exercises.

My people were farmers and there is nothing to show they benefitted from slavery.
There is nothing for me to make right. Get your money from the tribe that sold your ancestor into slavery for being from the losing tribe. Your biggest problem is in Africa, if you can even trace your lineage back that far.
Bingo. And those brought here fared far better than those enslaved in there home lands.

Forum List

Back