The Paranormal, the Supernatural, and the Extraterrestrial

Please check all that apply to you:

• I believe in ghosts and/or angels or other paranormal beings.

Votes: 30 46.9%
  • I believe in extra terrestrial beings

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • I have encountered one or more such beings.

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • I have seen a UFO.

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • I have been on board an alien spacecraft.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I don’t know but keep an open mind that such things exist.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I don’t know but doubt such things exist.

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • I reject any notions of the paranormal.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • I reject any notions of extraterrestrial activity.

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • I support government research into extraterrestrial activity.

Votes: 18 28.1%

• Total voters
About twenty five years ago someone undid the brakes on my motorcycle, while it was parked in a sidestreet. I came back to my bike and tried to pull in the clutch, but the cable was sticky.

Then it came into my mind, like an idea from nowhere, that I should check all the brakes.
That idea probably saved me from either death or serious injury, because someone had ondone my back brake rod. I had an aggressive riding style, and normally I would have driven to the end of the road at a lick, and pulled up sharply at the cross roads. But with no back brake I would probably have gone straight out into the crossroads, and been hit broadside on by oncoming traffic.

To this day I do not know what warned me to check my brakes, but I tend to think it was a telepathic message from the spirit world. And it probably saved me from death or serious injury.

Thanks for sharing this. I have no explanation for why we don't always receive such messages from the 'other world', why they are inconsistent, why everybody doesn't get them, but I have experienced them myself or have heard so many stories like yours, that I simply cannot just shrug them off or dismiss them as irrelevent. I have to believe there is something there.

One place of interest in this category is the old historic, St. James Hotel in the Village of Cimarron in Northern New Mexico. It boasts a long history and current hauntings by various spirits who still call the hotel home. It has been researched by many paranormal experts, including the popular Ghost Hunters, and all have declared the activity to be detectable.

I have been there numerous times, and have never witnessed anything out of the ordinary. But I've never booked a room and spent the night either. :)

Spent a night there, and the only thing that I noticed was how uncomfortable the couch was because my 12 year old daughter listened to all the ghost stories, and insisted on sleeping with her mom, didn't care where I slept.

One place of interest in this category is the old historic, St. James Hotel in the Village of Cimarron in Northern New Mexico. It boasts a long history and current hauntings by various spirits who still call the hotel home. It has been researched by many paranormal experts, including the popular Ghost Hunters, and all have declared the activity to be detectable.

I have been there numerous times, and have never witnessed anything out of the ordinary. But I've never booked a room and spent the night either. :)

Spent a night there, and the only thing that I noticed was how uncomfortable the couch was because my 12 year old daughter listened to all the ghost stories, and insisted on sleeping with her mom, didn't care where I slept.

So nothing out of the ordinary? Nothing that went bump in the night? Did any of those related 'ghost stories' at least give you pause for thought?

I was driving home from work one afternoon in heavy traffic. For reasons unimportant to the story I had had very little sleep the night before and I was very tired and fighting the urge to sleep. The stop and go traffic was not helping. At one point--I still remember the location--I felt like something was shaking me and I snapped awake just in in time to brake and avoid hitting the stopped car ahead of me. I still had the strong impression of a warm hand print on my shoulder. There was nobody in the car with me.

The only explanation for that is a guardian angel?

I'll go with that. Ever since my little brother passed, whenever I go visit my big brother, I feel my little brother with me, telling me to go his way, it's faster.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

William Shakespeare, "Hamlet", Act 1 scene 5

Personally, I do not casually accept or dismiss that which I do not understand or experience.

Personally, I do not casually accept or dismiss that which I do not understand or experience.

And with that I bet you have a whole lot more fun than those who dismiss anything that is paranormal, spiritual, etc. I certainly don't buy all the stuff I read about or is told to me or see on TV. But for me, an open mind on all things makes life much more interesting and ripe with possibilities.

For instance two friends of mine, about my age, a few years ago took charge of an old, historic house overlooking a great ocean view. He is a retired PhD physicist; she a retired PhD Professor of European History. Both pretty agnostic. Neither given to making up stories or notions of fantasy of any kind. After a couple of weeks of living there, she finally admitted to him that she had several times seen a rather transparant apparition that she described as a man in gardener's clothing. The only explanation she had for it was a 'ghost'. He then admitted to her that he had twice encountered the same being in the hallways of the house. It made no sound, it only appeared for a short time each time, but it was obviously aware of them because he had raised his hand to acknowledge our friend when they met in the hall. It was so real that Andy stepped aside to allow it to pass. They did not feel any fear from this experience and had no sense that the 'ghost' intended them any harm.

I believe they saw what they report.

And with that I bet you have a whole lot more fun than those who dismiss anything that is paranormal, spiritual, etc. I certainly don't buy all the stuff I read about or is told to me or see on TV. But for me, an open mind on all things makes life much more interesting and ripe with possibilities.

For instance two friends of mine, about my age, a few years ago took charge of an old, historic house overlooking a great ocean view. He is a retired PhD physicist; she a retired PhD Professor of European History. Both pretty agnostic. Neither given to making up stories or notions of fantasy of any kind. After a couple of weeks of living there, she finally admitted to him that she had several times seen a rather transparant apparition that she described as a man in gardener's clothing. The only explanation she had for it was a 'ghost'. He then admitted to her that he had twice encountered the same being in the hallways of the house. It made no sound, it only appeared for a short time each time, but it was obviously aware of them because he had raised his hand to acknowledge our friend when they met in the hall. It was so real that Andy stepped aside to allow it to pass. They did not feel any fear from this experience and had no sense that the 'ghost' intended them any harm.

I believe they saw what they report.

My sister had a maid that worked in some old homes in Tacoma. In one of them, there was always a chair facing toward the window. She'd turn it to face the room and before she was finished cleaning in the room, the chair was turned back toward the window. One day the maid got an idea, when she entered the room, she said aloud "I have to clean in her now, I'd appreciated it if you'd leave until I finish." She says she felt something go past her. She cleaned the room without incident, then said aloud "Okay, I'm done" and she felt it go past her again, and the chair moved while she was watching it, to face the window again. At least, that's her story.

I had a girlfriend that was about 30 years older than me. Her name was Ester.
We had met when I joined the VFW and became very good friends almost immediately.
She was quite a character and everyone at the VFW loved her. She was always making us smile.
She died about 10 years ago.

At the VFW, we have the Ladies Auxiliary meeting once every month. Ester would always sit in the same spot every single month. It was her spot.
Right after she died, we had our Aux. meeting ,(it was about 1 week later) and the light that was above where she always sat, would start to blink on and off. We told the men about it and they told us that they had just changed that light. They moved the bulb to another one to test it out, it worked just fine. They moved it back,it worked just fine.
We started our meeting and the light started blinking on and off again and did this throughout the whole meeting. We all joked about it and said it had to be Ester.This happened for months at each meeting. After the meeting was over it stopped blinking.
It never blinked when we had any other events in the back hall.
We have Bingo back there twice a week on Tue. and Sun.,the light was just fine. It only blinked like that at our Aux. meeting.

Wait - it gets even more weird.

Ester smoked a certain brand of cigarettes and the whole thing was white. She also wore a certain brand of lipstick, so the butt of her cigarette was red from that lipstick when she put her cigarette out.
We have a room that is always locked up, because it has all of the bingo supplies in there.
My husband was the Bingo manager and he smokes. So after each Bingo game was over he would clean the ash tray and set it back in the bingo supply room and lock it up. He was the only one who had the key to that room.
At the next Bingo game, he opened the room up and saw several white cigarette butts in his ashtray, with Ester's red lipstick on the butts. He knew darn good and well that he had cleaned that ashtray before he locked that room up. What was really strange was there was no ash, just red lipstick butts.
This also went on for several moths and he would show it to us. Again we all joked and said it was Ester.

I had my own experience with her.
She use to love picking up a strand of my hair in the back of my head and feel it.
She said it reminded her of her daughter's hair when she was a baby. Her daughter lived back east, so every time I would go into the VFW, she would get up from where she was sitting, take a strand of my hair and feel it ,then she would go back and sit down.
I didn't like it very much, but it gave her great joy and comfort so I let her do it.
About two weeks after she died, I was sitting at the Bar in the VFW and I felt a piece of my hair being lifted up and then set back down. I felt electricity go through that strand of hair. It was really such a strange feeling. The guy that was sitting next to me saw it being lifted up and his eyes got really big. I said "What was that"? He said "I don't know".
I then said, I knew, it had to be Ester.
Ester haunted our VFW for about a year and then nothing from her, she had moved on.

If you think of earth as a kind of 'capsule' spinning through space, then I have to say, yeah, I sometimes feel I'm on an alien 'vessel'.

Ghosthunters has become one of the most popular cable television shows and I have watched from time to time. It does raise questions why the 'ghost hunting' has to be done in the dark? Why do they have to spend a night? Why wouldn't ghosts be active in the daytime?

I confess that I have often thought the stuff on that show to be really contrived. But some thngs, if they are the real deal, are amazing. Like the ghosts who turn on a flash light on cue. But why must that be in a darkened room?

And then I real that 'real' ghost hunters despise the show?

I honestly don't know what to think. I confess some skepticism. At the same time, I keep an open mind about 'ghosts'.

Ghosthunters has become one of the most popular cable television shows and I have watched from time to time. It does raise questions why the 'ghost hunting' has to be done in the dark? Why do they have to spend a night? Why wouldn't ghosts be active in the daytime?

I confess that I have often thought the stuff on that show to be really contrived. But some thngs, if they are the real deal, are amazing. Like the ghosts who turn on a flash light on cue. But why must that be in a darkened room?

And then I real that 'real' ghost hunters despise the show?

I honestly don't know what to think. I confess some skepticism. At the same time, I keep an open mind about 'ghosts'.

Everything on that show is faked.

This makes me think of that one saying, sorry but I can't remember who said it or really how it went.

But it was something like "If we're the only ones in the universe then space is a lot of wasted space" or something somewhat like that. Idk
I've always thought if space is infinite then there should also be an infinite possibility that other forms of life exist.

That saying is from the movie "Contact"...and I so agree with Jodi Foster! It's an awful waste of space if there aren't any aliens.

I don't necessarily believe in ghosts. I am a skeptic...but I am very much fascinated by the subject and would love to go on an investigation with a team. On the other hand, I don't dismiss the existence of them either...in fact, I'd love to have an experience that would erase all doubt as to the question of life after death. Don't get me wrong....I am a Christian, but since you have to die before you find out for sure...my faith doesn't exactly satisfy my curiosity or quite frankly, my fear.

As far as UFO's and/or extraterrestrial life? Sure, I believe that there is other life out there...perhaps even highly intelligent life. No where in the Bible does it say that God created us and only us, or even that we were his first creation.

Whether they have visited Earth? I don't know...I've never seen anything.

Just a note on my faith... I believe in God...maybe not the same way that Fundamentalists do though. I believe that the concept of God is so beyond our intellectual and emotional grasp that even ideas like string theory and quantum science is only scratching the surface of the Creator's intellect. The more complex we find the Universe to be, the more convinced I am that there is indeed a God.

I couldn't agree more!

Doesn't string theory suggest that there are 11 dimensions rather than only the three we're aware of? I wonder if perhaps these dimensions can cross over on given occassions? I don't know...just food for thought.

I love what you said about confirmation, leaning on faith and the fear of death. Makes sense.

I don't really fear death...I fear the pain I may have to go through leading up to death. Shoot...give me the pain drugs!!!!! :D

Thanks to Meister for moving this thread into the new Paranormal forum. It was started in the CDZ and there may be intermittant mentions of that here and there in the thread, but it is better off here.

So QW is certain everthing on Ghosthunters is faked. I'll have to admit some of it really does seem to be contrived or at least amplified into something more than is actually there, but I have read up on accounts reported by those who have actually been there and I have to believe that some phenomenon is occurring that is real. I can't believe that everybody with famous places goes along with a deliberate hoax.

I still wonder though why ghost investigations can only be done at night in the dark.

Steelplate and I seem to share the same religion in that we do not confine God to anybody's prescribed theories of theology and understand that God is greater than any of us have intellect or words to understand or define. And even when you combine all the intellect, education, and knowledge that has ever existed on Earth, we know only a teensy fraction of all that there is to know. That is why I hope we are being visited by extraterrestrials because if they are here, they obviously intend us no harm and they would have to be so much more advanced than we are, they would have so much to teach us when we are ready. (I'm assuming that since they are still keeping their distance that they know we aren't yet ready.)

And I think fear of death is a defense mechanism programmed into the human animal. There is obviously some purpose to our living our lives, and if we had no fear of ending them, we would have much less incentive and determination in getting ourselves through the sometimes awful things we experience.

Thanks to Meister for moving this thread into the new Paranormal forum. It was started in the CDZ and there may be intermittant mentions of that here and there in the thread, but it is better off here.

So QW is certain everthing on Ghosthunters is faked. I'll have to admit some of it really does seem to be contrived or at least amplified into something more than is actually there, but I have read up on accounts reported by those who have actually been there and I have to believe that some phenomenon is occurring that is real. I can't believe that everybody with famous places goes along with a deliberate hoax.

I still wonder though why ghost investigations can only be done at night in the dark.

Steelplate and I seem to share the same religion in that we do not confine God to anybody's prescribed theories of theology and understand that God is greater than any of us have intellect or words to understand or define. And even when you combine all the intellect, education, and knowledge that has ever existed on Earth, we know only a teensy fraction of all that there is to know. That is why I hope we are being visited by extraterrestrials because if they are here, they obviously intend us no harm and they would have to be so much more advanced than we are, they would have so much to teach us when we are ready. (I'm assuming that since they are still keeping their distance that they know we aren't yet ready.)

And I think fear of death is a defense mechanism programmed into the human animal. There is obviously some purpose to our living our lives, and if we had no fear of ending them, we would have much less incentive and determination in getting ourselves through the sometimes awful things we experience.

Simple enough, pick any single thing from Ghost Hunters, post a video, and I will tell you how they did it.

Simple enough, pick any single thing from Ghost Hunters, post a video, and I will tell you how they did it.

Naw, if it is improtant to you, you can do that. While I do not fault you for your skepticism or disbelief, and acknowledge that you indeed could be right, I simply don't care enough to bother worrying about what is real and what isn't. I just apply logic that if it was all fake, the program would not have been as successful or long lived as it has been and there would be a lot ore people exposing the hoax. And I also go with what I believe to be reliable and honest accounts of what appears to be paranormal activity related by others in different contexts and just include it all in a growing store of reported experience and knowledge.

Naw, if it is improtant to you, you can do that. While I do not fault you for your skepticism or disbelief, and acknowledge that you indeed could be right, I simply don't care enough to bother worrying about what is real and what isn't. I just apply logic that if it was all fake, the program would not have been as successful or long lived as it has been and there would be a lot ore people exposing the hoax. And I also go with what I believe to be reliable and honest accounts of what appears to be paranormal activity related by others in different contexts and just include it all in a growing store of reported experience and knowledge.

My problem with shows like that is the way they shine laser pointers around and then act like they are seeing ghosts. I remember one clip from an early ghost hunting documentary where they hung up a mirrored ball and filmed the reflected light on the walls claiming it proved that ghosts are real. Ghost hunters carries on in the same tradition.

Yes...that can happen. However, seeing their grandmother didn't scare them...but the bang on her bedroom door could have been something else.

Forum List

Back