The quality of threads and debates has dropped on this board

Used to be really fun to debate on here. Is this a normal decline around election time? There are so many Jerry Springer style topics now that earnest debate is rare unless a thread is derailed.

It's a plot to get you to stop posting at USMB.

LOL

It may work. Losing IQ points isn't at the top of my priority list.

:)

Especially since you have so few to spare.

So you want debate but your tag line insults the supposed other side of the aisle. Poor gambit.

Equally as worthy as this thread.

But whatcha gonna do? :dunno:

Well, I do this....

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...ds-and-debates-has-dropped-on-this-board.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...idates-back-on-subject-economy-jobs-govt.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...-bill-to-fight-obamas-contraception-rule.html

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...he-liberal-media-are-conspiring-together.html

Oddly enough the threads I make that get the most discussion beyond this one? My actual troll threads. But according to you I'm a hypocrites for pointing that out. Sometimes this shit gets so old its second nature to mock the stupid threads by creating one mocking them.

Used to be really fun to debate on here. Is this a normal decline around election time? There are so many Jerry Springer style topics now that earnest debate is rare unless a thread is derailed.

I have posted in multiple threads asking those on the Right to explain their ideas and positions so we could discuss them, and seldom do they ever. You're guilty of that in fact.

I think if you want to have a better level of debate, then start by personally offering a better level of debate.

I am asking you then the following question:
Which action by Obama has not only the greater chance, i.e. more opportunities to occur and the greater amount of damage:
1 million barrels in a tanker on stormy Ocean every day with risks of :
1) crew errors... 2) equipment failure 3) bad weather
AND if the chances are better to have a shipwreck (Exxon Valdez!!!) and the damages are greater i.e. 1,000s of miles of Ocean and wildlife..
VERSUS
At most 325 barrels in ONE mile of pipeline!

Please I want a simple answer because this seems to still have cause for debate I don't understand 1 million barrels in a tanker is more the 325 barrels in 1 mile of pipe!

I have set up a challenge in the Rep zone. If anyone here can produce a 200+ word sensible essay on the topic of your choice I will rep you every day for a week. If you want a better board.... Make a better board.

I have the feeling I won't be giving out much rep on this

It's a plot to get you to stop posting at USMB.

LOL

It may work. Losing IQ points isn't at the top of my priority list.

:)

Especially since you have so few to spare.

So you want debate but your tag line insults the supposed other side of the aisle. Poor gambit.

I was waiting for someone to gobble up the bait. Didn't figure it would be you. I was counting on dontbestupid and you've now ruined my diabolical master insult, thanks.

Ps. Gotta love the sig :)

The problem: posters resort to insults and personal attacks rather than rational argument.

The Solution: stop saying the other side is stupid or diseased as your opening bid.

If your avatar says the other side is stupid, how can we possibly have a discussion that rises above snarky garbage?

In short, we have a number of posters who don't come here to engage the other side. Nope, most people come here to repeat talk radio slurs against "the enemy".

And then we worry why the quality of debate is so low?

For instance: I favor markets over a centrally planned economy. I believe that markets allocate resources more effectively than bureaucrats, who lack the necessary information to make informed choices. I have a dog-eared copy of Milton Friedman's "Capitalism and Freedom". Consider his explanation of how a pencil is made by the free market where you have the voluntary calibration of materials and labor from distant locations, with no central management. This is the essence of capitalism - free suppliers supplying services to free consumers whose free choices regulate what the capitalist brings to market, and at what price. This is preferable. It's an economy based on freedom.

However, I believe this quaint version of capitalism is threatened more by big business than anything else. Indeed, the market winners use their financial leverage to buy elections, staff government, write their own laws, monopolize markets and thus end competition. I think government's proper role is to prevent monopolies from engaging in anti-consumer & anti-competitive behavior. I think the point of government is to prevent Big Money from buying Democracy. I think there are rational reasons to support FDR's Glass-Stegall Act, which created a wall between investment and commercial banking - (-that is, I support effective regulations which prevent the financial system from gambling with the savings of their customers, like we saw with the S&Ls and the Housing Meltdown). I think big business has fooled my opponents into supporting their concentrated control of politics, media, and markets. I think we need to return to the form of managed capitalism we had in the fifties, before presidents like Ronald Reagan stopped enforcing the Sherman Act. I think we need to make it harder for special interests to buy government and rig markets.

But . . . my opponents would rather call me diseased because I'm not a conservative. They don't think I'm worthy of debate. They don't want to discuss the world with me. They want to attack me as a crazy liberal. They don't want to discuss ideas. They have no interest in trying to figure out which regulations make sense (because they genuinely prevent corruption and protect competition) and which don't (because they place unnecessary constants on the efficient allocation of resources). They just come here to flame liberals for having a mental disorder.

(and then they have the audacity to complain about the quality of the debate)

(wow, just wow)

Last edited:

Your Rightie friends are the one's who CONSISTENTLY FAIL to provide links to back-up their zaney :cuckoo: RANDIAN assertions. :clap2: i remember when I asked a Rightie to back-up his assertion & he claimed it was "in his car" :eusa_eh: When pressed further he said he heard it on the radio :lol: No link, didn't happen ESPECIALLY when you are starting a thread.

The sig and avatar are for fun. Get over it.

Better yet, point out the same type of insulting phrase from your own side and then I will take you seriously. In this very thread I've listed threads I have made that show I'm open to differing opinions. If your stuck on a cartoon and a slogan then we weren't going to participate in an open dialogue anyhow.

The problem: posters resort to insults and personal attacks rather than rational argument.

The Solution: stop saying the other side is stupid or diseased as your opening bid.

If your avatar says the other side is stupid, how can we possibly have a discussion that rises above snarky garbage?

In short, we have a number of posters who don't come here to engage the other side. Nope, most people come here to repeat talk radio slurs against "the enemy".

And then we worry why the quality of debate is so low?

For instance: I favor markets over a centrally planned economy. I believe that markets allocate resources more effectively than bureaucrats, who lack the necessary information to make informed choices. I have a dog-eared copy of Milton Friedman's "Capitalism and Freedom". Consider his explanation of how a pencil is made by the free market where you have the voluntary calibration of materials and labor from distant locations, with no central management. This is the essence of capitalism - free suppliers supplying services to free consumers whose free choices regulate what the capitalist brings to market, and at what price. This is preferable. It's an economy based on freedom.

However, I believe this quaint version of capitalism is threatened more by big business than anything else. Indeed, the market winners use their financial leverage to buy elections, staff government, write their own laws, monopolize markets and thus end competition. I think government's proper role is to prevent monopolies from engaging in anti-consumer & anti-competitive behavior. I think the point of government is to prevent Big Money from buying Democracy. I think there are rational reasons to support FDR's Glass-Stegall Act, which created a wall between investment and commercial banking - (-that is, I support effective regulations which prevent the financial system from gambling with the savings of their customers, like we saw with the S&Ls and the Housing Meltdown). I think big business has fooled my opponents into supporting their concentrated control of politics, media, and markets. I think we need to return to the form of managed capitalism we had in the fifties, before presidents like Ronald Reagan stopped enforcing the Sherman Act. I think we need to make it harder for special interests to buy government and rig markets.

But . . . my opponents would rather call me diseased because I'm not a conservative. They don't think I'm worthy of debate. They don't want to discuss the world with me. They want to attack me as a crazy liberal. They don't want to discuss ideas. They have no interest in trying to figure out which regulations make sense (because they genuinely prevent corruption and protect competition) and which don't (because they place unnecessary constants on the efficient allocation of resources). They just come here to flame liberals for having a mental disorder.

(and then they have the audacity to complain about the quality of the debate)

(wow, just wow)

That's all great except there are two problems with your post. You claim that the person complaining about a lack of good threads has called you crazy. Seeing as how its my thread I find that strange since I don't even know you and have never called you any names.

Unless were back to crying about my sig. And in that case.......much ado about nothing.

Better yet, point out the same type of insulting phrase from your own side and then I will take you seriously. In this very thread I've listed threads I have made that show I'm open to differing opinions. If your stuck on a cartoon and a slogan then we weren't going to participate in an open dialogue anyhow.

If they are, as you say "for fun", why would it be a huge burden, on your part, to exchange them for a grown- up siggie asswipe?

If they are, as you say "for fun", why would it be a huge burden, on your part, to exchange them for a grown- up siggie asswipe?

Because this is a free country and its my choice to be who I am, not yours to make for me.

Because this is a free country and its my choice to be who I am, not yours to make for me.

So you keep your "sig and avatar" which "are for fun." and serious debaters will avoid you :) Talk about pot callin' the kettle. :rolleyes:

There are only hacks on this board. It's not even good for trolling.

I'll speak my mind, but will get lambasted by either Political Chic, Jillian, or Dave Man and since rep counts so much around here, why do I care? Or that biker dude who has sand in his vagina......what is his name? Then you got a plethora of other sleezebags.

You are all fucking hacks. Why would anyone care to discuss a reasonable topic on this board? I'll go elsewhere. This board is only good for trolling and it is not even good at that.

Last edited:

If you think this is bad, you haven't seen anything yet. Wait till like September/October.

Forum List

Back