The most realistic GOP Presidential nominee is...

TheOldSchool

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
last stop for sanity before reaching the south
... who? It looks like we're going to have Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Rand Paul, Scott Walker, Rafael Eduardo Cruz, Ben Carson, Mike Huckabee, Rick Perry, Rick "Urban Dictionary" Santorum, Bobby Jindal, Marco Rubio, and John Kasich.

If we eliminate the ones too crazy to have a chance in the general election we're left with:
Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Scott Walker, Bobby Jindal, and Marco Rubio.

Bush - I don't think America has the stomach for another Bush disaster so he would be an unsuccessful nominee.

Christie - The right has completely turned on him because of hurricane Sandy. I don't think he'll make it out of the primaries.

Bobby Jindal - Doesn't really have the star power. He's faded away the last few years.

Marco Rubio - the butt of everyone's jokes a couple years ago... can he make a comeback? I don't think so.

Which brings us to...

Scott Walker - I think this will be the GOP nominee. He appeals to the base and the mainstream, and he hasn't said or done anything overly terrible. Of course we'll see if that continues once the mic is in his hands all the time. He does come with the negatives that he dropped out of college to become a career politician, and has not held a job outside of political office since age 23. But he has done an overall good job managing his state. This is a guy who may be able to win over independents.

If we look at the polls Walker and Bush are neck and neck. I think walker will pull ahead.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination

So what do you think? Decent assessment?

Walker does appeal to the hard right and the corporate elites. As far as Wisconsin goes and being a lifelong resident of the state, I can say he has done a good job of cutting education and while most people got a tax break of about $5, then will be forced to give that back and then some as many districts are looking at referendums to simply stay afloat. He definitely isn't out to help the average working person and the state is lagging in job creation compared to others. But the tax breaks given to corporate heads are loved by them.

• Banned
Walker does appeal to the hard right and the corporate elites. As far as Wisconsin goes and being a lifelong resident of the state, I can say he has done a good job of cutting education and while most people got a tax break of about $5, then will be forced to give that back and then some as many districts are looking at referendums to simply stay afloat. He definitely isn't out to help the average working person and the state is lagging in job creation compared to others. But the tax breaks given to corporate heads are loved by them.
Do you think any of the others have a more realistic shot at winning an election? Keep in mind they also have to survive the primaries.

Walker can't think for himself and basically does whatever he's told to do, not my idea of a good president unless you're one of the Koch Brothers.

Old School,

I think we discussed this before... Walker is dropping in job approval rating back in his home state.

I am still thinking Bush. He has the machine in place and the donors lined up. I just can't see Walker lasting the pace without a slip up, he could.

Scott Walker Presidential Bid Self-Destructs On ABC s This Week - Forbes

The think about it is Cruz can eat him alive in a debate... While I would never be a fan of Cruz he is a highly skilled debater... Cruz will probably go fo Walker due to his lack of skills in this area. Bush is a far better debater...

It is interesting how it will it pans out...

... who? It looks like we're going to have Jeb Bush, Chris Christie, Rand Paul, Scott Walker, Rafael Eduardo Cruz, Ben Carson, Mike Huckabee, Rick Perry, Rick "Urban Dictionary" Santorum, Bobby Jindal, Marco Rubio, and John Kasich.

If we eliminate the ones too crazy to have a chance in the general election we're left with:

Bush - I don't think America has the stomach for another Bush disaster so he would be an unsuccessful nominee.

Christie - The right has completely turned on him because of hurricane Sandy. I don't think he'll make it out of the primaries.

Bobby Jindal - Doesn't really have the star power. He's faded away the last few years.

Marco Rubio - the butt of everyone's jokes a couple years ago... can he make a comeback? I don't think so.

Which brings us to...

Scott Walker - I think this will be the GOP nominee. He appeals to the base and the mainstream, and he hasn't said or done anything overly terrible. Of course we'll see if that continues once the mic is in his hands all the time. He does come with the negatives that he dropped out of college to become a career politician, and has not held a job outside of political office since age 23. But he has done an overall good job managing his state. This is a guy who may be able to win over independents.

If we look at the polls Walker and Bush are neck and neck. I think walker will pull ahead.

Decent assessment, but Walker is too far to the right – the Christian fundamentalism, the hostility toward working Americans, women, and gay Americans won't garner him the votes needed from weak democrats and moderate independents to win the WH.

Old School,

I think we discussed this before... Walker is dropping in job approval rating back in his home state.

I am still thinking Bush. He has the machine in place and the donors lined up. I just can't see Walker lasting the pace without a slip up, he could.

Scott Walker Presidential Bid Self-Destructs On ABC s This Week - Forbes

The think about it is Cruz can eat him alive in a debate... While I would never be a fan of Cruz he is a highly skilled debater... Cruz will probably go fo Walker due to his lack of skills in this area. Bush is a far better debater...

It is interesting how it will it pans out...
Cruz has zero chance though. It still comes down to Walker and Bush.

Which brings us to...

Decent assessment, but Walker is too far to the right – the Christian fundamentalism, the hostility toward working Americans, women, and gay Americans won't garner him the votes needed from weak democrats and moderate independents to win the WH.
Who do you think will actually be nominated then? I still think Walker.

Which brings us to...

I honestly don't know – I know it won't be the likes of Cruz, Paul, or Carson.

Which brings us to...

Agree there. Who do you think is the worst candidate?

Which brings us to...

Agree there. Who do you think is the worst candidate?
I'd have to say Jindal – the 'no go zone' thing was really bush league.

I thought about this for over six seconds. But I didn't care.
the dynamics don't even interest you?

I, at least find the process interesting even if the end result is going to be untenable. I would say that old school is pretty close here. I also note that you found it somewhat interesting as you commented and you are not a heavy poster (as in volume) here.

Which brings us to...

At this point, I think that is a decent assessment. It won't necessarily play out that way, but the scenario makes sense. Kasich would probably be a better overall candidate but he doesn't have the name recognition outside of Ohio. The funniest thing about Scott Walker is that the Dems who pushed for his recall election are the ones responsible for making him a household name throughout the country.

Which brings us to...

Would like to see Christie make a go of it. Certainly prefer him to any other GOPer or Clinton.

Forum List

Back