The research on Maidan of Professor Ivan Katchanovski

Tom Paine 1949

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2020
Some close observers of the ā€œMaidan Revolutionā€ in 2014 have long been aware of the controversial academic research of Canadian (West Ukrainian born) professor IvĆ”n Katchanovski. Blacked out by mainstream Western and Ukrainian media, Katchanovski opposed Putinā€™s ā€œillegal invasionā€ of Ukraine on Feb. 24th, 2022. Yet he argued, on the basis of abundant evidence in large part later confirmed by a Ukrainian trial into the murders, ā€œThe Maidan massacre was a rationally organized false-flag operationā€ put into effect by extreme right-wing Ukrainian nationalist or possibly Georgian snipers.

I myself have spent two years arguing that despite any of this the U.S. must not abandon Ukraine to the bloody Russian invasion. I still maintain that this is crucial, and that any eventual ā€œpeace agreementā€ must not be made at the dictates of Moscow and Putin. I was glad the Russians failed in their initial attack on Kiev in 2022. Nevertheless, I also felt a sense of tragedy as the country got torn apart and originally felt deep unease watching the actual Maidan Revolution unfold in 2014.

I warned then that the upheaval might lead to a tragedy, or an ā€œendless war,ā€ and felt the U.S. might prove an unreliable partner for naive Ukrainian nationalist students and workers who understandably wanted to join the EU, fight corruption, and establish and secure their own freedoms from Russian interference.

I donā€™t know exactly how much of IvĆ”n Katchanovskiā€˜s very extensive research (and opinions) are accurate, but I think itā€™s necessary that the historical record at least be aware of the issues he raises. Here are excerpts and quotes from a recent interview with Katchanovski which contain more links to his research:

ā€œMy academic study concerning the Maidan massacre in Ukraine and my new Canadian Dimension article ā€¦ note ā€¦ the misrepresentation of this massacre by Ursula Von Der Leyen [describing the murder of the ā€˜Heavenly Hundredā€™ Ukrainian nationalists demonstrating on Maidan Square on Black Thursday, Feb 20th, 2014]. As a Ukrainian who always supported democracy, human rights, freedom, the rule of law and the EU membership of Ukraine, I regard her statements [as] simply Orwellian.

The false flag [my emphasis] Maidan massacre of the protesters and the police was a major crime and human rights violation and a key element of the undemocratic overthrow of the Ukrainian government ā€¦ Most of Maidan protesters were shot by snipers in the Maidan-controlled locations ā€¦

[On the larger question of Putinā€™s bloody invasion and his self-serving Russian imperialist misreading of history:]

ā€œMy academic studies show that contrary to the Russian government and media claims, which they use to justify the illegal Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, the Ukrainian government and the Ukrainian military are not Nazi or neo-Nazi. Ukraineā€™s President Volodymyr Zelensky is not neo-Nazi.ā€ā€¦

Putin called the Russia-Ukraine war a ā€œcivil warā€ based on his false claim that Russians and Ukrainians are one people. However, my studies show that this war, in addition to being a war between Russia and Ukraine and a proxy war between NATO or the West and Russia, includes elements of a civil war which started in Donbas in Ukraine in 2014.

IvĆ”n Katchanovski: ā€œThe Maidan massacre was a rationally organized false-flag operationā€ - Diario Red

Last edited:
Same logic with 911, even though in July 2001 Alex Jones said EXACTLY that there was to be a false flag involving Osama bin Laden flying planes into the WTC, we still needed to spend countless trillions and implement the Surveillance State, cuz War on Terror.

Some close observers of the ā€œMaidan Revolutionā€ in 2014 have long been aware of the controversial academic research of Canadian (West Ukrainian born) professor IvĆ”n Katchanovski. Blacked out by mainstream Western and Ukrainian media, Katchanovski opposed Putinā€™s ā€œillegal invasionā€ of Ukraine on Feb. 24th, 2022. Yet he argued, on the basis of abundant evidence in large part later confirmed by a Ukrainian trial into the murders, ā€œThe Maidan massacre was a rationally organized false-flag operationā€ put into effect by extreme right-wing Ukrainian nationalist or possibly Georgian snipers.

I myself have spent two years arguing that despite any of this the U.S. must not abandon Ukraine to the bloody Russian invasion. I still maintain that this is crucial, and that any eventual ā€œpeace agreementā€ must not be made at the dictates of Moscow and Putin. I was glad the Russians failed in their initial attack on Kiev in 2022. Nevertheless, I also felt a sense of tragedy as the country got torn apart and originally felt deep unease watching the actual Maidan Revolution unfold in 2014.

I warned then that the upheaval might lead to a tragedy, or an ā€œendless war,ā€ and felt the U.S. might prove an unreliable partner for naive Ukrainian nationalist students and workers who understandably wanted to join the EU, fight corruption, and establish and secure their own freedoms from Russian interference.

I donā€™t know exactly how much of IvĆ”n Katchanovskiā€˜s very extensive research (and opinions) are accurate, but I think itā€™s necessary that the historical record at least be aware of the issues he raises. Here are excerpts and quotes from a recent interview with Katchanovski which contain more links to his research:

ā€œMy academic study concerning the Maidan massacre in Ukraine and my new Canadian Dimension article ā€¦ note ā€¦ the misrepresentation of this massacre by Ursula Von Der Leyen [describing the murder of the ā€˜Heavenly Hundredā€™ Ukrainian nationalists demonstrating on Maidan Square on Black Thursday, Feb 20th, 2014]. As a Ukrainian who always supported democracy, human rights, freedom, the rule of law and the EU membership of Ukraine, I regard her statements [as] simply Orwellian.

The false flag [my emphasis] Maidan massacre of the protesters and the police was a major crime and human rights violation and a key element of the undemocratic overthrow of the Ukrainian government ā€¦ Most of Maidan protesters were shot by snipers in the Maidan-controlled locations ā€¦

[On the larger question of Putinā€™s bloody invasion and his self-serving Russian imperialist misreading of history:]

ā€œMy academic studies show that contrary to the Russian government and media claims, which they use to justify the illegal Russian invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, the Ukrainian government and the Ukrainian military are not Nazi or neo-Nazi. Ukraineā€™s President Volodymyr Zelensky is not neo-Nazi.ā€ā€¦

Putin called the Russia-Ukraine war a ā€œcivil warā€ based on his false claim that Russians and Ukrainians are one people. However, my studies show that this war, in addition to being a war between Russia and Ukraine and a proxy war between NATO or the West and Russia, includes elements of a civil war which started in Donbas in Ukraine in 2014.

IvĆ”n Katchanovski: ā€œThe Maidan massacre was a rationally organized false-flag operationā€ - Diario Red
It's just a mystery on why you take the time and effort to reveal the truth, when it then requires you to blame Russia?

Is it because you believe it's best to be proactive, over a suspicion that the true facts are coming out soon anyway?
Or maybe you are planning on getting on board with the R's efforts to hold back funding for Biden's war?

Tell us Tom.

Same logic with 911, even though in July 2001 Alex Jones said EXACTLY that there was to be a false flag involving Osama bin Laden flying planes into the WTC, we still needed to spend countless trillions and implement the Surveillance State, cuz War on Terror.
Yeah, you go with Alex Jones and Osama bin Laden ā€¦

:abgg2q.jpg:

It's just a mystery on why you take the time and effort to reveal the truth, when it then requires you to blame Russia?

Is it because you believe it's best to be proactive, over a suspicion that the true facts are coming out soon anyway?
Or maybe you are planning on getting on board with the R's efforts to hold back funding for Biden's war?

Tell us Tom.
Well, believe what you wantā€¦

Truth is you are an immature fool and clearly canā€™t concieve of nuances and complications in national struggles like this one.

I suppose you think the creation of Israel was also simply ā€œa Western conspiracyā€? Or maybe, given what happened at the King David Hotel in July 1946, you think the State of Israel was established primarily by Jewish ā€œfascistsā€ and ā€œNazisā€? Which one was it?

Last edited:
Well, believe what you wantā€¦

Truth is you are an immature fool and clearly canā€™t concieve of nuances and complications in national struggles like this one.

I suppose you think the creation of Israel was also simply ā€œa Western conspiracyā€? Or maybe, given what happened at the King David Hotel in July 1946, you think the State of Israel was established primarily by Jewish ā€œfascistsā€ and ā€œNazisā€? Which one was it?
Don't be embarrassed over your opinions, just tell us how you have nuanced it to suit the facts on why and how America caused the war.

I was only wondering why you felt that you had to open a can of worms for yourself, when you knew you would have to explain it away?

There seems to be an abundance of Russian history available to the American public lately but not so much American history.

Forum List

Back