The Paranormal, the Supernatural, and the Extraterrestrial

Please check all that apply to you:

• I believe in ghosts and/or angels or other paranormal beings.

Votes: 30 46.9%
  • I believe in extra terrestrial beings

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • I have encountered one or more such beings.

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • I have seen a UFO.

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • I have been on board an alien spacecraft.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • I don’t know but keep an open mind that such things exist.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I don’t know but doubt such things exist.

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • I reject any notions of the paranormal.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • I reject any notions of extraterrestrial activity.

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • I support government research into extraterrestrial activity.

Votes: 18 28.1%

• Total voters
Someone's been living in New Mexico too long...

And it ain't me...

Aw come on, get into the spirit of it HJ. But yeah, I've lived a lot of years in New Mexico and, because of having a fairly unique occupation as occupations go, I have had opportunity to go lots of out of the way places in New Mexico and have talked to lots of folks who tell me they have seen some amazing things.

You simply can't have any interest in the unexplained at all and not have your interest peaked by some of that stuff.

I don't go in for the paranormal, but I think it rather arrogant for us to believe we are the only intelligent (and that is debateable...) beings in the universe.

True story. It was fifteen or so years ago that State Farm Insurance contracted with us to do safety and condition inspections on ALL their farm and ranch properties in New Mexico. That involved hundreds of farms and ranches and, over a period of many weeks, took us to every nook and cranny in the state.

So that's how I found myself way out in the middle of nowhere on narrow dirt roads, dodging rabbits and antelope herds, about 50 miles northwest of Roswell NM. And that included the very property where that alien spacecraft was reported to have crashed in July, 1947.

No evidence anywhere of the crash now, but I talked with two old gentlemen who said they were there. Saw the debris scattered over a fairly large area. And there was no way that it was the weather balloon that is the official position of the government. When government officials arrived that day, they ordered all the locals to leave the area immediately and they were not allowed to return for several days.

So what happened out there? Nobody knows. It is still classified.

I've never seen anything "abnormal". But 2 of my kids have, in a house we used to live in. They are not the kind to exaggerate or make things like that up. Of course i didn't know because i'd never seen anything. But one evening my daughter was in her room upstairs, we were watching tv downstairs and all of a sudden there a was big "bang" from upstairs...like something was thrown really hard and hit the wall or something. Actually, when we went upstairs my daughter said that it was something hitting her door....but there was nothing around to explain it! Her and my one son both saw my mother after she died. I just don't know....i do have an open mind, and i am also a Christian. I know we're not to be involved in demonic things....but i don't know what to think about my kids seeing my mom. I believe them...but how???

If you are Christian, then it is demons that would be impersonating your mother and making the noises. Otherwise, would Jesus have not forwarned of other phenomena?

I've never seen anything "abnormal". But 2 of my kids have, in a house we used to live in. They are not the kind to exaggerate or make things like that up. Of course i didn't know because i'd never seen anything. But one evening my daughter was in her room upstairs, we were watching tv downstairs and all of a sudden there a was big "bang" from upstairs...like something was thrown really hard and hit the wall or something. Actually, when we went upstairs my daughter said that it was something hitting her door....but there was nothing around to explain it! Her and my one son both saw my mother after she died. I just don't know....i do have an open mind, and i am also a Christian. I know we're not to be involved in demonic things....but i don't know what to think about my kids seeing my mom. I believe them...but how???

I am also a Christian and I don't think curiosity about the paranormal to be at all unChrsitianlike. We are commanded not to play around with or court demons, but I don't think there is any admonition not to know what they are or are not. :)

As for what your children saw, my instinct is to believe them. I have spoken with far too many people who have had visitations from the dearly departed. Maybe a dream. Maybe real. Who knows, but all found the experience to be not at all unpleasant and for many oddly comforting.

If you are "commanded not to play around with or court demons," what the hell are you doing at USMB?

LOL. Well when horns pop up or I spot somebody with a tail, I'll know to worry about it. :)

If you are Christian, then it is demons that would be impersonating your mother and making the noises. Otherwise, would Jesus have not forwarned of other phenomena?

Respectfully requesting that we not get into specific theological discussions on this thread except as pertinent to extra normal phenomenon. Let's keep this interesting, light, and fun, okay?

Aw come on, get into the spirit of it HJ. But yeah, I've lived a lot of years in New Mexico and, because of having a fairly unique occupation as occupations go, I have had opportunity to go lots of out of the way places in New Mexico and have talked to lots of folks who tell me they have seen some amazing things.

You simply can't have any interest in the unexplained at all and not have your interest peaked by some of that stuff.

I don't go in for the paranormal, but I think it rather arrogant for us to believe we are the only intelligent (and that is debateable...) beings in the universe.

True story. It was fifteen or so years ago that State Farm Insurance contracted with us to do safety and condition inspections on ALL their farm and ranch properties in New Mexico. That involved hundreds of farms and ranches and, over a period of many weeks, took us to every nook and cranny in the state.

So that's how I found myself way out in the middle of nowhere on narrow dirt roads, dodging rabbits and antelope herds, about 50 miles northwest of Roswell NM. And that included the very property where that alien spacecraft was reported to have crashed in July, 1947.

No evidence anywhere of the crash now, but I talked with two old gentlemen who said they were there. Saw the debris scattered over a fairly large area. And there was no way that it was the weather balloon that is the official position of the government. When government officials arrived that day, they ordered all the locals to leave the area immediately and they were not allowed to return for several days.

So what happened out there? Nobody knows. It is still classified.

Do you think that that simple word fuels the majority of speculation when attached to events like Roswell above anything else? I do.

Here's another unexplained incident of equal controversy to slake your interest. It's always fascinated/perplexed me. Dyatlov Pass incident

Here's alittle snippet to wet your appetite:

The lack of eyewitnesses has inspired much speculation. Soviet investigators determined only that "a compelling unknown force" had caused the deaths. Access to the area was barred for skiers and other adventurers for three years after the incident.

Was playing with my little sister one day when I was about 10, she was 8. It was windy and we noticed out her bedroom window that the wind was kicking up these awesome little dirt tornadoes in the newly tilled field across the road. So we're in her window watching these things in the middle of the day when we notice what looks like a star way out in the distance, except it's slowly moving to the left. After a few seconds or so it reverses trajectory and is now slowly moving to the right, then it stopped again and began to slowly grow as if it were moving toward us. This thing grew from little more than a pin prick of light to where a dime held at arms length might JUST cover it. Then it stopped again. My little sister was getting scared and just as she said she wanted to go get mom this thing appears to zing away from us and shoot up and to the left. It went from dime sized back to a pin prick of light and shot up into oblivion in less than a second.

No idea what it was but we both saw it and neither of us will ever forget it.

Respectfully requesting that we not get into specific theological discussions on this thread except as pertinent to extra normal phenomenon. Let's keep this interesting, light, and fun, okay?

Absolutely. I am not saying it is true, I was just going on what she was saying as a Christian, and that supposedly the bible then gives little other choices for such phenomena.

But I understand what you are saying.

I believe that there are other beings out there. Just haven't visited us..

As for the paranormal - no way, no how....

Telepathy could be considered "paranormal", and yes, it does exist.

You can prove this to yourself quite easily by the way, just go to some place where there are people with their backs to you and stare at the back of their head. Within 30 seconds, they will feel you staring at them and turn around and look at you.

Also explains why you can feel people staring at you when you're walking down the street, even though you're not looking at them.

Even if that was true, which it isn't, it is not telepathy.

This makes me think of that one saying, sorry but I can't remember who said it or really how it went.

But it was something like "If we're the only ones in the universe then space is a lot of wasted space" or something somewhat like that. Idk

I've always thought if space is infinite then there should also be an infinite possibility that other forms of life exist.

I don't necessarily believe in ghosts. I am a skeptic...but I am very much fascinated by the subject and would love to go on an investigation with a team. On the other hand, I don't dismiss the existence of them either...in fact, I'd love to have an experience that would erase all doubt as to the question of life after death. Don't get me wrong....I am a Christian, but since you have to die before you find out for sure...my faith doesn't exactly satisfy my curiosity or quite frankly, my fear.

As far as UFO's and/or extraterrestrial life? Sure, I believe that there is other life out there...perhaps even highly intelligent life. No where in the Bible does it say that God created us and only us, or even that we were his first creation.

Whether they have visited Earth? I don't know...I've never seen anything.

Just a note on my faith... I believe in God...maybe not the same way that Fundamentalists do though. I believe that the concept of God is so beyond our intellectual and emotional grasp that even ideas like string theory and quantum science is only scratching the surface of the Creator's intellect. The more complex we find the Universe to be, the more convinced I am that there is indeed a God.

wow...guess I blew that with my post....sorry. But it's hard not to interject faith in a discussion on the paranormal. I happen to think that there is not necessarily a conflict...but opinions vary.

It is a mathematical impossibility for extraterrestrials not to exist.

Impossibility? I don’t think so. But improbability with a ratio so big none of us could even imagine it, yeah I think so.

Further if we are experiencing visitations from extra terrestrials, these would have to be beings so unimaginably technically advanced to our own civilization that they could probably do anything to us they wanted to do. And the fact that they haven’t suggests to me that if they exist, they intend us no harm.

wow...guess I blew that with my post....sorry. But it's hard not to interject faith in a discussion on the paranormal. I happen to think that there is not necessarily a conflict...but opinions vary.

No, I don't think you blew it at all. I just didn't want us to stray into a food fight over religious beliefs and opinions of those holding those beliefs, but for those of us for which our faith explains extra normal phenomenon or that causes us to reject paranormal phenomenon, you are right that you cannot separate that from our reality.

And I concur that we all would like confirmation of our faith so we wouldn't have to lean so hard on it. But I think God makes us naturally fearful of death so that our instinct is to avoid it as long as possible. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

But like when I have visited the St. James Hotel, I so very much want to see one of the phenomons that so many have reported there. And sometimes when I am out away from the city looking into a cloudless sky filled with bright stars, I sometimes really really wish I would witness an honest to goodness spaceship descending from the heavens.

I think for many of the more curious among us, it is just human nature.

Faith and religion have nothing to do with the question of the existence of things like paranormal, supernatural, or extraterrestial. They may exist or they may not, but the truth is the truth either way.

Impossibility? I don’t think so. But improbability with a ratio so big none of us could even imagine it, yeah I think so.

Further if we are experiencing visitations from extra terrestrials, these would have to be beings so unimaginably technically advanced to our own civilization that they could probably do anything to us they wanted to do. And the fact that they haven’t suggests to me that if they exist, they intend us no harm.

I think it was Steven Hawking who pointed out that the most successful and advanced of earths inhabitants are those who kill others, implying that highly advanced extraterrestrial visitors, should they ever visit us, may likely NOT come in peace.

I think it was Steven Hawking who pointed out that the most successful and advanced of earths inhabitants are those who kill others, implying that highly advanced extraterrestrial visitors, should they ever visit us, may likely NOT come in peace.

If Steven Hawkings did say that, all we have to do is look around us to see that his theory cannot be supported. It is the most successful and technically advanced of Earth's inhabitants who are also the most peaceful and who have learned to live in harmony with each other more consistently than have most of the less successful and less technically advanced countries.

But his only basis of his observation is life on Earth....at our current level of understanding and abilities. I mean, I don't pretend to know one way or another.

Forum List

Back