The Psychology of Campus PC

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mac1958, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,954
    It happens all the freakin' time. He's USMB's poster boy for the Regressive Left.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. JimBowie1958

JimBowie1958 Old Fogey

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,341
    I am still trying to grasp the idea that Doc took Joe Bitches side on this.

roflmao

3. EverCurious

EverCurious Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,430
    Actually it's not.

This was about kids learning to deal with taking "no" for an answer - something they /will/ have to learn to do in any job.
    It's about giving kids the where-with-all they need to learn from their mistakes - another skill they will need if they want to be successful in life and surpass a minimum wage job.
    It's about teaching them responsibility, not just for their decisions in life (ie mistakes) but also for making it right - again, another skill they need to surpass minimum wage jobs.

It's far more about getting kids ready for adulthood, where they are going to have to make intelligent and informed decisions and live with consequences of "bad" decisions, or at a minimum, be able to recover, both emotionally and financially, from setbacks, adversity, and failures. It is learning the drive to succeed, to do more than simply exist, to strive for more than simply bumping along in life. Achieved by believing in yourself and your abilities - even when you fail - "permission to fail" is not about being "right" all the time, it is about learning from those failures and doing it "better" next time around. Without learning these foundations of self reliance, confidence, and dealing with adversity, these kids basically just give up, they quit and ultimately the "failure" doesn't become a learning experience, with persistence pushing them past it, as it should.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  4. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,954
    A wonderful try, but it won't matter.

This isn't about the kids or what's best for them.

This is about the Regressives turning our kids into the same intellectual/ideological robots that they are.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,954

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  6. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,954
    Van Jones on campus "Safe Spaces":

There is a view that is ascendant that I think is a horrible view, and that is that "I need to be safe ideologically, I need to be safe emotionally. I just need to feel good all the time, and if someone says something that I don't like, that's a problem for everyone who is in the administration," and I think that is a terrible idea, for the following reasons. I don't WANT you to be "safe", ideologically. I don't WANT you to be safe, emotionally. I want you to be STRONG.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,369
    Actually talking to people and realizing they don't agree with your points would be a good start.

Again, this is where you are patronizing.

These are kids who are 18-22. We send these "kids" off to fight wars for our country. If they are old enough and mature enough to come back from some foreign land in a box with a flag over it, they are mature enough to decide, they don't want to hear Bill Maher and his Islamophobic Bullshit on their campus.

And this is your problem, you don't respect that people come by opinions honestly. They don't agree with your view that there's a PC Police? Why, the "Regressives" must be brainwashing them.

Oh, I agree that you will never know, because that would require you to understand, people have opinions they've come by honestly.

I think you honestly came by your opinion that PC was bad when someone called your ass down to HR for that joke they didn't think was funny.

And Mac goes to his happy place, where people agree with his silliness.

Of showing what a silly person he is? Um, yeah. He is a silly person

8. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,369
    You mean the guy who spanks you on a daily basis?

Yes. Yes, I am.

We got bigger problems in this country than Unfunny washed up comedians can't get gigs on college campuses.

9. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,369
    again, never talked to a kid who told me "Safe spaces" were a thing on his or her campus.

Went to UIC a couple of weeks ago to meet with a client. while I saw some things that bothered me, like big corporations had turned the Student Union into a fucking shopping mall, I didn't see a safe space anywhere.

You see, revisiting UIC 35 years after I graduated from there, what I saw was a campus that became a corporate entity. No students talking politics, very few black students (the Campus was originally built so that minority kids who couldn't go to Urbana would have a shot at a college education.)

Most of the areas that used to be used by Student clubs and fraternities were now conference rooms and stores like Dunkin Donuts and Amazon.

so I don't really worry so much that kids are being told things like "Nazis are Bad", as much as I worry they are being put into eternal debt at an early age.

Maybe if you actually visited a college campus instead of pontificating about them because Bill Maher whines his racist ass can't get a booking, you might see what the real problem is.

10. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,369
    so what you want is kids to be obedient little drones of the plutocracy like you are...

Got it.

Because, again, I haven't met the kids you and Pompous Mac are talking about. I know we hear a lot of bitching about the Millenials, but frankly, most of the ones I know, including my nieces and nephew, pretty much have their heads screwed on straight.

Let's be blunt here, it wasn't the college kid who put Trump into office, it was dumb old white people like you who are angry about everything. It seems if anyone has 'Failed" it's you.