The Psychology of Campus PC

Deny and deflect and make it about me all you want, Regressives.

You've managed to find a place to the Left of THESE people. Impressive!

:laugh:

1_zpsu1ewjewt.png~original

If I thought I could communicate with you Regressives, I would keep trying. To date, I haven't figured out a way. I may some day.

Actually talking to people and realizing they don't agree with your points would be a good start.

And I appreciate the Straw Man. My problem is not with the kids. They're kids. My problem is with the "adults" who enable these behaviors for the most cynical reasons. The Regressives. And the liberals I regularly quote agree with me.

Again, this is where you are patronizing.

These are kids who are 18-22. We send these "kids" off to fight wars for our country. If they are old enough and mature enough to come back from some foreign land in a box with a flag over it, they are mature enough to decide, they don't want to hear Bill Maher and his Islamophobic Bullshit on their campus.

And this is your problem, you don't respect that people come by opinions honestly. They don't agree with your view that there's a PC Police? Why, the "Regressives" must be brainwashing them.

Maybe you see that, maybe you don't. Since you folks are such habitual liars, I'll probably never know.

Oh, I agree that you will never know, because that would require you to understand, people have opinions they've come by honestly.

I think you honestly came by your opinion that PC was bad when someone called your ass down to HR for that joke they didn't think was funny.

Real, actual, honest liberals:

And Mac goes to his happy place, where people agree with his silliness.

The OP literally can sit back and allow Joe to be his best example.

Of showing what a silly person he is? Um, yeah. He is a silly person
"they are mature enough to decide, they don't want to hear Bill Maher and his Islamophobic Bullshit on their campus. "

Then they should just not attend, or they should just hold a protest. It's not "their campus", any more than the local mall becomes "my mall" when I visit.

And Maher is not Islamophobic.

Canary in a coal mine - and all but the 'deaf' can hear the 'sound of silence' over the jackhammers.

Trend or anomaly?

'It's becoming increasingly apparent that conservative speakers aren't welcome on college and university campuses.'

Well, I'm sure that institutions of learning where they teach about talking snakes will always welcome these guys

Why any real college should is a mystery.

Here's a crazy idea. Let's get rid of the concept of commencement speakers altogether. They really add nothing to the experience, which should be for the grads and their families.

nvitations extended to nine speakers this year raised the ire of students or professors, prompting protests, the threat of at least one boycott –- and the withdrawal Saturday of former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice from the commencement ceremony at Rutgers University. She previously was scheduled to address Rutgers students and receive an honorary Doctor of Laws degree May 18. But some faculty members had protested that choice due to Rice’s role in the Iraq War'

Condi Rice is a fucking War criminal! the only place that bitch should be doing an "address" is in front of an international tribunal at the Hague.

Students are the noise makers - not the decision makers.

Or they are people standing up for what they believe in.

Joe, if nothing else you are a prime example of why I detest today's liberals. You're very useful to have around, in fact I truly hope you continue to post away on the internet, especially around election time.

Canary in a coal mine - and all but the 'deaf' can hear the 'sound of silence' over the jackhammers.

Trend or anomaly?

'It's becoming increasingly apparent that conservative speakers aren't welcome on college and university campuses.'

Well, I'm sure that institutions of learning where they teach about talking snakes will always welcome these guys

Here's a crazy idea. Let's get rid of the concept of commencement speakers altogether. They really add nothing to the experience, which should be for the grads and their families.

nvitations extended to nine speakers this year raised the ire of students or professors, prompting protests, the threat of at least one boycott –- and the withdrawal Saturday of former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice from the commencement ceremony at Rutgers University. She previously was scheduled to address Rutgers students and receive an honorary Doctor of Laws degree May 18. But some faculty members had protested that choice due to Rice’s role in the Iraq War'

Condi Rice is a fucking War criminal! the only place that bitch should be doing an "address" is in front of an international tribunal at the Hague.

Joe, if nothing else you are a prime example of why I detest today's liberals. You're very useful to have around, in fact I truly hope you continue to post away on the internet, especially around election time.
Just for the record, he's no liberal. He's a Regressive, an illiberal leftist authoritarian.

Two different things.

Trend or anomaly?

Just for the record, he's no liberal. He's a Regressive, an illiberal leftist authoritarian.

Two different things.

I know what you're saying. I use that term only because it's really what liberalism in the United States has evolved to.

Trend or anomaly?

Two different things.

I know what you're saying. I use that term only because it's really what liberalism in the United States has evolved to.
Yeah, and conservatism somehow evolved to white nationalism, denial of science, all out assault on intellectualism, and class warfare on the poor. What can we do to fix this?

Trend or anomaly?

Two different things.

Yeah, and conservatism somehow evolved to white nationalism, denial of science, all out assault on intellectualism, and class warfare on the poor. What can we do to fix this?

IMO there is no fix.
Well, at least no fix until the Baby Boomers are all gone.

Two different things.

IMO there is no fix.
Well, at least no fix until the Baby Boomers are all gone.
Interesting answer!

Van hits the nail on the head!

When I was a kid, we used to say, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me." [1] It seems now, as Van noted, that the axiom has changed to "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will cripple my unstable and heavily dependent sense of self-worth."

Where did that mentality come from? I don't know. Seriously, I don't. I know that Donald Trump exhibits it, more than any public figure I've seen or heard before or since his appearance on the national scene, and, truly, I don't understand why he does because he's from a generation that wasn't nearly so emotionally and ideologically tender. I'm nearly 20 years younger than he, and my generation didn't buy into it either. Van is just a few years younger than I; however the sentiments he expressed are indicative of what I've heard from every black person whom I know well enough to be aware of their sensibilities about personal fortitude. My kids and their peers though they are all 20-somethings, don't think that way, but I know their backgrounds are rarefied, so for this topic I cannot draw from their experiences.

What's striking about the "snowflake" phenomenon is that I can't put a finger on just what it's reliably correlated with, let alone what foments it. I've seen it across age groups, genders, political affiliation, educational attainment levels, race, and social positions. We see it manifested in "woe is me" rhetoric and in "screw you" rhetoric. No matter from whence and whom it comes, it's always the same root message: "so and so" did me wrong and I want "you" to make it right, or at least make me feel better.

I mean, really. When I was seven, I got into a fight with a boy name Kip, and he beat the crap out of me. (I got in some good licks, but he won the fight.) From that experience, I learned how not to start a fight. At thirteen I got into my second fight with a boy named Kirby. I won that fight, but doing so wasn't painless. And occasionally, my brother and I would get into tussles (never bloody, however) and other times we'd just let go of whatever rankled us. Those later experiences taught me how to end a fight in which I found myself and when it's not worth fighting.

The point of sharing that is to illustrate that each of us knew damn well that our fathers would have beat us again had we come running to them crying for anything other than instructions on how not to to lose the next fight. I'm sure Dad wasn't keen to see me bruised, bloody and battered, but he wasn't going to do anything about it other than bandage my wounds, set on the path to healing and learning how to come out better the next time, if there was a next time. Momma was of the same mind. Everyone must learn not only how to face a legitimate challenge head-on, but also what is a legitimate challenge that deserves to be overcome. [2]

Note:
  1. There was also a time when we, well before Rihanna, said, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains me." LOL We just had better sense than to say it in public. LOL
  2. Obviously, as an adult, one can't take to fisticuffs and physical violence. At least, short of life and limb truly being at risk, I won't; I'm not going to descend to that level and then let some creep get rich by suing me over it. Truly, I think a lot of the protest violence we see happens because those cretins don't have a damn of value -- not even their own worthless selves, which I think they know are worthless but as "cannon fodder" -- thing they are risking by behaving in such an uncivilized way.

Last edited:
And there we go: Just as I point out in Post 128, I quote a long list of liberals, and you deflect and try to make it about me.

You quote a long list of hack comedians, and a few politicians who kind of say things you agree with... but you have yet to make a convincing argument that "Campus PC" is 1) Anything new or 2) Anything all that serious.

You don't even see it. I can POINT IT OUT and you do it, right away. And you'll keep doing it, guaranteed.

Because it's hard to reason with a fanatic. Now, if you wanted to make an arugment that PC leads to some pretty silly things, um, yeah, it does. Heck, I'll admit, I find myself censoring what I say because I don't know who will be offended.

The notion that it is THIS HUGE NATIONAL CRISIS OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD THE SKY IS FALLING is where you look silly. And I'm happy to point out how silly you are.

Sorry, the world is no less safe because College kids have decided they don't want Ann Coulter and her nasty bile on their campus.

Just like they weren't any less safe in 1985, when a bunch of my fellow UIC Students decided they weren't going to let Bill Book of Phony Virtues Bennet get in a word edgewise, either.

This is nothing new, and it's not that big of a deal.

Deny and deflect and make it about me all you want, Regressives.

You've managed to find a place to the Left of THESE people. Impressive!

Yawn, guy, you can pretend that these guys support your OCD, but most of them probably never gave it another thought after making those comments. They don't post a couple threads a day on it.

Two different things.

Um, no, I'm a pragmatist. I'm not liberal or conservative. I goes with what gets the job done.

silly welping about how those kids on campus were mean to Ann Coulter, one of the nastiest voices on the public stage, isn't pragmatic. We have real problems to solve.

"they are mature enough to decide, they don't want to hear Bill Maher and his Islamophobic Bullshit on their campus. "

Then they should just not attend, or they should just hold a protest. It's not "their campus", any more than the local mall becomes "my mall" when I visit.

Okay, here's the problem with that argument. If there's some homeless guy in the mall who starts panhandling, guess what, Mall security will get rid of him when the store owners and customers complain.

Are not students and teachers on universities capable of the same consideration when Stewbum Maher comes by peddling his Islamophobic nonsense?

Yes, Maher is Islamophobic as shit.

Bill Maher’s outrageous statements about Islam and Muslims are beyond the pale

According to Maher, “Islam is the motherlode of bad ideas,” the Quran is a “hate-filled holy book” and “the Islamization of Europe” is underway.

“Their cultures are not like ours,” Maher said, justifying the exclusion of Syrian refugees from the West. “They [are] worse!” he said of Muslims, branding Islam as “the only religion that acts like the Mafia.” Maher claims Muslims “bring that desert stuff” to the West, and that “if Muslim men could get laid more, we wouldn’t have this problem.”

“Talk to women who have ever dated an Arab man,” Maher insists. “The reviews are not good.” In Maher’s mind, moderate Muslims don’t exist. As the Iraqi army fights to retake cities controlled by the Islamic State, Maher denies that Muslims are battling ISIS. “Hundreds of millions of [Muslims]” support terror, according to Maher. “Most Muslim people in the world do condone violence,” he claims.

Okay, here's the problem with that argument. If there's some homeless guy in the mall who starts panhandling, guess what, Mall security will get rid of him when the store owners and customers complain.

Are not students and teachers on universities capable of the same consideration when Stewbum Maher comes by peddling his Islamophobic nonsense?

Yes, Maher is Islamophobic as shit.

Bill Maher’s outrageous statements about Islam and Muslims are beyond the pale

According to Maher, “Islam is the motherlode of bad ideas,” the Quran is a “hate-filled holy book” and “the Islamization of Europe” is underway.

“Their cultures are not like ours,” Maher said, justifying the exclusion of Syrian refugees from the West. “They [are] worse!” he said of Muslims, branding Islam as “the only religion that acts like the Mafia.” Maher claims Muslims “bring that desert stuff” to the West, and that “if Muslim men could get laid more, we wouldn’t have this problem.”

“Talk to women who have ever dated an Arab man,” Maher insists. “The reviews are not good.” In Maher’s mind, moderate Muslims don’t exist. As the Iraqi army fights to retake cities controlled by the Islamic State, Maher denies that Muslims are battling ISIS. “Hundreds of millions of [Muslims]” support terror, according to Maher. “Most Muslim people in the world do condone violence,” he claims.
"If there's some homeless guy in the mall who starts panhandling, guess what, Mall security will get rid of him when the store owners and customers complain.

Are not students and teachers on universities capable of the same consideration when Stewbum Maher comes by peddling his Islamophobic nonsense?"

What a silly comparison. Panhandling is only legal in places delineated by law. That panhandler isn't being removed because a bunch of mall-goers held a rally to remove him. And anyway, the argument is not about whether they are 'capable", it's about whether or not they should. And they shouldn't. Somewhere along the line, these crybabies forgot what universities are for!

"In Maher’s mind, moderate Muslims don’t exist. "

Shameless lie. He has them on his show precisely because they are moderate Muslims and repeatedly says that they need to be empowered, in order to help reform Islam. You don't know what you are talking about.

What a silly comparison. Panhandling is only legal in places delineated by law. That panhandler isn't being removed because a bunch of mall-goers held a rally to remove him. And anyway, the argument is not about whether they are 'capable", it's about whether or not they should. And they shouldn't. Somewhere along the line, these crybabies forgot what universities are for!

Oh, I think that the only people who forgot what universities are for are the universities.

Probably when they decided to charge someone $65,000 for a piece of paper.

We should make a video of you of Christophobic comments you've made around here for years.

We should. But you see, as I was raised Catholic and had to be subjected to 12 years of their bullshit, I'm kind of justified.

Shameless lie. He has them on his show precisely because they are moderate Muslims and repeatedly says that they need to be empowered, in order to help reform Islam. You don't know what you are talking about.

NO, what he gets on are Self-hating Muslims like Mac's heroes who blame them for not being part of a culture they don't like.

And that's the difference. I really, truly do hate Catholicism. BUt I don't paint myself as a "moderate" Catholic who wants to "Reform" his religion. I just found it to be silly and walked away.

Our problem with Islam is not that their Magic Sky Pixie isn't any sillier than your Magic Sky Pixie. Our problem with Islam is that we keep invading their countries and wondering why they fight back.

Forum List

Back