The Paranormal, the Supernatural, and the Extraterrestrial

Please check all that apply to you:

• I believe in ghosts and/or angels or other paranormal beings.

Votes: 30 46.9%
  • I believe in extra terrestrial beings

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • I have encountered one or more such beings.

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • I have seen a UFO.

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • I have been on board an alien spacecraft.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I don’t know but keep an open mind that such things exist.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I don’t know but doubt such things exist.

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • I reject any notions of the paranormal.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • I reject any notions of extraterrestrial activity.

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • I support government research into extraterrestrial activity.

Votes: 18 28.1%

• Total voters
This could be a great thread! Anyone listen to George Noory's Coast to Coast late night on the radio?

Home - Coast to Coast AM

Yes, when we were operating our business, I would be out and about keeping on site appointments during the day and then would do paper work or other activities into the wee hours of the morning many nights. Beginning at 11 p.m. mountain time, to keep me company (and awake), we used to get Art Bell that was a fascinating mix of the odd, strange, unexplained. And when Art handed the keys to Coast to Coast to George Noury and the weekend hosts, they brought a much different dimension but often just as interesting.

It is one of those programs you have to take with a huge grain of salt and healthy skepticism--I'm sure the hosts do too--but some of the things they report are fascinating. And unexplainable.

I listened to Art Bell for years. I came to find his credibility stank. He was fun to listen to but I never found a thing he said about the paranormal to have any objective truth.

For about twenty years I tried very hard to believe is space visitors. I read everything I could find. This was before the internet and it was a lot tougher getting information. I spent hours in the library and of course read all the popular books such as "Chariots of the Gods"

Ufos? There are lots of strange things, most explainable, some not but always the underlying problem that there seems to be no reason for these actions. Any UFO sighting I have ever heard of is a rather small craft. Their actions, for the most part, lack any kind of plan or reason. Where is the mother ship? Perhaps cloaked like the Klingon vessels in "Startreck"?

Bottom line? It just isn't there. Not that there are not some unexplainable things. Personally I found the drawings is 'south america that can only be seen from great height, to be inexplicable. It is also inexplicable why an alien would make such things. They are primitive. Like a cave drawing.

I am left with the conclusion that if something really is out there it surely does not think like we do and if they got here they have power sources we just dream about.

I don't think they are out there and I am glad. There is no evidence to suppose that they would be kind or beneficial. The opposite would more likely be true.

ahhh...man. I hate to disagree with you...but we are still pretty barbaric. We just have ways of killing from a distance where it doesn't horrify the folks at home. But believe me, the people on the receiving end? They live it.

I think we've come a long way...but we still have a much longer way to go.

Yes we have defense capabilities against human enemies. But look at the USA, Canada, the countries of Europe, Australia, Japan, etc. All highly technically advanced and successful and not one plotting to harm another people in any way. And all living relatively peacefully within respective rule of law.

We can clearly see that techological advancement and prosperity does not make a people more hostile to other people. We can only hope that this is a universal truth if we are having extra terrestrial visitors.

And there is your key. Sure, advancement has ensured a more peaceful approach to our own kind because if it did not we would never have advanced. It has also seen the complete subjugation of all other life on this planet. We keep pets in cages and subject animals to some pretty horrific treatment in the food industry in order to feed the world. Essentially, ‘lesser’ life forms would not agree with your conclusion that we are far more peaceful. That is exactly what we would be to an alien civilization that is capable of getting here – ‘lesser.’ I don’t think that aliens would travel all this way for nothing be it resources, space for colonization, research or simple exploration. Only the latter example might work out for us.

All in all, while I do not believe in the supernatural I do believe there is life out there other than us. What I cannot agree with is the idea that it has visited us before or is currently visiting us now. If they were here and wanted to remain unseen there is essentially no way that we would have seen them. The technological gap would be breathtaking as they not only would need to break the speed of light, they would need to solve a thousand other needs for real space travel. If they did not care about being seen, there would not be any question to their existence. It would be obvious.

The accounts of abduction are even more off the charts. Most of them involve a secrete message to save the world that somehow missed anyone of importance and ended up with the guy in the trailer park or they involve some sexual tryst with an alien/hybrid. Really? That makes ZERO sense. Crop circles? Sure, there are a ton of reasons that an alien would want to bend wheat….

Maybe cow mutilations because what the aliens really want is beef.

No, they are not here as far as I can tell. My mother is a HUGE believer in aliens and I was subjected to all the conspiracy theories and alien ‘UFOologists’ that you can find. At the time, I believed in it all (young impressionable mind and all that). When I was 10 I read a good book on the subject by Carl Sagan: A Demon Haunted World that really opened my eyes and got my critical thinking skills started. He asked the one question that was avoided by everyone else: WHY? If you can give me a good motivation for visitation and the occurrences that are attributed to them, perhaps I can start to agree again but the truth is, there are no fathomable reasons for ET to fly hundreds of light years to bend some wheat, cut up a cow and tell Johnny that we need to start recycling more.

If we do ever encounter a benevolent species I would imagine it would happen more like Contact or The Day The Earth Stood Still.

I agree. I said about the same thing. You said it first......and better.

This could be a great thread! Anyone listen to George Noory's Coast to Coast late night on the radio?

Home - Coast to Coast AM

Yes, when we were operating our business, I would be out and about keeping on site appointments during the day and then would do paper work or other activities into the wee hours of the morning many nights. Beginning at 11 p.m. mountain time, to keep me company (and awake), we used to get Art Bell that was a fascinating mix of the odd, strange, unexplained. And when Art handed the keys to Coast to Coast to George Noury and the weekend hosts, they brought a much different dimension but often just as interesting.

It is one of those programs you have to take with a huge grain of salt and healthy skepticism--I'm sure the hosts do too--but some of the things they report are fascinating. And unexplainable.

I listened to Art Bell for years. I came to find his credibility stank. He was fun to listen to but I never found a thing he said about the paranormal to have any objective truth.

For about twenty years I tried very hard to believe is space visitors. I read everything I could find. This was before the internet and it was a lot tougher getting information. I spent hours in the library and of course read all the popular books such as "Chariots of the Gods"

Ufos? There are lots of strange things, most explainable, some not but always the underlying problem that there seems to be no reason for these actions. Any UFO sighting I have ever heard of is a rather small craft. Their actions, for the most part, lack any kind of plan or reason. Where is the mother ship? Perhaps cloaked like the Klingon vessels in "Startreck"?

Bottom line? It just isn't there. Not that there are not some unexplainable things. Personally I found the drawings is 'south america that can only be seen from great height, to be inexplicable. It is also inexplicable why an alien would make such things. They are primitive. Like a cave drawing.

I am left with the conclusion that if something really is out there it surely does not think like we do and if they got here they have power sources we just dream about.

I don't think they are out there and I am glad. There is no evidence to suppose that they would be kind or beneficial. The opposite would more likely be true.

Erich Von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods is a terrific read and made believers out of a lot of people. That is until Clifford Wilson's Crash Go the Chariots systematically took Von Daniken's theories apart one by one.

What those of us who read both books were left with was the sense that there were some truths or at least unexplained components in both, both authors stretched quite a bit to reach various conclusions, and neither were conclusive one way or the other. But both make you think.

But that brings us to the 'why'. When we cannot fathom scientific technology that would allow the 'how' of them getting here in the first place, I can accept that we might not yet be evolved enough to grasp the 'why' either. So that is a question of course I have, but not one that particularly bothers me. As for 'being seen' or 'not being seen', I could believe that they would at times choose to be seen, maybe to test how we would react to them? I don't know. But it is all fascinating to me.
That is possible but I cant buy this with the ‘evedence’ that is out there. Motivations can be mysterious but the world (and this case universe) tends to operate on the same basic principals. There is more out there we don’t know than we do though so… anything is possible.

Or we still have the conspiracy theories as you mention, not the least of which are some kind of bizarre government experiments at Area 51.
I don’t buy into much of the government as the answer either. Sure, a lot of the sights in the sky near Edwards are experimental aircraft but the government is surprisingly bad at keeping a secret. Of course, light itself can be pretty misleading. We can see stars that are behind the sun, light can be bent and points of light can do all sorts of crazy things when subjected to a moving atmosphere of varying gasses.

There are things we can’t explain. Rather than trying to explain them with fantastical things like aliens I prefer simply to say… they are unexplained. Many of these things will never be explained. It is fun to think of what they might be but, in the end, we just don’t know ;)

It is a mathematical impossibility for extraterrestrials not to exist.

Impossibility? I don’t think so. But improbability with a ratio so big none of us could even imagine it, yeah I think so.

Further if we are experiencing visitations from extra terrestrials, these would have to be beings so unimaginably technically advanced to our own civilization that they could probably do anything to us they wanted to do. And the fact that they haven’t suggests to me that if they exist, they intend us no harm.

Well, I never said that they've necessarily visited us, just that they're out there somewhere and they don't have to be smarter than us. It could be a planet of life no more intelligent than a cow.

Impossibility? I don’t think so. But improbability with a ratio so big none of us could even imagine it, yeah I think so.

Further if we are experiencing visitations from extra terrestrials, these would have to be beings so unimaginably technically advanced to our own civilization that they could probably do anything to us they wanted to do. And the fact that they haven’t suggests to me that if they exist, they intend us no harm.

Well, I never said that they've necessarily visited us, just that they're out there somewhere and they don't have to be smarter than us. It could be a planet of life no more intelligent than a cow.

ET beef: it’s what’s for dinner ;)

I don't think there's any doubt there is extraterrestrial life out there at all. Most of it may well not be intelligent, and even less capable of interstellar travel. Not impossible though.

The interesting question might be that if there is an intelligent ET out there that CAN travel through space, would they also be advanced enough not be to warlike conquerors. Just because we are like that doesn't mean a far more advanced civilization would be. Myself, I prefer to think that one day the human species will eventually find more productive and rewarding uses of it's time than violence, greed, and conquests. I see no reason not to acknowledge the possibility that a more advanced species may have already done so.

interesting thought on ET life in regards to faith. If there is ET life out there...which I think we all tend to think there is. If that life is more intelligent than us, that either means God didn't create us first, or he did a better job with later creations. If they are less intelligent than us, then it means that God didn't stop with us.

very black and white, right?

Here's another thought...God designed a self replicating system in which life can flourish or not all on it's own...or even some combination of self replication/direct creation.

But then again...maybe I'm just exhausted and my brain has diarreah. Went to see Jackson Browne last night and didn'get home till after midnight and fell asleep after 1AM....gonna be a long day at work...sigh....

I don't believe in angels, like the kind that appear to religious folk, but I do believe that sometimes, when people die, they have unfinished business on this earth, and stay until it is completed. I also believe that some people are unable to 'cross over' and need a helping hand.

I believe in other life forms, because IMO it is silly to think that with all the planets out there, ours is the only one occupied by life.

I don't believe in angels, like the kind that appear to religious folk, but I do believe that sometimes, when people die, they have unfinished business on this earth, and stay until it is completed. I also believe that some people are unable to 'cross over' and need a helping hand.

I believe in other life forms, because IMO it is silly to think that with all the planets out there, ours is the only one occupied by life.

So we finally agree on something. However spiritualists teach that there are angels, and they are a separate species to us, that never incarnate. Instead they work behind the scenes guiding human evolution. There are angels of karma who guide us into suitable reincarnations for the experience we need, and they are indifferent to whether they send us into a suffering life or not, as they know it is for the good of our souls.
But angels do not have wings and they travel instantly by willing it.

Here is the bit we agree on. People who die with unfinished buisness do hang around the earth, and they sometimes cannot cross over into the higher realms.

As for other lifeforms, they are us. We ourselves reincarnate on different planets in the universe, on worlds that are at a level of development that suits the needs of our soul.
So we are already out there on other planets , and we are all probably aliens.
Because at the present day there is great progress being made, and souls will flock to get the chance to incarnate here. There is probably a long queue of souls waiting to get the chance to incarnate on this planet at this time, and there has been since the begining of the 19th century. The world wars were a great chance for many people to settle karmic debts.

I know. Just commenting on the mathematical aspect coupled of your post with my added thoughts of any E.T.s who have visited us if they have. And there are a lot of perfectly normal, well adjusted, reasonably well educated, and mentally competent people who are convinced they have.

Maybe we're living in a incomprehensibly complex computer simulation. In that situation "God" would be the programmer, no?

It is concepts like that, such as we find in the movie "The Matrix" that are fascinating to me. Endless possibilities. :)

Reminds me of my son proposing a thought that what if every particle we know beginning with atoms are actually their own universe populated with beings that are living inside ever larger universes populated with beings, and our own solar system is nothing more than an atom existing within a much larger one on a scale so large we can't even imagine?

Well of course we were just having fun with the concept, but I'll have to admit I have never thrown something into a sizzling hot skillet or tossed a log on the fire after that without that crossing my mind. What if I just incinerated a billion universes? :)

Seriously though, I am impressed with some of you who are already thiinking outside the box here with concepts, thoughts, maybes, what ifs etc. Mostly it is just fun thinking about concepts, but greater truths have come from less. Do the extra terrestrials have the ability of telepathy? And are they gradually infusing our thought processes with larger concepts that we will recognize as truth once it hits us?

For the religious, many of us believe God/Holy Spirit operates in just that way. And Jesus taught that what he did, greater things would we who believe do. Maybe he had something much larger in mind that what we could understand at the time? At any rate, the concept of angels and ghosts and signs and wonders have been around for a very very long time, long before Jesus, and I can't believe such concepts all came entirely out of a vacuum.

Years ago, when we were stationed in Nebraska, you could see for miles. We saw a light flying, it went up, across, down, across, up, across, down, across. Next day it was in the newspaper that it was a weather balloon. My father was in the Air Force and he said he didn't know of any weather balloons that could fly like that. Hence, it is an unidentified aircraft. Perhaps it was a military experiment, but wouldn't my father, an officer at the local airbase know about it?

Years ago, when we were stationed in Nebraska, you could see for miles. We saw a light flying, it went up, across, down, across, up, across, down, across. Next day it was in the newspaper that it was a weather balloon. My father was in the Air Force and he said he didn't know of any weather balloons that could fly like that. Hence, it is an unidentified aircraft. Perhaps it was a military experiment, but wouldn't my father, an officer at the local airbase know about it?

Weather balloons seem to get a lot of credit for a lot of unexplained phenomenon. :)

Steve Schiff (RIP) was the NM District #1 Congressional representative in the 1990's and was absolutely the more intelligent, most honest, most dedicated public servant of ANYBODY I have ever had the privilege to consider a national leader. And I experienced real grief when cancer finally took him.

But when he was still well, at our request, he agreed to see what he could find out about the Roswell incident. When he reported back to us, he said available records were very sketchy but all the considerable government investigation into the event was still sealed or had been destroyed. The official government position is what crashed out there was a weather balloon. Even a U.S. Congressman could not find out what really happened.

And those of us in New Mexico who have had occasion to meet or who know people who lived there at the time, we all know it was no weather balloon. What it actually was? Never admitted if it in fact was determined.

So we finally agree on something. However spiritualists teach that there are angels, and they are a separate species to us, that never incarnate. Instead they work behind the scenes guiding human evolution. There are angels of karma who guide us into suitable reincarnations for the experience we need, and they are indifferent to whether they send us into a suffering life or not, as they know it is for the good of our souls.
But angels do not have wings and they travel instantly by willing it.

Here is the bit we agree on. People who die with unfinished buisness do hang around the earth, and they sometimes cannot cross over into the higher realms.

As for other lifeforms, they are us. We ourselves reincarnate on different planets in the universe, on worlds that are at a level of development that suits the needs of our soul.
So we are already out there on other planets , and we are all probably aliens.
Because at the present day there is great progress being made, and souls will flock to get the chance to incarnate here. There is probably a long queue of souls waiting to get the chance to incarnate on this planet at this time, and there has been since the begining of the 19th century. The world wars were a great chance for many people to settle karmic debts.

I had to pos rep you for that post. I like it when someone agrees with me. :)

I was driving home from work one afternoon in heavy traffic. For reasons unimportant to the story I had had very little sleep the night before and I was very tired and fighting the urge to sleep. The stop and go traffic was not helping. At one point--I still remember the location--I felt like something was shaking me and I snapped awake just in in time to brake and avoid hitting the stopped car ahead of me. I still had the strong impression of a warm hand print on my shoulder. There was nobody in the car with me.

The only explanation for that is a guardian angel?

Amused at the ad at the top of the page when I came into this thread this morning: "Live Psychic Readings 3 free minutes" :)

.Hamlet:
And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

About twenty five years ago someone undid the brakes on my motorcycle, while it was parked in a sidestreet. I came back to my bike and tried to pull in the clutch, but the cable was sticky.

Then it came into my mind, like an idea from nowhere, that I should check all the brakes.
That idea probably saved me from either death or serious injury, because someone had ondone my back brake rod. I had an aggressive riding style, and normally I would have driven to the end of the road at a lick, and pulled up sharply at the cross roads. But with no back brake I would probably have gone straight out into the crossroads, and been hit broadside on by oncoming traffic.

To this day I do not know what warned me to check my brakes, but I tend to think it was a telepathic message from the spirit world. And it probably saved me from death or serious injury.

Forum List

Back