The Psychology of Campus PC

Wow, if you can invest 19 minutes, here's a fascinating conversation between liberals Sam Harris (one of my 3 favorite thinkers) and Johnathon Haidt on how we came to a point at which our college students must run to "safe spaces" to avoid being injured by words.

At about 7:45, Haidt posits the theory that this especially pernicious and virulent strain of PC is the result of children who are now of college age becoming dependent, essentially from birth, on an authority figure to whom they can run when they are challenged in any way.

Interesting stuff. These two liberals are fairly horrified by what they're seeing, and they're trying to find the root causes of this madness.

Informative

Yeah. When something is cultural, it's much more difficult to fix.

So this isn't going anywhere, any time soon.

Wow, if you can invest 19 minutes, here's a fascinating conversation between liberals Sam Harris (one of my 3 favorite thinkers) and Johnathon Haidt on how we came to a point at which our college students must run to "safe spaces" to avoid being injured by words.

At about 7:45, Haidt posits the theory that this especially pernicious and virulent strain of PC is the result of children who are now of college age becoming dependent, essentially from birth, on an authority figure to whom they can run when they are challenged in any way.

Interesting stuff. These two liberals are fairly horrified by what they're seeing, and they're trying to find the root causes of this madness.

Informative

His comment about the Presidents being forced to capitulate is dead on. Here in Missouri the black football players at Mizzou demanded the resignation of the president or they wouldn't play. He resigned. As a result I trashed all of my Mizzou gear and refuse to watch or attend their games.
I find it astonishing that MANY on the right brag about watching college football rather than the NFL because those kneeling on the sidelines offended them when it is our college campuses that are creating a REAL PROBLEM in America.

Hypocrisy and they don't even realize it.

Informative

His comment about the Presidents being forced to capitulate is dead on. Here in Missouri the black football players at Mizzou demanded the resignation of the president or they wouldn't play. He resigned. As a result I trashed all of my Mizzou gear and refuse to watch or attend their games.
I find it astonishing that MANY on the right brag about watching college football rather than the NFL because those kneeling on the sidelines offended them when it is our college campuses that are creating a REAL PROBLEM in America.

Yeah, good point.

The campuses are breeding grounds for this stuff in a way.

I also wonder if it will stop at colleges. Over time, as the snowflakes represent a higher percentage of the workforce, will they (a) grow out of this, or (b) will we see Safe Spaces, trigger warnings and micro-aggression punishment in the workplace?

“PC” is another right-wing lie: Missouri proves reactionary forces really are waging war agai...

11-09-2015

“PC” is another right-wing lie: Missouri proves reactionary forces really are waging war against college kids

Forget “political correctness”: The truth is young people are really suffering from conservative culture wars

It's been trendy in the past few months for pundits to raise the alarm about the supposedly out-of-control culture of "political correctness" on campuses. Audiences are expected to be appalled at students asking for "trigger warnings" before viewing violent material in class or to tsk at young people for not enjoying the comedy stylings of Dennis Miller, which is surely because they are too "P.C." and not because he's not funny.

We're meant to see this as a one-sided war of overwrought lefty bullies attacking innocent victims, be it their elders or even peers who aren't "social justice warriors." No doubt there are some instances where young people, puffed up on self-righteousness and still sloppy about politics, go way too far with the P.C.-policing. But Monday's resignation of Tim Wolfe as the president of the University of Missouri system in the wake of a wave of racial ugliness on campus should be a reminder that while a few loudmouthed lefties who overplay their hands may be annoying, young people---particularly young women and people of color---are less victimizers than victimized. All this chatter about "trigger warnings" and the supposedly over-coddled young has served to cover up the real story: Young people are under assault from reactionary forces and most of their grievances are not about imagined slights, but about very serious problems they are facing, on and off campus.

10elex-protests-videoSixteenByNine1050.jpg

"And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going through"

Informative

Yeah, good point.

I also wonder if it will stop at colleges. Over time, as the snowflakes represent a higher percentage of the workforce, will they (a) grow out of this, or (b) will we see Safe Spaces, trigger warnings and micro-aggression punishment in the workplace?

I don't see a way back.

I went to college in the late 80's & early 90's. This kind of madness didn't exist an I don't remember any racial or social tensions on or off campus.

“PC” is another right-wing lie: Missouri proves reactionary forces really are waging war agai...

11-09-2015

“PC” is another right-wing lie: Missouri proves reactionary forces really are waging war against college kids

Forget “political correctness”: The truth is young people are really suffering from conservative culture wars

It's been trendy in the past few months for pundits to raise the alarm about the supposedly out-of-control culture of "political correctness" on campuses. Audiences are expected to be appalled at students asking for "trigger warnings" before viewing violent material in class or to tsk at young people for not enjoying the comedy stylings of Dennis Miller, which is surely because they are too "P.C." and not because he's not funny.

We're meant to see this as a one-sided war of overwrought lefty bullies attacking innocent victims, be it their elders or even peers who aren't "social justice warriors." No doubt there are some instances where young people, puffed up on self-righteousness and still sloppy about politics, go way too far with the P.C.-policing. But Monday's resignation of Tim Wolfe as the president of the University of Missouri system in the wake of a wave of racial ugliness on campus should be a reminder that while a few loudmouthed lefties who overplay their hands may be annoying, young people---particularly young women and people of color---are less victimizers than victimized. All this chatter about "trigger warnings" and the supposedly over-coddled young has served to cover up the real story: Young people are under assault from reactionary forces and most of their grievances are not about imagined slights, but about very serious problems they are facing, on and off campus.

10elex-protests-videoSixteenByNine1050.jpg

"And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going through"
A large portion of that "racial injustice" was FAKE. From swastikas to other racial slurs that were plastered in different places by those who claimed to be offended by them.

Enrollment had a massive decline as well as donations because of this nonsense.
Not to say instances of racism don't exist because that would just be stupid but the problem was certainly not the fault of the faculty. Half or more of the stories swirling around on social media were bogus which immediately calls into question all accusations.
This is what I ment when I've said that all your cries of racism have muddied the word to the point that real racism is often ignored

That they are developing opinions you don't like?

Here's the thing, the president of Mizzou SHOULD have resigned, because there was a series of racist incidents he did nothing about.

Not to worry, the One Percent will always be able to treat the worker bees like shit. This is still america, after all.

Informative

Yeah, good point.

I don't see a way back.

I went to college in the late 80's & early 90's. This kind of madness didn't exist an I don't remember any racial or social tensions on or off campus.

No, this is a relatively new phenomenon, and a couple of the videos I've posted go into that.

We'll see if there can be an move away from this. Our kids deserve better.

No, this is a relatively new phenomenon, and a couple of the videos I've posted go into that.

We'll see if there can be an move away from this. Our kids deserve better.

Again, with the false premises.

Everything you whine about today, I saw the same kind of shit at UIC back in the 1980's. I remember when the Students for Reagan put out a poster about the "Gay Hispanic Women for Mondale" parody, and they all threw a fucking fit.

Oh look, more honest liberals.

Gee, go figure, this thread is about their opinion, not about me.

Oh, look everyone it's the list of unfunny comedians

Oh look, another honest, actual liberal nails it:

If he really thinks that Trump won because campus kids, he's kind of a moron.

Once again, the problem wasn't Trump won any new votes.He got less votes than Romney did.

Its that too many people pissed away their votes on third party candidates because "Hillary was just as bad".

Holy crap - the brilliant Christopher Hitchens (rest in peace, Hitch, fuck, you're badly missed) predicted this madness in 1994:

"Everyone in universities seem to want to have moral authority over themselves, to have more complaints procedures, to have more therapy and more litigation. And I would say, for heaven's sake, there's more than enough of that in the wider society as it is. It's a regression to infantilism, and I think it's a real shame. It will be unstoppable, and completely negative."

"Regression", how ironic. I guess he called that, too. Go figure.

Last edited:
A strong and secure campus liberal, not afraid of opposing speech:

No one is stopping him from buying a ticket to go see Milo tell us how wonderful child molestation is.

They just don't want to see that shit on their campus.

Holy crap - the brilliant Christopher Hitchens (rest in peace, Hitch, fuck, you're badly missed) predicted this madness in 1994:

"Everyone in universities seem to want to have moral authority over themselves, to have more complaints procedures, to have more therapy and more litigation. And I would say, for heaven's sake, there's more than enough of that in the wider society as it is. It's a regression to infantilism, and I think it's a real shame. It will be unstoppable, and completely negative."

"Regression", how ironic. I guess he called that, too. Go figure.

This is the same Hitch who spent years defending Bush's War on Terror because he hates Islam so much. Even after it was clear to everyone what a fucking fiasco that was.

Black Lives Matter shuts down ACLU speaker: 'Liberalism is white supremacy!'

Read more: Blog: Black Lives Matter shuts down ACLU speaker: 'Liberalism is white supremacy!'
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

The forces of tyranny on college campuses are becoming louder and more incoherent and have now reached the point where they are attacking those in the establishment who support them.

Witness what happened at William and Mary College when a speaker from the ACLU tried to address a gathering on the subject of free speech.

Boy, was she in for a surprise.

Read more: Blog: Black Lives Matter shuts down ACLU speaker: 'Liberalism is white supremacy!'

Forum List

Back