The other Mormon Presidential candidate

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
No, I'm not talking about Jon Huntsman. Or even for Presidenet of the United States.

Meridian Magazine - Yet Another Latter-day Saint Runs for President - Meridian Magazine - LDS, Mormon and Latter-day Saint News and Views

Yeah Semake is the only Mormon in Malia and running for President (assuming the elections take place due to military issues).

Not only does he have an amazing back story, but I wish we could see some of his policies implimented here:

When the president of Mali came to Ouelessebougou to dedicate the solar panel field, Yeah was also to give a talk. The president’s office said he must forward a copy of his talk to them before the event. Yeah complied, but the day of the event, he read the usual greetings from his prepared talk and then threw the rest aside and began to speak from his heart to the people.

He spoke passionately about government decentralization and said “Decentralization equals development. In the president’s hands lies the responsibility to provide sound leadership to train and empower local people so that Mali isn’t in the position of asking for aid.

“You should have seen the eyes of the president,” he said. “I thought, oh mayor, you are in trouble.”

Far from being in trouble, Yeah had impressed and inspired the people. One of the men in the entourage, who led an organization who had gotten the president elected, came up and told Yeah that if he would consider running for president, his organization would back him.

From that day, Yeah decided to run for president of Mali, and he has formed his own political party based on his vision called the Party for Civil and Patriotic Action.

“Mali has the possibility of becoming a model democracy in Africa. Mali is not poor. Mali is poor in leadership. If I am elected, Mali will become one of the most relevant countries in all of Africa, not dependent on foreign aid. It will be dependent on the power within, the greatness of the people. They have to have leader to bring the power to them.”

This thread isn't about religion it about the bogeyman of the right. I think sometimes, actually all the time, conservatives (I wish there were a better word) forget what it takes to have a stable and relatively just society in their narrow minded focus on the bogeyman. "Poor countries are poor not because they lack resources, but because they lack effective political institutions." Francis Fukuyama - and he is considered a conservative.

"The unity of Government, which constitutes you one people, is also now dear to you. It is justly so; for it is a main pillar in the edifice of your real independence, the support of your tranquillity at home, your peace abroad; of your safety; of your prosperity; of that very Liberty, which you so highly prize. But as it is easy to foresee, that, from different causes and from different quarters, much pains will be taken, many artifices employed, to weaken in your minds the conviction of this truth; as this is the point in your political fortress against which the batteries of internal and external enemies will be most constantly and actively (though often covertly and insidiously) directed, it is of infinite moment, that you should properly estimate the immense value of your national Union to your collective and individual happiness; that you should cherish a cordial, habitual, and immovable attachment to it; accustoming yourselves to think and speak of it as of the Palladium of your political safety and prosperity; watching for its preservation with jealous anxiety; discountenancing whatever may suggest even a suspicion, that it can in any event be abandoned; and indignantly frowning upon the first dawning of every attempt to alienate any portion of our country from the rest, or to enfeeble the sacred ties which now link together the various parts." Quote DB :: Speeches :: George Washington :: George Washington's Farewell Address Speech

Let us not forget that the leader of the US Senate, Harry Reid, is a Mormon. He is more Powerful than POTUS. He can block any Legislative requests from POTUS or the Republican controlled House of Representatives.

Forum List

Back