The Psychology of Campus PC

Agreed. They're kids, and impressionable. Plus, when you have professors and illiberal leftist authoritarians doing everything they can to enable and defend you, it becomes us vs. them pretty quickly.

Again, makes me wonder if you know any real college students or if you've forgotten what it is actually like to be a college kid.

Here's the first hint. Most college students think most of the professors are full of shit.

Second- THESE ARE NOT KIDS. When you ask someone that age to go to Iraq or Afghanistan to die for Zionism and the Oil Companies.... um, er, Freedom. That was it, "Freedom", then you had better respect their opinions.

Now, if we were talking about Grammar Schools, you might have a point here. I kind of trust these kids to make adult decisions.

This is THE BEST time of their lives to be exposed to opposing views, to be challenged, to sharpen their minds and opinions. Instead they're being told to (a) shut down opposing speech, (b) shout down opposing speech, and (c) run to their safe space if all else fails.

Or they are taking a stand against things they consider evil. I'm sorry, when the people who are getting shouted down are people like Condi Rice (War Criminal), Bill Maher (Islamophobe) and Ann Coulter (Racist), they kind of deserve to be shouted down. And they would have been shouted down in the 1980's just as loudly.

which kids? 80%? 40%? 51%? or is the decision made by who is loudest? You have to define this, because I can produce examples of students that wanted these speakers to speak on these campuses.

I think even 10% saying no should be enough. Here's the thing. Bringing one of these assholes on campus costs money. Now, if I'm paying 65,000 a year for a piece of paper, I sure as hell don't want it spent to pay to secure a venue for Bill Maher to spew Islamophobic garbage.

Okay, I'll let you off the hook. I do not expect a good answer to my question, because I don't believe one exists. The correct response to these speakers would be to have a 'counter event', in which their points, lies, and fallacies are deconstructed. Or, challenge them to direct debate, and let the speakers be the snowflakes, if they chicken out. That's what intellectuals do on campuses. They don't throw little hissy fits and combat ideas with tantrums.

Again, if I'm a Muslim student paying $65,000 dollars to get a piece of paper.... I don't want that being spent to keep people from kicking in Ann Coulter's teeth.

Now back in my day, we had something called a Student Activities Funding Committee. And guess what. They avoided paying for speakers of any political stripe. Every once in a while, they'd tried to sneak one by us, but we usually caught them.
"I think even 10% saying no should be enough. "

Well, that is embarrassing and ridiculous, and I hope intellectuals push back hard against your truly idiotic idea and standard. Let's hope the flat-earthers and young-earth creationists don't get wind of your horribly stupid idea, or we'll have to cancel all the geologists and biologists scheduled to peak.

Well, that is embarrassing and ridiculous, and I hope intellectuals push back hard against your truly idiotic idea and standard. Let's hope the flat-earthers and young-earth creationists don't get wind of your horribly stupid idea, or we'll have to cancel all the geologists and biologists scheduled to peak.

Well, if we have 10% of college students who are young earth creationists, you can kind of put that one on the right wing who have replaced religion with thinking.

So I'm sorry, what intellectual advantage is there to letting Ann Coulter tell racist jokes again? How does this enrich student life?

Well, if we have 10% of college students who are young earth creationists, you can kind of put that one on the right wing who have replaced religion with thinking.

So I'm sorry, what intellectual advantage is there to letting Ann Coulter tell racist jokes again? How does this enrich student life?
Well, first of all, spare me the characterizations , as her speech would contain more than just racist jokes. And I will answer your softball question:

It would expose peole to ideas, sometimes uncomfortable ones. It will force students to articulate these ideas in their own minds and to articulate formal arguments for or against them. It will make students put these ideas in historical and current context. It will help students decide if any of these ideas are original or new, or or all just repackaged and rebranded canards. For starters.

Universities are precisely the place to be confronted with ideas that make us uncomfortable.

And we need more accurate, critical thinking among our populace. Shielding ourselves, especially at universities, from exercises ajd ideas which cultivate this articulate thought results in diminishing it overall, both in incidence and sharpness. We can see this in action every time some liberal jackass calls someone racist for pointing out the horrible islamic ideas which enjoy huge popular support across the globe, or every time some conservative jackass calls someone racist for supporting the mission of BLM or the NAACP.

Universities are precisely the place to be confronted with ideas that make us uncomfortable.

Sorry, if we are uncomfortable around a troll like Coulter, there's probaby a good reason for it. We don't need to elevate her trolling by giving her a platform.

ONce you've established "all" ideas are worthy of a platform, then no ideas are worthy of a platform.

We can see this in action every time some liberal jackass calls someone racist for pointing out the horrible islamic ideas which enjoy huge popular support across the globe,

So, um, let's look at that. The problem here is that you really think our problem with Islam is their religion,and not our policies. We aren't anywhere near having that discussion.

Islamophobia is probably the last acceptable racism. Probably why certain people can enjoy it so much, it's racism lite.

Sorry, if we are uncomfortable around a troll like Coulter, there's probaby a good reason for it. We don't need to elevate her trolling by giving her a platform.

ONce you've established "all" ideas are worthy of a platform, then no ideas are worthy of a platform.

We can see this in action every time some liberal jackass calls someone racist for pointing out the horrible islamic ideas which enjoy huge popular support across the globe,

So, um, let's look at that. The problem here is that you really think our problem with Islam is their religion,and not our policies. We aren't anywhere near having that discussion.

Islamophobia is probably the last acceptable racism. Probably why certain people can enjoy it so much, it's racism lite.
"Sorry, if we are uncomfortable around a troll like Coulter, there's probaby a good reason for it."

Oh, there is a reason, and it's a good one, but you should suck it up, ya baby. If your arguments are better than hers, then you should want the spotlight right on her. trust me, it's a better way.

"The problem here is that you really think our problem with Islam is their religion,and not our policies."

Don't put thoughts in my head or craft my identity to suit your little arguments, you cross-dressing giraffe who likes neapolitan ice cream. :D
I think both are true. But again, that's a different discussion for a different thread. See, here's a good chance for you to learn to cope with your discomfort with words and ideas... drop it for now.

But, it IS worth noting that speakers are not just dis-invited for the predicted content of their speeches, but also because they once said something entirely unrelated that triggered someone. For instance, Richard Dawkins.

Oh, there is a reason, and it's a good one, but you should suck it up, ya baby. If your arguments are better than hers, then you should want the spotlight right on her. trust me, it's a better way.

No, i think you send a much louder message by making it known she is Persona Non Grata than you do by giving her a platform.

Reasoning with someone like Coulter is like wrestling with a pig. You both get covered in shit, but the pig enjoys it.

But, it IS worth noting that speakers are not just dis-invited for the predicted content of their speeches, but also because they once said something entirely unrelated that triggered someone. For instance, Richard Dawkins.

But that's Richard Dawkins fault for delving into the nasty depths of misogyny he's been engaging in. Not of the people who don't really want to hear anything he says.

No, i think you send a much louder message by making it known she is Persona Non Grata than you do by giving her a platform.

Reasoning with someone like Coulter is like wrestling with a pig. You both get covered in shit, but the pig enjoys it.

But that's Richard Dawkins fault for delving into the nasty depths of misogyny he's been engaging in. Not of the people who don't really want to hear anything he says.
I know the message it sends, but stronger is not always better. And you certainly didn't weaken her arguments or support, and likely did the opposite. In fact, you and they come off as huge sissies who would rather throw hissies than craft superior arguments. Again, this is what universities are for. And the lack of having to do this isnreally starting to shine through in this country. The way a debate is judged is no longer by the most forceful argument, but by who shouts the loudest. "Free exchange if ideas in a democracy" at its worst.

Being disinvited is not his fault, it was the fault of the people who disinvited him. This isn't a criminal trial, it's a university where ideas and arguments are exchanged

As for your madeup nonsense about Dawkins: he was disinvited for his comments against misogyny, and other things he said about Islamism. And every liberal should be standing up for that idea. And now, that I have given you my thought on that: drop it for another thread.

Canary in a coal mine - and all but the 'deaf' can hear the 'sound of silence' over the jackhammers.

Trend or anomaly?

'It's becoming increasingly apparent that conservative speakers aren't welcome on college and university campuses.'

Well, I'm sure that institutions of learning where they teach about talking snakes will always welcome these guys

Why any real college should is a mystery.

Here's a crazy idea. Let's get rid of the concept of commencement speakers altogether. They really add nothing to the experience, which should be for the grads and their families.

nvitations extended to nine speakers this year raised the ire of students or professors, prompting protests, the threat of at least one boycott –- and the withdrawal Saturday of former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice from the commencement ceremony at Rutgers University. She previously was scheduled to address Rutgers students and receive an honorary Doctor of Laws degree May 18. But some faculty members had protested that choice due to Rice’s role in the Iraq War'

Condi Rice is a fucking War criminal! the only place that bitch should be doing an "address" is in front of an international tribunal at the Hague.

Students are the noise makers - not the decision makers.

Or they are people standing up for what they believe in.

Joe, if nothing else you are a prime example of why I detest today's liberals. You're very useful to have around, in fact I truly hope you continue to post away on the internet, especially around election time.

AGREE.

I couldn't sleep so I slogged my way through this entire wretched thread.

My only comment is that JOEB131 has made a complete ass of himself.

He has almost 90,000 posts of presumably the same stupefying horse shit, of the sort which can only proceed from a lacerated mind---maybe enough to have gotten Don Trump elected all by himself---for surely anyone can be comfortable thinking (and voting) just the opposite of this disingenuous sophist and obvious turd.

Canary in a coal mine - and all but the 'deaf' can hear the 'sound of silence' over the jackhammers.

Trend or anomaly?

'It's becoming increasingly apparent that conservative speakers aren't welcome on college and university campuses.'

Well, I'm sure that institutions of learning where they teach about talking snakes will always welcome these guys

Why any real college should is a mystery.

Here's a crazy idea. Let's get rid of the concept of commencement speakers altogether. They really add nothing to the experience, which should be for the grads and their families.

nvitations extended to nine speakers this year raised the ire of students or professors, prompting protests, the threat of at least one boycott –- and the withdrawal Saturday of former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice from the commencement ceremony at Rutgers University. She previously was scheduled to address Rutgers students and receive an honorary Doctor of Laws degree May 18. But some faculty members had protested that choice due to Rice’s role in the Iraq War'

Condi Rice is a fucking War criminal! the only place that bitch should be doing an "address" is in front of an international tribunal at the Hague.

Students are the noise makers - not the decision makers.

Or they are people standing up for what they believe in.

Joe, if nothing else you are a prime example of why I detest today's liberals. You're very useful to have around, in fact I truly hope you continue to post away on the internet, especially around election time.

AGREE.

I couldn't sleep so I slogged my way through this entire wretched thread.

My only comment is that JOEB131 has made a complete ass of himself.

He has almost 90,000 posts of presumably the same stupefying horse shit, of the sort which can only proceed from a lacerated mind---maybe enough to have gotten Don Trump elected all by himself---for surely anyone can be comfortable thinking (and voting) just the opposite of this disingenuous sophist and obvious turd.

He's just done the usual thing in this thread - he's threatened by the subject matter, so he tries to disrupt with insults, denials, deflections, etc,. etc.

I treat him like a petulant child: Let him flail away. At some point he'll get tired, declare some kind of victory (he evidently keeps some kind of scorecard in his mind) and just go away.

I've once again provided a LONG and ongoing list of liberals (from Obama to Van Jones, from Bernie to Liz) who agree with this, but it doesn't matter to ol' Joe, or his Regressive friends. That's fine, they're not the point of this thread, nor am I.

I know the message it sends, but stronger is not always better. And you certainly didn't weaken her arguments or support, and likely did the opposite. In fact, you and they come off as huge sissies who would rather throw hissies than craft superior arguments. Again, this is what universities are for. And the lack of having to do this isnreally starting to shine through in this country. The way a debate is judged is no longer by the most forceful argument, but by who shouts the loudest. "Free exchange if ideas in a democracy" at its worst.

I think in this case, stronger is a lot better. I honestly think when the system allows a Nazi who got the least amount of votes to become president because he bullied the system into accepting him, that's not the time to sit down and talk. That's the time to fight.

And, sorry, if Ann Coulter is running away because someone might smack her in her filthy mouth for the shit she says, she's the sissy. And I'm good with that.

I've once again provided a LONG and ongoing list of liberals (from Obama to Van Jones, from Bernie to Liz) who agree with this, but it doesn't matter to ol' Joe, or his Regressive friends. That's fine, they're not the point of this thread, nor am I.

Yes, I'm so not the point you spend pages whining about me...

Mac, the fact is, PC Culture exists because we are tired of putting up with bigots and their shit.

Yes, I'm so not the point you spend pages whining about me...

Mac, the fact is, PC Culture exists because we are tired of putting up with bigots and their shit.
I'm pleased that you read my post.

Here, Professor/Scientist Gad Saad, another actual liberal who has become a target of the Regressives, discusses in his characteristically calm and respectful way his view of this mess.

His specific comments begin at about 4:00.

Funny line early, although he wasn't trying to be funny: "I've had this conversation recently with college students. I explained to them that it's not to your benefit to have professors who are terrified to speak to you".

:laugh:

Funny line early, although he wasn't trying to be funny: "I've had this conversation recently with college students. I explained to them that it's not to your benefit to have professors who are terrified to speak to you".

Exactly! Students should be terrified of their professors, right.

Or maybe their professors should just do their jobs and present the material, and not inject their views into the subject matter. That's a crazy idea, though.

What a silly comparison. Panhandling is only legal in places delineated by law. That panhandler isn't being removed because a bunch of mall-goers held a rally to remove him. And anyway, the argument is not about whether they are 'capable", it's about whether or not they should. And they shouldn't. Somewhere along the line, these crybabies forgot what universities are for!

Oh, I think that the only people who forgot what universities are for are the universities.

Probably when they decided to charge someone $65,000 for a piece of paper.

We should make a video of you of Christophobic comments you've made around here for years.

We should. But you see, as I was raised Catholic and had to be subjected to 12 years of their bullshit, I'm kind of justified.

Shameless lie. He has them on his show precisely because they are moderate Muslims and repeatedly says that they need to be empowered, in order to help reform Islam. You don't know what you are talking about.

NO, what he gets on are Self-hating Muslims like Mac's heroes who blame them for not being part of a culture they don't like.

And that's the difference. I really, truly do hate Catholicism. BUt I don't paint myself as a "moderate" Catholic who wants to "Reform" his religion. I just found it to be silly and walked away.

Our problem with Islam is not that their Magic Sky Pixie isn't any sillier than your Magic Sky Pixie. Our problem with Islam is that we keep invading their countries and wondering why they fight back.

So you were a self-hating Christian then.

Notice that whenever someone points out how silly Pompous Mac is, he digs up another one of these YouTube clips with people who agree with his silly positions, even if only for one sentence?

He has a serious need for validation.

So you were a self-hating Christian then.

No, you see, here's the difference between me and the liars that Mac supports.

I don't pretend I want to reform Christianity. Unlike the lady who blames Islam for her Clitoris removal, (It's a cultural practice, not a religious one), I don't get out here and claim that my goal is to make Catholicism better or to reform it.

I don't think Jesus was God and I don't think he actually existed. Therefore the whole thing is kind of silly.

List of liberals quoted in support of this thread, so far, below.

Not "good enough" for the Regressives, of course. These liberals must be Hitler Islamophobe Nazis.

:laugh:
  1. Barack Obama
  2. Bernie Sanders
  3. Liz Warren
  4. Van Jones
  5. Sam Harris
  6. Dave Rubin
  7. Johnathan Haidt
  8. Maajid Nawaz
  9. Fareed Zakaria
  10. Bill Maher
  11. Caitlin Flanagan