The obligations of non-Jews, per Judaism

What do you find "nutty" about my post? I'm not taking offense at all, just curious.

Not necessarily your posts but the whole idea that people put such restrictions on their lives in the name of love for a god. Life is tough enough as it is without rules like eating only kosher or halal food, wearing burkas and wigs and hats and over dressing in warm weather. Refusing to turn on lights on Sabbath days and fasting and forgoing water for an entire month from sun up to sundown even in the hottest months of the year. Denying your sexuality and refusing to make use of modern forms of birth control. Having an aversion to buttons and zippers.

What does self-denial, in some cases to the point of endangerment of health prove? That you ( not you, Kim, particularly) love a god? What superior being capable of creating the universe, as so many religious people claim one did, would want the creatures it created to behave in such an unproductive manner? It seems perverse to me to me.

Last edited:
Is eel kosher?

By Baruch S. Davidson

Question:

Is fresh-water eel kosher? I know that the eel is really a fish, with very small scales and elongated fins, so shouldn't this popular sushi fish be kosher?

Answer:

Eel are not kosher, though they seemingly have both signs that demarcate kosher fish: fins and scales.

This is because the definition of fins and scales – as they regard to kosher – are clearly designated by Jewish law. Not every "scale" meets this limited definition. According to Torah law, in order to be considered a "kosher sign," a scale must be easily removable without tearing the fish's skin.

Eel's scales are part of their skin and cannot be removed without tearing the skin.

Best wishes,

Rabbi Baruch S. Davidson
Is eel kosher? - Kosher Q&A

TO ANSWER your question: Because I believe in God and the Bible, part of my reaction to "I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you" (God says to Israel / Jews), I do what I can to be supportive of Jewish people. Among other things, this means I encourage them to be observant (Orthodox Judaism).

Financially, I do different things to help. For example, I have given donations to the Simon Wiesenthal Center. Also, even though I am NOT Jewish, I buy kosher products vs. non-kosher when I can (see the labels) in grocery stores - products are discontinued if not enough people purchase them.

Does this answer your question, or is there something else?

Many thanks Kim, for your thoughtful and intelligent response. It seemed a little guarded, and almost defensive in nature, but its meaning is understood.

Not necessarily your posts but the whole idea that people put such restrictions on their lives in the name of love for a god. Life is tough enough as it is without rules like eating only kosher or halal food, wearing burkas and wigs and hats and over dressing in warm weather. Refusing to turn on lights on Sabbath days and fasting and forgoing water for an entire month from sun up to sundown even in the hottest months of the year. Denying your sexuality and refusing to make use of modern forms of birth control. Having an aversion to buttons and zippers.

What does self-denial, in some cases to the point of endangerment of health prove? That you ( not you, Kim, particularly) love a god? What superior being capable of creating the universe, as so many religious people claim one did, would want the creatures it created to behave in such an unproductive manner? It seems perverse to me to me.

I dunno... the whole thing about kashrit (observation of the rules of being kosher) is "cleanliness"... cleanliness of the animals (hence no bottom feeders when eating seafood) ritual in the means of slaughter; rabbinical supervision... but mostly, it's a link to others of one's faith, in much te same way singing a hymn in church together bonds people who observe christianity. There's also a peacefulness which comes out of the ritual and belonging to a community where everyone else is doing what you're doing. And, frankly, if everyone around you is doing the same thing, it's really not a burden.

And it's seriously easy with places like this around now (it's just absurdly expensive):

Pomegranate biggest Kosher supermarket ever! opens this week | Jewkey News, classifieds and more for the frum community

(BTW, I'm not kosher now, but I grew up in a kosher home... wasn't any big deal... )

Forum List

Back