The problem with the Colorado Decision

Radicalredneckk

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2020
The problem with the Colorado decision is they are taking him off the ballot for a reason he has not been charged with or convicted of. You have four judges from way left schools making a decision based on their personal opinion. Next think you know is we will have a college president plagiarizing her doctoral thesis..... Oh wait that did happen.

There are many problems with that decision. One that is not mentioned much is the fact that that provision in the 14th Amendment was written to restrict a specific group of people who now happen to be deceased - former Confederate officers and officials.

The problem with the Colorado decision is they are taking him off the ballot for a reason he has not been charged with or convicted of. You have four judges from way left schools making a decision based on their personal opinion. Next think you know is we will have a college president plagiarizing her doctoral thesis..... Oh wait that did happen.
he doesn't have to be prosecuted or convicted, try reading the Constitution and show us where it states he must be convicted...All you have to do is
Section 3 of the 14th Amendment, which prohibits anyone who swore an oath to support the Constitution and then “engaged in insurrection” against it from holding office.

There are many problems with that decision. One that is not mentioned much is the fact that that provision in the 14th Amendment was written to restrict a specific group of people who now happen to be deceased - former Confederate officers and officials.
Yet the Constitution doesn't mention them directly because they knew that anyone could do it.

I bet they also wear matching undies.

And:
  • Insurrection is a federal crime. Colorado has no jurisdiction and cannot convict.
  • Insurrection typically means armed rebellion to overthrow a government.
  • On January 6th, Trump was still the duly-elected president of the United States. Arguably, he can't overthrow his own administration.
  • Eligibility for presidential office is defined in the Constitution. It would be a Constitutional crisis to allow each state to make their own eligibility rules (such as age, citizenship, ineligibility due to insurrection).

And:
  • Insurrection is a federal crime. Colorado has no jurisdiction and cannot convict.
  • Insurrection typically means armed rebellion to overthrow a government.
  • On January 6th, Trump was still the duly-elected president of the United States. Arguably, he can't overthrow his own administration.
  • Eligibility for presidential office is defined in the Constitution. It would be a Constitutional crisis to allow each state to make their own eligibility rules (such as age, citizenship, ineligibility due to insurrection).
1. insurrection is a federal crime. elections are managed by the states., who seem to have "states rights," though colorado is subject to the us constitution.

2, there were plenty of arms in the capital.

3. an "auto gulpe" is common enough to have a name. el supremos of latino countries do this all the time.

the constitution does define all qualifications, including the 14th amendment restrixtions.

i say, let him run. the 14th amendment is not a punishment, merely a recognition that failure to be guided by the oath of office is disqualifying.

1. insurrection is a federal crime. elections are managed by the states., who seem to have "states rights," though colorado is subject to the us constitution.

Your point was not responsive. Trump has not been convicted. The Colorado Supreme Court simply declared Trump guilty of insurrection without due process.

2, there were plenty of arms in the capital.
I knew someone would say that, but the only one who fired a shot was a Capitol Police when they killed an unarmed woman.

I guess you could argue that flag poles and metal barricades were were used as arms, but I don't think it met the standard of an armed rebellion.

3. an "auto gulpe" is common enough to have a name. el supremos of latino countries do this all the time.
I don't follow.
the constitution does define all qualifications, including the 14th amendment restrixtions.
Right, that's another reason why the federal courts have jurisdiction. The 14th also requires due process. Can't claim the 14th disqualifies Trump and then deny him due process. Completely illegal what the Kanagroo Court did.

i say, let him run. the 14th amendment is not a punishment, merely a recognition that failure to be guided by the oath of office is disqualifying.
Regards,
Jim

Your point was not responsive. Trump has not been convicted. The Colorado Supreme Court simply declared Trump guilty of insurrection without due process.

I knew someone would say that, but the only one who fired a shot was a Capitol Police when they killed an unarmed woman.

I guess you could argue that flag poles and metal barricades were were used as arms, but I don't think it met the standard of an armed rebellion.

I don't follow.

Right, that's another reason why the federal courts have jurisdiction. The 14th also requires due process. Can't claim the 14th disqualifies Trump and then deny him due process. Completely illegal what the Kanagroo Court did.

Regards,
Jim
The dissent goes into the denial of due process in detail. The entire trial was unfair.
The Supreme Court cannot let this stand. It would mean the end of elections. Will they strike out the provision entirely or just send the issue back for a fair trial.

That's kind of the job you Bingo. They aren't called "judges" for nothing.

Forum List

Back