The Need For More US Troops is a Taboo Topic

wade said:
As I said, I think it is inevitable, no matter which side wins.

I don't. After the President wins re-election in November there will be a few large operations, and then after the elections in Iraq our forces will start to come home, regardless. I'm not saying this is wise, who knows what the situation in Iraq will be come February, I'm just saying it will in all probability happen that way.

The only possible alternative would be some innovative option such as the one suggested by Zhukov

Well, I'm not entirely sure how innovative it is. I know people who are not citizens can already join our armed forces, and will at some point receive citizenship, but I don't know how extensive the program is. I would have to find out more about what our military's current policy is regarding foreigners before I wrote up a proposal for the 'changes' I proposed like you suggested.

Zhukov said:
I don't. After the President wins re-election in November there will be a few large operations, and then after the elections in Iraq our forces will start to come home, regardless. I'm not saying this is wise, who knows what the situation in Iraq will be come February, I'm just saying it will in all probability happen that way.

Have you seen the reports on the level of readiness of the Iraqi forces? In reality, something around 5000-10000 troops are ready (and these are poorly trained), and at best this might double by the end of the year. Beyond that we are looking at next summer for anything more. Bush's 75,000 figure is a pure fantasy. I saw this discussed on FOX News in detail just the other night, by republicans no less.

Zhukov said:
Well, I'm not entirely sure how innovative it is. I know people who are not citizens can already join our armed forces, and will at some point receive citizenship, but I don't know how extensive the program is. I would have to find out more about what our military's current policy is regarding foreigners before I wrote up a proposal for the 'changes' I proposed like you suggested.

Yes foreigners can join, and the anticipated reward is citizenship, but there is no program in place to encourage this. And there certainly is no program setup to allow immigrants (especially from Mexico or S. America) to apply for such an opportunity.

I think it is a good idea. If your not interested in pursuing it, let me know and maybe I will.

Wade.

Forum List

Back