The racist history of the confederate flag

the america of 1979 to 1985 disagreed.

can you explain that?

I can

Blacks in 1979 and 1985 were offended by that flag and urged it to be taken down. Their objections were ignored

Mr Dylann Root came along and once again proudly used that flag as well as the flags of South Africa and Rhodesia as a symbol of his racist leanings

We are now taking the objections of the black community seriously

link to show that the blacks of 1979 to 1985 were offended by the flag and demanded it be taken down. it would be especially cool if they could relate to the dukes.

mr roof was a raving madman.

we were taking the black community seriously in the 80s.

THE DUKES OF HAZARD!

:ack-1:

:bang3:

i see no link supporting your claim.
My claim is this:

Anyone who watches The Dukes of Hazard is a moron
Anyone who admits to liking The Dukes of Hazard is a moron
Anyone who would use The Dukes of Hazard to justify the Confederate Flag is a moron

1. bullshit. smart people can enjoy senseless action just as much as anyone.

2. bullshit. see above.

3. a lie. you know that has not been my point. why are you afraid to honestly respond to my point?

oh. right. you can't.

and you do not have the intellectual honesty to admit that.

so, did you try to find a link to support your claim that the black of 1979-85 were offended by the flag and tried to get it removed/taken down?

tried and failed?

I can

Blacks in 1979 and 1985 were offended by that flag and urged it to be taken down. Their objections were ignored

Mr Dylann Root came along and once again proudly used that flag as well as the flags of South Africa and Rhodesia as a symbol of his racist leanings

link to show that the blacks of 1979 to 1985 were offended by the flag and demanded it be taken down. it would be especially cool if they could relate to the dukes.

THE DUKES OF HAZARD!

My claim is this:

Anyone who would use The Dukes of Hazard to justify the Confederate Flag is a moron
You are a moron.

Actually.......I'm just a good ole boy, never meaning no harm

Unsurprisingly we aren't surprised. The Confederacy was all about states rights, and those rights were about preserving the rich white land owners's right to own other people. Not a nobel cause. Given that a lot of slave owning southerners years earlier signed their names to the Constitution. "All men are created equal" wasn't taken literally.

Not just "other people".

Black people.

Indentured servitude of non-blacks was long a thing of the past.

good catch staat!

can't have mary thinking of slaves as "people".

it is very important to remember that they were "black people".

can you explain why?

Am I missing something? Blacks ARE people. Not a different class, sub set or alternative. I don't understand why some posters are accentuating race in the same way racists do...

that was my point...

almost makes you question your assumptions about who are the racists...

THE DUKES OF HAZARD!

My claim is this:

You are a moron.

Actually.......I'm just a good ole boy, never meaning no harm

i don't recall the duke boys ever lying.

Democrat motto: Never let a good crisis or dead bodies go to waste

USE them to further your HATEFUL political agenda

What is HATEFUL about wanting an offensive flag to be taken down in a time of grief?

What is OFFENSIVE is your lack of knowledge and understanding about the flag. :cuckoo:

You know nothing expect that spoon-fed garbage that you were just gullible enough to believe in and accept. :cuckoo:

actually, not so much.

slavery was not a result of the civil war, and very few blacks fought it the war.

a descendant of union soldiers might have something to complain about.

of course those soldiers, the ones that lived, were part of the american society that put the civil war behind them and healed the nation's wounds.

and their children's children's children do not have the moral authority to undo those choices.

No, it was the CAUSE of the Civil War.

Nice try.

I see you learned well from David Duke.

Liar! :eusa_liar:

The Civil War was not fought over slavery.

Slavery wasn t the main cause of the Civil War - tribunedigital-baltimoresun

Get your goddamn facts straight, dumbass.

actually, not so much.

slavery was not a result of the civil war, and very few blacks fought it the war.

of course those soldiers, the ones that lived, were part of the american society that put the civil war behind them and healed the nation's wounds.

and their children's children's children do not have the moral authority to undo those choices.

Nice try.

Only a idiot refuses to see slavery was the main reason for the war.... for fuck sakes it was in thier constitution

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

the america of 1979 to 1985 disagreed.

can you explain that?

I can

THE DUKES OF HAZARD!

My claim is this:

Can't agree. Mindless as the TV show may have been (it's TV after all), the fact that here were a couple of guys who had nothing whatsoever to do with racism, sporting a CF on their car, confirms what I've been saying all along -- that it's a cultural symbol, a marque representing geography, language, cuisine, music, having dinner and supper rather than lunch and dinner -- all those things that identify one's roots.

In the context of the show that flag on the car serves as a setting marker -- tells the viewer where the action is taking place. Clearly it carries got no message of racism.

To go around claiming "it's a racist symbol and that's all it is" is at best disingenuous. Yes it's used that way, usually by those who aren't real bright at their own history like Dylann Roof -- but that doesn't mean there's no other interpretation or that Dylann Roof is some kind of CEO of What The Flag Means. It just doesn't. That's an association fallacy no better than "all liberals this", "all conservatives that" or "all blacks the other thing".

And if you think about it, unless you want to paint a great big pitcher of sweet tea on the car, or a cartoon of a waitress pointing at margarine and calling it "butter", there really isn't another logo that serves the same cultural icon for the South. I can't think of one.

Last edited:
actually, not so much.

Nice try.

Only a idiot refuses to see slavery was the main reason for the war.... for fuck sakes it was in thier constitution

slavery was the main reason for the war

Bullshit! :bs1:

States Rights was the issue, NOT SLAVERY!

Only a dumbass would ignore the facts, and believe the bullshit. :cuckoo:

actually, not so much.

Nice try.

slavery was the main reason for the war

Bullshit! :bs1:

States Rights was the issue, NOT SLAVERY!

Only a dumbass would ignore the facts, and believe the bullshit. :cuckoo:
The states right to have slavery.

The flag was used as a means to put Civil Rights marchers in their place

BE026043.jpg

why is that photo in black and white?

oh, because it so so old that color film was not in common use.

sometime in the 50s, most likely. perhaps early 60s.
Yes, that was the time of the Civil Rights marches. It makes perfect sense.

BE026043.jpg

It is a very long time ago. A lot has happened since then. Most of those people are probably dead.

BE026043.jpg

It is a very long time ago. A lot has happened since then. Most of those people are probably dead.
Ask the KKK, CCC, and Neo-Nazis who still use the Confederate Flag.

BE026043.jpg

Ask the KKK, CCC, and Neo-Nazis who still use the Confederate Flag.

The Klan?

All 5 k of them?

LOL! Why do they get to define that flag?

Neo-Nazis in Germany, where the Swastika is banned, use the Confederate Flag.

So, now neo-nazis in Germany are more important that millions of Americans who are proud of their southern heritage?

How many neo nazis are we talking about? couple of dozen? COuple of hundred?

So, now neo-nazis in Germany are more important that millions of Americans who are proud of their southern heritage?

The confederate flag is used in several European countries by far right racial purists. Ask David Duke, who was asked to leave.

The confederate flag is used in several European countries by far right racial purists. Ask David Duke, who was asked to leave.

David Duke?! NOw your taking your cues from David Duke?

IMO the only possible use for David Duke is that his presidential campaign revealed how weak White Supremacy is in America.

You ever review his elections returns when he ran for Presidency after the truth came out?

Funny stuff. Got 1% of the vote in his home state!

David Duke?! NOw your taking your cues from David Duke?

IMO the only possible use for David Duke is that his presidential campaign revealed how weak White Supremacy is in America.

You ever review his elections returns when he ran for Presidency after the truth came out?

Funny stuff. Got 1% of the vote in his home state!
In 1988 he ran in several Democratic Presidential campaigns, winning no primaries and gaining substantial votes only in the South, but the campaign was given widespread media coverage, which made Duke famous. In 1989 he switched parties and was elected to the Louisiana House as a Republican. In 1990 he ran for the US Senate, receiving 44% of the vote against the Democratic incumbent, J. Bennett Johnston. In his 1991 campaign for Louisiana Governor, he received 39% of the vote, losing to Edwin Edwards. Remarkably, however, Duke received somewhere between 55% and 60% of the white vote.
David Duke

Forum List

Back