The Railway Man

Sgt_Gath

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2014

The Railway Man (2013)

This was kind of an interesting flick, and based on a true story. A middle aged couple, one a socially awkward war veteran with a lifelong fascination with trains (Colin Firth), and the other a divorced nurse (Nicole Kidman), meet on a train, fall in love, and marry.

Unfortunately, however, it turns out that Firth is suffering from severe PTSD as a result of being tortured during his time as a prisoner of war with the Japanese Army during WW2. For all intents and purposes, he's barely functional as a human being; being prone to flashbacks, inexplicable fits of rage, and complete emotional withdrawal in times of stress.

In order to help him out of this, a friend tracks down the man who tortured Firth during the war, and encourages him to take revenge. I won't spoil the ending, but Firth agrees to make the trip, and confronts his former captor.

This movie wasn't quite as powerful as it could have been, IMO, but it certainly manages to get it's point across in a resonant manner. It also offered a fairly moving portrayal of the problems caused by PTSD, which I found to be in good taste.

Overall, I'd give it 7 out of 10.

Forum List

Back