The Psychology of Campus PC

People who actually love this country, those who are willing to put country over ideology, are fighting this.

Hopefully liberalism will ultimately defeat the scourge of Regressivism.

Naw, guy, I think after Trumpenfuhrer, we are probably going to swing further to the left than ever.

And I don't necessarily think that's a good thing.

But you keep mewling "the poor Nazis can't speak at my campus!"

But you keep mewling "the poor Nazis can't speak at my campus!"
JoeB & the Regressives, working hard to ignore the real liberals who are fighting them.

Hey, JoeB & the Regressives! Sounds like a BAND name!

:rock:

Josie_and_the_Pussycats.jpg

JoeB & the Regressives, working hard to ignore the real liberals who are fighting them.

sorry, guy, the reason why we have Trump is that the left didn't call the Right out for what it was - a bunch of racists and religious crazies.

That legitimized them.

When someone is out to get you, you don't try to make nice with them. This is what Obama did his whole presidency.

At about 7:45, Haidt posits the theory that this especially pernicious and virulent strain of PC is the result of children who are now of college age becoming dependent, essentially from birth, on an authority figure to whom they can run when they are challenged in any way.

Canary in a coal mine - and all but the 'deaf' can hear the 'sound of silence' over the jackhammers.

Trend or anomaly?

'It's becoming increasingly apparent that conservative speakers aren't welcome on college and university campuses.'
Commencement speakers: Conservatives need not apply

'The unwelcome wagon has grown increasingly crowded in recent years, and some free-speech experts contend those moves send an unhealthy message to an audience full of degree recipients in their caps and gowns.
Invitations extended to nine speakers this year raised the ire of students or professors, prompting protests, the threat of at least one boycott –- and the withdrawal Saturday of former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice from the commencement ceremony at Rutgers University. She previously was scheduled to address Rutgers students and receive an honorary Doctor of Laws degree May 18. But some faculty members had protested that choice due to Rice’s role in the Iraq War'

Pomp and Circumstances: Booted Speakers Raise Academic Concerns - NBC News

The University of Colorado Boulder launched a program in 2013 to bring conservative professors to its ultraliberal campus.
Liberal colleges are recruiting conservative professors to 'stir up some trouble'

Students are the noise makers - not the decision makers.

Canary in a coal mine - and all but the 'deaf' can hear the 'sound of silence' over the jackhammers.

Trend or anomaly?

'It's becoming increasingly apparent that conservative speakers aren't welcome on college and university campuses.'

Well, I'm sure that institutions of learning where they teach about talking snakes will always welcome these guys

Why any real college should is a mystery.

Here's a crazy idea. Let's get rid of the concept of commencement speakers altogether. They really add nothing to the experience, which should be for the grads and their families.

nvitations extended to nine speakers this year raised the ire of students or professors, prompting protests, the threat of at least one boycott –- and the withdrawal Saturday of former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice from the commencement ceremony at Rutgers University. She previously was scheduled to address Rutgers students and receive an honorary Doctor of Laws degree May 18. But some faculty members had protested that choice due to Rice’s role in the Iraq War'

Condi Rice is a fucking War criminal! the only place that bitch should be doing an "address" is in front of an international tribunal at the Hague.

Or they are people standing up for what they believe in.

Condi Rice is a fucking War criminal! the only place that bitch should be doing an "address" is in front of an international tribunal at the Hague.

Excellent job of making my case...

Condoleezza Rice is a gracious, accomplished, talented, highly respected educator...a lady in every sense of the word. Understandable that you would have difficulty appreciating such.

Condoleezza Rice!

Or they are people standing up for what they believe in.

Sure, even if those beliefs are as misguided as yours. Tolerance - not interfering with the rights of others to stand and be heard, or hear, is the flip side of that coin.

Excellent job of making my case...

Condoleezza Rice is a gracious, accomplished, talented, highly respected educator...a lady in every sense of the word. Understandable that you would have difficulty appreciating such.

Sorry, I have a hard time seeing past 6000 dead Americans and 600,000 dead Iraqis.... That she is polite and well groomed really doesn't get her over that.

Sure, even if those beliefs are as misguided as yours. Tolerance - not interfering with the rights of others to stand and be heard, or hear, is the flip side of that coin.

There is no "right to be heard". There's a right to speak, but there isn't a compulsion on an audience to listen. If the students on a campus decide they don't want War Criminals or Nazis or homophobes on their campus, that's their prerogative.

“The Psychology of Campus PC”

lol

There is no such thing as ‘PC,’ ‘campus’ or otherwise.

No one’s right to free speech or free expression is being ‘violated’ or ‘compromised.’

No one is being compelled to believe or behave in a particular manner or fashion.

There is no ‘chilling effect’ with regard to dissent, unpopular speech, or expressions of individual liberty.

There are no ‘hidden truths’ being suppressed by the myth of ‘political correctness.’

The myth of ‘political correctness’ is an inane contrivance of the right, a failed attempt to conceal the fact that bigots and racists find refuge among the ranks of Republicans and conservatives, and the fact that Republicans and conservatives lack the courage to denounce that bigotry and racism out of fear of political disadvantage.

“The Psychology of Campus PC”

lol

There is no such thing as ‘PC,’ ‘campus’ or otherwise.

No one’s right to free speech or free expression is being ‘violated’ or ‘compromised.’

No one is being compelled to believe or behave in a particular manner or fashion.

There is no ‘chilling effect’ with regard to dissent, unpopular speech, or expressions of individual liberty.

There are no ‘hidden truths’ being suppressed by the myth of ‘political correctness.’

The myth of ‘political correctness’ is an inane contrivance of the right, a failed attempt to conceal the fact that bigots and racists find refuge among the ranks of Republicans and conservatives, and the fact that Republicans and conservatives lack the courage to denounce that bigotry and racism out of fear of political disadvantage.
Holy crap, he tries this right after I post a bunch of honest liberals slamming PC.

That's a True Believer for ya: Absolutely blind. Absolute tunnel vision. A perfect Regressive.

Always fascinating to watch. Wow.

:laugh:

There is no "right to be heard". There's a right to speak, but there isn't a compulsion on an audience to listen. .

No, there isn't - 'stand and be heard' is a figure of speech - much like 'people (students) standing up for what they believe' - but are they?...or are they standing up for what you've taught them to believe? Exactly what are those beliefs, anyway? Shout down opposing viewpoints?
As for compulsion to listen? - no there isn't. There is however, in academic settings. a compulsion upon the audience to allow others to listen - something you've not taught them, I suppose?

If the students on a campus decide they don't want War Criminals or Nazis or homophobes on their campus, that's their prerogative.

How many students does that take? One, five, a handful, couple hundred? Majority?

Condoleezza Rice is not a war criminal, a Nazi, or a homophobe...she is an accomplished, intelligent conservative...which is precisely why she should be a welcome speaker on any campus...and precisely why she's isn't. In her case, it wasn't the students who complained, it was a few faculty members...'conservaphobes' most likely. Very, very dangerous group - growing threat to our education system...minds too narrow to contain reason. So sad.

Very, very dangerous group - growing threat to our education system...minds too narrow to contain reason. So sad.
As much as I criticize the Regressives, it's still difficult for me to come to terms with the way that people who pose as liberals can be so intolerant, so against freedom of expression.

REAL liberals DEMAND that ALL voices are heard. These are not liberals. They're afraid they'll lose the argument, and they're willing to turn our kids into authoritarian robots just like they are to avoid real debate.

This is a lousy fucking thing to do to a young mind. Disgraceful.

Wow, if you can invest 19 minutes, here's a fascinating conversation between liberals Sam Harris (one of my 3 favorite thinkers) and Johnathon Haidt on how we came to a point at which our college students must run to "safe spaces" to avoid being injured by words.

At about 7:45, Haidt posits the theory that this especially pernicious and virulent strain of PC is the result of children who are now of college age becoming dependent, essentially from birth, on an authority figure to whom they can run when they are challenged in any way.

Interesting stuff. These two liberals are fairly horrified by what they're seeing, and they're trying to find the root causes of this madness.

Informative

Yeah. When something is cultural, it's much more difficult to fix.

So this isn't going anywhere, any time soon.

His comment about the Presidents being forced to capitulate is dead on. Here in Missouri the black football players at Mizzou demanded the resignation of the president or they wouldn't play. He resigned. As a result I trashed all of my Mizzou gear and refuse to watch or attend their games.
I find it astonishing that MANY on the right brag about watching college football rather than the NFL because those kneeling on the sidelines offended them when it is our college campuses that are creating a REAL PROBLEM in America.

Hypocrisy and they don't even realize it.

Mizzou is suffering and who knows how long it will remain open. The enrollment is dangerously down and the donations have dried up. The school is so empty that they are using the dorm rooms as hotel rooms.

Outstanding.

Here, psychologist Jonathan Haidt brings out more great ideas.

"When we push against each other, we challenge each other, and we get better, we get smarter together. A University must have viewpoint diversity, and it dies if it has political orthodoxy and a monoculture."

He also discusses the theory of "institutionalized disconformation", in which people with varying backgrounds and opinions are motivated to disprove the theories of others, which allows for truth to emerge due to intellectual conflict and more comprehensive examination. He points out, sadly, that this simply doesn't happen on so many of our campuses.

Also, he brings up a study showing that the ratio of left and hard left professors to right or hard right professors was 2:1 as late as the late 1990's, and is now 17:1. "And I know the one guy", he jokes, and he says that "this has many, many profound and threatening implications for students and for faculty."

None of this is a surprise, of course, or even debatable among honest people. But it's nice to see the pushback continue.

No, there isn't - 'stand and be heard' is a figure of speech - much like 'people (students) standing up for what they believe' - but are they?...or are they standing up for what you've taught them to believe? Exactly what are those beliefs, anyway? Shout down opposing viewpoints?
As for compulsion to listen? - no there isn't. There is however, in academic settings. a compulsion upon the audience to allow others to listen - something you've not taught them, I suppose?

I think with some people, "Your Record is so Loud I can't hear a word you are saying"...

Condi Rice is one of these people. She instigated a war based on a lie and hundreds of thousands of people died as a result.

As much as I criticize the Regressives, it's still difficult for me to come to terms with the way that people who pose as liberals can be so intolerant, so against freedom of expression.

REAL liberals DEMAND that ALL voices are heard. These are not liberals. They're afraid they'll lose the argument, and they're willing to turn our kids into authoritarian robots just like they are to avoid real debate.

This is a lousy fucking thing to do to a young mind. Disgraceful.

Oh, please.

Nobody gets an advantage listening to a troll like Milo or some other racist fuck who shouldn't be allowed in polite society.

If we ask kids this young to die for their country, they are old enough to decide who they have no tolerance for.

Also, he brings up a study showing that the ratio of left and hard left professors to right or hard right professors was 2:1 as late as the late 1990's, and is now 17:1. "And I know the one guy", he jokes, and he says that "this has many, many profound and threatening implications for students and for faculty."

Has it occured to you the reason for that is that the Right stopped being an intellectual movement? You see, the right decided THESE guys were their ideal voters.

rednecks-with-guns.jpg

So why bother going to some place with some book learnin' going on.

He also discusses the theory of "institutionalized disconformation", in which people with varying backgrounds and opinions are motivated to disprove the theories of others, which allows for truth to emerge due to intellectual conflict and more comprehensive examination. He points out, sadly, that this simply doesn't happen on so many of our campuses.

Horseshit. Seriously, have you even TALKED to any recent college graduates? Have you actually visited a college campus?

I promise you, most college kids don't give a fuck about politics one way or the other. They are too invested in trying to get grades and trying to find ways to pay for this shit and if they are even going to be able to get a job when they graduate.

Wow, if you can invest 19 minutes, here's a fascinating conversation between liberals Sam Harris (one of my 3 favorite thinkers) and Johnathon Haidt on how we came to a point at which our college students must run to "safe spaces" to avoid being injured by words.

Interesting stuff. These two liberals are fairly horrified by what they're seeing, and they're trying to find the root causes of this madness.

Informative

Yeah. When something is cultural, it's much more difficult to fix.

So this isn't going anywhere, any time soon.

His comment about the Presidents being forced to capitulate is dead on. Here in Missouri the black football players at Mizzou demanded the resignation of the president or they wouldn't play. He resigned. As a result I trashed all of my Mizzou gear and refuse to watch or attend their games.
I find it astonishing that MANY on the right brag about watching college football rather than the NFL because those kneeling on the sidelines offended them when it is our college campuses that are creating a REAL PROBLEM in America.

Hypocrisy and they don't even realize it.

Mizzou is suffering and who knows how long it will remain open. The enrollment is dangerously down and the donations have dried up. The school is so empty that they are using the dorm rooms as hotel rooms.

The massive pushback of 2016 clearly wasn't enough for the Regressives. You'd think they would have learned something.

Look at them in this thread. They don't give two shits about our young people valuing freedom of expression.

At COLLEGE. The ONE place you want our kids exposed to challenging, contrary thought early on.

Incredible.

The massive pushback of 2016 clearly wasn't enough for the Regressives. You'd think they would have learned something.

Because there wasn't a massive pushback. Trump got LESS votes than Romney did.

Why don't you ever admit this?

Trump didn't "win" (not really) because people were sick of the college kids having opinions. Trump won because enough dipshits pissed away their votes on third party candidates because the Media told them Hillary was "corrupt". And frankly, because people just didn't like her on a personal level.

Look at them in this thread. They don't give two shits about our young people valuing freedom of expression.

At COLLEGE. The ONE place you want our kids exposed to challenging, contrary thought early on.

I'm kind of glad that our kids are learning racism and Nazism are bad things.

Forum List

Back