The Lottery

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
I was just wondering if anyone here ever plays the lottery. The Powerball for here in Wisconsin and else where was $215,000,000.00, and I bought $20 worth on it and didn't hit jack shit. But I see no one won the jackpot and it's up to $245,000,000.00 for the Wednesday drawing. Call me a fool but I might drop $50 on that game. I mean hey, $50 for a chance to win $245,000,000.00? That's a drop in the bucket.

Good Lord.... what would I do with a one time payment of $104,700,000.00? Whew... I don't know, but I'd sure like to find out.

Damn, thought this was a Shirley Jackson thread...

I haven't rolled the dice in a lottery for many years, but I do know what I would do with the money...

Last edited:
I was just wondering if anyone here ever plays the lottery. The Powerball for here in Wisconsin and else where was $215,000,000.00, and I bought $20 worth on it and didn't hit jack shit. But I see no one won the jackpot and it's up to $245,000,000.00 for the Wednesday drawing. Call me a fool but I might drop $50 on that game. I mean hey, $50 for a chance to win $245,000,000.00? That's a drop in the bucket.

Good Lord.... what would I do with a one time payment of $104,700,000.00? Whew... I don't know, but I'd sure like to find out.

I'd just buy one ticket.

Your chances are so slim that they are statistically the same if you buy 1 ticket or 100 tickets.

Just saying

I will buy one ticket maybe if the jackpot gets big like that, not that I'll ever win, i just consider it a donation to the state

I did buy a 5 dollar red sox ticket while i was on cape cod this weekend and won 50 bucks!!!! Although i probably bought 60 dollars worth of them so far this year. so now im down like 10 bucks :lol:

I'd just buy one ticket.

Your chances are so slim that they are statistically the same if you buy 1 ticket or 100 tickets.

Just saying

I will buy one ticket maybe if the jackpot gets big like that, not that I'll ever win, i just consider it a donation to the state

I did buy a 5 dollar red sox ticket while i was on cape cod this weekend and won 50 bucks!!!! Although i probably bought 60 dollars worth of them so far this year. so now im down like 10 bucks :lol:

Yeah pretty slim, but your odds are better, and when you're betting, anything you can do to get better odds, do it.

The hard part is calculating the odds of winning if I put $1 on 50 lotteries. To do this we have to convert to probabilities. A probability is a number between 1 and 0. 1 means a perfect chance, 0 means no chance at all. The probability of winning the lottery with one dollar is 1 ÷ 3,838,380 = 0.0000002605... in other words, very small. The probability of winning the lottery with 50 dollars is 1 ÷ 76767.6 = 0.0000130263288...

Lottery Math

*shrug*

I'd probably drop a dollar on it. No more than $5. I keep meaning to do that in the lottery here when it gets above $100M, but since I don't usually play the lottery I always forget.

Since I moved to Georgia I've never played the lottery once. I did find a winning scratch-off on the ground once though. Does that count? (Only won another free scratch-off though)

I know people that will play hundreds on it. What they do is pool their money and then split any winnings. Usually if the winnings are small they just play it again. I used to do this when I worked at the Supermax Prison. We won $10,000 one time but divided up between 40 people, we all only got like $170 each after taxes. Still, we were only playing $5 a piece, so I came out ahead, and we'd only play when the jackpot got above $100M.

Last edited:
A woman in the building I work in just won the lottery.

She claims she always wanted to go to Paris, has she gone to Paris?

No, she is still working and doing what she always did.

I want to kill her.

I may kill her, if only to retain some sense of justice in the Universe.

I want to kill her.

How much did she win?

I only buy a ticket when it gets above $100 million and I hear about it. That's worth taking a chance on. Otherwise it's just throwing away good money as far as I'm concerned.

Every once in a great while (maybe once a year or so) I'll plunk down a buck if the jackpot is stupidly huge (like over $100 mil).

I figure if I win the world's going to get the best damned educational website it's every seen.

I'll just keep publishing and improving it until I run of our money, or time, whichever comes first.

That, and I'll buy new tires for the truck.

I want to kill her.

How much did she win?

Three million Australian dollars, but being Australian, she is probably bitching she did not win four million Australian dollars.

Every once in a great while (maybe once a year or so) I'll plunk down a buck if the jackpot is stupidly huge (like over $100 mil).

I figure if I win the world's going to get the best damned educational website it's every seen.

I'll just keep publishing and improving it until I run of our money, or time, whichever comes first.

That, and I'll buy new tires for the truck.

Good idea... I think you need it... :lol:

But I see you were up real late last night and now you're up real early. Did you sleep at all last night?

I want to kill her.

How much did she win?

Three million Australian dollars, but being Australian, she is probably bitching she did not win four million Australian dollars.

Three million.... well, I can guarantee you I'd never work for someone ELSE again, but I'd probably work. One thing I'd do if I won a huge chunk of money is open a world class restaurant, and I'd no doubt be very involved. Probably open it in Las Vegas. I lived in Nevada between Vegas and Reno for 8 years. I know the landscape there quite well.

I want to kill her.

How much did she win?

Well, see, I just happen to have a perfect solution for her. See, I have this uncle who is worth hundreds of millions. I mean a LOT. There's just this one problem he has at the moment. He has his finances trapped and entangled within the Nigerian monetary system, and to free it he needs just an investment of a small percentage of net worth from outside sources....say, just a million dollars. Once he gets this investment he can make the necessary bribes and such to free up his capital, and he'll repay all investors a 100% ROI.

So let this chick know that if she sends me just a million dollars, I'll pass it on to my uncle who will use it to get his assets out of the country, and he'll repay her original million, plus give her another million for the ability to use her funds. Pinky swear and all. Cross my heart.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
How much did she win?

Well, see, I just happen to have a perfect solution for her. See, I have this uncle who is worth hundreds of millions. I mean a LOT. There's just this one problem he has at the moment. He has his finances trapped and entangled within the Nigerian monetary system, and to free it he needs just an investment of a small percentage of net worth from outside sources....say, just a million dollars. Once he gets this investment he can make the necessary bribes and such to free up his capital, and he'll repay all investors a 100% ROI.

So let this chick know that if she sends me just a million dollars, I'll pass it on to my uncle who will use it to get his assets out of the country, and he'll repay her original million, plus give her another million for the ability to use her funds. Pinky swear and all. Cross my heart.

Was this your uncle?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISMgGdaGOJM]YouTube - EFCC busts some Nigerian Scammers[/ame]

I drop a few dollars on the lottery when it gets large like that. I figure if I hit it, me and the daughters will split it 3 ways, that way they will be set for life to.

Forum List

Back