The poor get $8.21 in government spending for each dollar of federal, state and local

Discussion in 'Economy' started by red states rule, Mar 26, 2007.

1. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    Who Pays America's Tax Burden, and Who Gets the Most Government Spending?

by Andrew Chamberlain, Gerald Prante and Scott A. Hodge

Special Report No. 151

Executive Summary
    While many studies answer the ques*tion of who pays taxes in America, the question of who gets the most government spending is often overlooked. Just as some Americans bear a larger portion of the nation's tax burden than others, some Americans also receive a larger share of the nation's government spending.

This report summarizes the key findings of a comprehensive 2007 Tax Foundation study of federal, state and local taxes and government spending. The results show that when we consider the distribution of government spending as well as taxes, it provides a dramatically altered view of how U.S. fiscal policy affects Americans at different income levels than is apparent from the distribution of tax burdens alone.

Overall, we find that America's lowest-earning one-fifth of households received roughly $8.21 in government spending for each dollar of taxes paid in 2004. Households with middle-incomes received $1.30 per tax dollar, and America's highest-earning households received $0.41. Government spending targeted at the lowest-earning 60 percent of U.S. households is larger than what they paid in federal, state and local taxes. In 2004, between $1.03 trillion and $1.53 trillion was redistributed downward from the two highest income quintiles to the three lowest income quintiles through government taxes and spending policy.

These findings suggest tax distributions alone do not tell Americans how much the nation's fiscal system is helping or hurting low-income households. To answer that, we must look beyond tax burdens to government spending as well. Lawmakers who ignore the distribution of govern*ment spending risk making policy judgments based on an incorrect set of facts about the United States fiscal system.
    http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/2282.html

The current tax system is nothing more then the redistribution of wealth

2. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    Saw this reported on Fox News today. I suppose right now I'm considered poor as I will be getting both a Fed and State refund. Never here about the tax break for the poorest 5% do we.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. djones

djones Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As housing prospects are uncertain, the Fed sees the drag in the sector remaining. Though the US economy will grow - grow at a 'moderate' pace, Bernanke warned of risks staying. Meanwhile, the Fed Chairman's statements pushed the US stocks lower, adding to traders' worries about tensions between Iran and the West.

4. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    How does getting a tax refund mean you're considered poor?

The bottom 5% doesn't pay taxes because there's a self-support reserve. They do have to feed themselves. I wouldn't consider that a "tax break".... just appropriate.

5. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Great news!

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    What is?

7. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    That our Christian nation is tending to the poor as Christ commands.

"I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me." Matthew 25:40

"For the judgment is merciless to one who has not shown mercy; mercy triumphs over judgment. What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well," but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it? So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead." James 2:13-17

8. T-Bor

T-Bor Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Oh god..another religious wackoo.. I cant stand people who think everything in the bible actually happened. Religion is the root of all evil and more people have been killed in the name of god than for any other reason.

9. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    For once we agree. Islam is a dynamite Religion and will blow you away

10. red states rule

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572

Meanwhile the top 50% of taxpayers pay for all their social services in the form of wealth transfers

It is disgusting those who use government sevices the least pay the most in taxes, while those who use government services the most pay the least in taxes