The obligations of non-Jews, per Judaism

Why would I have any questions? I can read English. I mean it's all there in black and white isn't it ?

Maybe you won't have questions; maybe you will. I didn't have questions the first time I read through the Bible. I just wanted to know what it said. Also, I didn't let anyone else know I was reading it because I didn't want to be influenced by anyone's religious point of view.

Enjoy

Maybe you won't have questions; maybe you will. I didn't have questions the first time I read through the Bible. I just wanted to know what it said. Also, I didn't let anyone else know I was reading it because I didn't want to be influenced by anyone's religious point of view.

Enjoy

Why did you ask someone else questions the second time you read it? Wouldn't that influence your point of view ?

Why did you ask someone else questions the second time you read it? Wouldn't that influence your point of view ?

I must have retained a lot the first time I read it - I was in my late 20's & I could do that better then than I do now. Since I'm not Jewish, after I read the Bible, I went looking for a church. I had just finished reading the Bible & had it fresh in my mind when I first heard this one pastor speak & I was thinking, "the Bible doesn't say that, does it?" Then I went home & confirmed that I was correct. So, very early after I read the Bible the first time through, for some reason, I started listening to people, often taking notes, and then checking it out for myself. And back in those days, I was reading a Christian Bible. It wasn't until much later that I realized there were other, better translations.

Most people don't read the Bible at all, some read the whole thing, and fewer still study it. It's amazing to me how people get so wrapped up in religious controversies when they know so little. I don't converse about Physics, for instance, because I know so little about that topic.

I don't think I really answered you very well, did I?

The more knowledge I have, the less I am worried about the influence of others. But just like in accounting, there will always be people who understand more about the Bible than I do & those who understand less. And the Bible, in depth study of it, has more intracacies (spelling?) than accounting does.

Don't worry about it, though. It's irrelevant for you right now.

O.k. so you're saying that you are an atheist? Well, then all this Bible quoting is absolute nonsense. If you really are an atheist, why are you participating in this conversation at all? Isn't all this just a moot point to atheists?

And based on what you chose to quote and not to quote, you don't know the text of the Bible very well, either. Any I wouldn't expect you to. Many years ago, I considered myself an atheist; at that time, the Bible was a moot point to me. I wouldn't have wasted my time talking Bible with anyone.

I can't speak for Shogun but I can tell you that just because a person is an atheist doesn't mean they might not be intrigued by the work of fiction that has remained in print longer than any other.

Last edited:
I can't speak for Shogun but I can tell you that just because a person is an atheist doesn't mean they might not be intrigued by the work of fiction that has remained in print longer than any other.

You make a good point. Regardless of what else it is, the Bible is an amazing piece of literature.

Im' not asking about the meanings of the passages---I mean the words themselves. That would allow me to read the actual words and see what they are. Hebrew isn't some dead language. As a gentile (Noahide) it might be interesting to see what the God of the Jews has to say about my obligations.
Maybe you should take it up with God as he seems to think that not only is he the God of the Jews but he's also the God of the Gentiles. And, now that you've been given a link the the translation, please read it and report back to us. See you in a few years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you should take it up with God as he seems to think that not only is he the God of the Jews but he's also the God of the Gentiles.

If one talks to a Christian gentile regarding the nature of God, you would hear an entirely different description of God. His relationship with Jesus for example. Whatever God is or thinks he is isn't the issue. It is how different religions perceive him.

The not so subtle claim here is that Jews know the nature God better than anyone because they were put in charge of the Old Testament, read Hebrew, and have studied it for 3,000 years. Practicing Noahides are non-jews who buy into that theory.

You can call yourself an atheist or a member of any other religion but to the Jews you are a Noahide and have a defined duty to God.

You can call yourself an atheist or a member of any other religion but to the Jews you are a Noahide and have a defined duty to God.
Wrong. I think we pretty much debunked this in the other thread. You have a defined duty to God if you want to be treated by God as the Jews are treated by God. In other words, you don't have to be a Jew in order to get the bennies. Other major religions don't give you this option. You are either one of them or an infidel and subject to be put to death.

And EVERY religion claims they know the nature of God better than anyone else. Why does it disturb you so much when it is the Jews making the claim and not the other religions?

If one talks to a Christian gentile regarding the nature of God, you would hear an entirely different description of God. His relationship with Jesus for example. Whatever God is or thinks he is isn't the issue. It is how different religions perceive him.

The not so subtle claim here is that Jews know the nature God better than anyone because they were put in charge of the Old Testament, read Hebrew, and have studied it for 3,000 years. Practicing Noahides are non-jews who buy into that theory.

Don't most religions presume that their god is the supreme ruler of the earth, with power over believers and non believers alike?

I don't get this whole Naugahyde issue though I do agree that real leather is more comfortable.

O.k. so you're saying that you are an atheist? Well, then all this Bible quoting is absolute nonsense. If you really are an atheist, why are you participating in this conversation at all? Isn't all this just a moot point to atheists?

And based on what you chose to quote and not to quote, you don't know the text of the Bible very well, either. Any I wouldn't expect you to. Many years ago, I considered myself an atheist; at that time, the Bible was a moot point to me. I wouldn't have wasted my time talking Bible with anyone.

Should an atheist not be able to comprehend the subject like, apparently, a dirtyfucking goyim cannot read hebrew or something?

wow. shit talking in lieu of proving me wrong. SHOCKER. I care about your personal history. really. I do. for real. It's no lie. It's probably broadly applicable.

I quoted what was necessary in order to remind you that it doesn't take a hebrew filter to read the bible or comprehend it. Nor does some OT scripture make the new covenant any less directed at gentiles than you've suggested. If you want to step up to the plate then try not to cry when a scriptural fast ball goes flying past your strike zone.

Should an atheist not be able to comprehend the subject like, apparently, a dirtyfucking goyim cannot read hebrew or something?

wow. shit talking in lieu of proving me wrong. SHOCKER. I care about your personal history. really. I do. for real. It's no lie. It's probably broadly applicable.

I quoted what was necessary in order to remind you that it doesn't take a hebrew filter to read the bible or comprehend it. Nor does some OT scripture make the new covenant any less directed at gentiles than you've suggested. If you want to step up to the plate then try not to cry when a scriptural fast ball goes flying past your strike zone.

You really aren't doing us any good talking to people like this.

Wrong. I think we pretty much debunked this in the other thread. You have a defined duty to God if you want to be treated by God as the Jews are treated by God. In other words, you don't have to be a Jew in order to get the bennies. Other major religions don't give you this option. You are either one of them or an infidel and subject to be put to death.

And EVERY religion claims they know the nature of God better than anyone else. Why does it disturb you so much when it is the Jews making the claim and not the other religions?

You didn't debunk shit. The Jews BELIEVE that anyone who is not a Jew is a noahide and has rules they must obey to get the bennies. ( I'm not even sure what bennies you are speaking of). It doesn't disturb me one damn bit what a religion wants to claim but are you understanding that this is a non-jew telling everyone who is not a jew what God expects from them ?

You didn't debunk shit. The Jews BELIEVE that anyone who is not a Jew is a noahide and has rules they must obey to get the bennies. ( I'm not even sure what bennies you are speaking of). It doesn't disturb me one damn bit what a religion wants to claim but are you understanding that this is a non-jew telling everyone who is not a jew what God expects from them ?
What their version of God expects from them if they want to be treated by their God like Jews are treated by their God. I really am not seeing your objection to that. At least their version of God doesn't smite down people that aren't "true believers."

No. They don't... and you don't know what you're talking about because you use this as a negative, and yet another jew-bashing thing...

what a hateful crud...

Forum List

Back