The loss of a dog.

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
I am not posting this for sympathy but rather to offer my fellow dog lovers some words that I found comfort in after the loss of my dear friend a few weeks ago.

Dogs' lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy, or delight in her innocence, because you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is the way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions.

Dean Koontz

$P1010057.JPG

$P3160192.JPG

Warm summer sun,
shine brightly here.
Warm Southern wind,
blow softly here.
Green sod above,
lie light, lie light.
Good night, dear heart;
good night, good night.

Last edited:
My last dog was 17 years old when I killed her, she was dying and in pain, I still feel like a murderer.She was a fantastic dog, well trained and disciplined, she loved me and I loved her.Other posts here over the last few days have had me looking at the local shelter sites looking at the available dogs.

I will give them a miss I think.I haven't the time the inclination or the space in my heart any more.Having said that, they aren't children, they are animals.Cats? what the fuck?what do they do?

When I was 21, I asked this girl out on a date and we agreed to go see the Tom Hanks movie, Turner & Hooch. To be Mr. Suave, I picked up the tickets beforehand so I could wisk her through the lines at the movie.

That evening, just as I was walking out the door, my phone rang. It was my parents telling me that they had just put my dog down, whom we had had since I was 4 years old.

So I drove over to pick her up with tears welling in my eyes, then had to sit through a movie about a man and his dog - who dies at the end of the show!

Ouch...

Cats? what the fuck?what do they do?
Mine play fetch with pop bottle caps, just like a dog will with a ball. I throw it, they chase it, bat it around and bring it back, dropping it between my feet. Over and over until you hide the thing.

I have a little Zebco fishing pole, and we play "cat fishing" where the cats all hide and "strike" the feathered bait when I toss it out just right... I try to reel 'em in... Great fun.

I go out on my property hunting birds with my high-powered pellet gun, the cats come right along usually getting to the stricken bird before it hits the ground... They know exactly what's going on.

Another outside game we play is hide and seek. Yes, I'll go hide, they give me time then they come looking. When they find me, they run off and hide, and I hunt. By the way, you can't hide from a cat but it's fun to try. We also play "tag."

The amount of patience you have as well as the amount of trust they have in you equals how much they will do. If you betray a cat's trust in any little way they never forget. Never hit them, slap them, anything punitive like that. Stop unwanted behavior with a little blast from a small compressed air can.

Cats are every bit as eager to please you as any dog, you simply first have to be deemed worthy by them. They're not suckers and they're not stupid.

When I lost my Keeshond I was more upset than when my mother died.

Of course, I didn't see my mother get run over by a truck because I called her into the house, either, so that may have something to do with it.

My last dog was 17 years old when I killed her, she was dying and in pain, I still feel like a murderer.She was a fantastic dog, well trained and disciplined, she loved me and I loved her.Other posts here over the last few days have had me looking at the local shelter sites looking at the available dogs.

I will give them a miss I think.I haven't the time the inclination or the space in my heart any more.Having said that, they aren't children, they are animals.Cats? what the fuck?what do they do?

Please don't ruin a thread that should be filled with love and condolences. I have a cat that's going to be 17 years old in May. He's in excellent health and I expect him to live for another five years at least, but I love him no less than any dog owner ever loved their dog. I will miss him dearly when he's gone, and his life is no less valuable than any other pets life. This big old orange cat of mine has been the best companion I could have ever asked for, and he's one smart old cat. So please, take your fucking cat bashing bull shit somewhere else ya insensitve son of a bitch.

My condolences Skull Pilot. What a beautiful dog.

Last edited:
I am not posting this for sympathy but rather to offer my fellow dog lovers some words that I found comfort in after the loss of my dear friend a few weeks ago.

Dogs' lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy, or delight in her innocence, because you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is the way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions.

Dean Koontz

View attachment 7004

View attachment 7005
sorry for your loss!
My dog is getting close and I don't want to think about loosing her!

Please don't ruin a thread that should be filled with love and condolences. I have a cat that's going to be 17 years old in May. He's in excellent health and I expect him to live for another five years at least, but I love him no less than any dog owner ever loved their dog. I will miss him dearly when he's gone, and his life is no less valuable than any other pets life. This big old orange cat of mine has been the best companion I could have ever asked for, and he's one smart old cat. So please, take your fucking cat bashing bull shit somewhere else ya insensitve son of a bitch.

My condolences Skull Pilot. What a beautiful dog.

Shut your fucking yap for fucks sake, you are doing my fucking head in you big soppy girls blouse.Anyhoo, you could always wear it on your head for a hat, that way it will be with you always.

Last edited:
i have two cats...one is loving and all...one is not...we enjoy them both...shooting birds with a pellet gun...i wont even say it..that is just fucking stupid...song birds are having a hard enough time without you doing that

i have two cats...one is loving and all...one is not...we enjoy them both...shooting birds with a pellet gun...i wont even say it..that is just fucking stupid...song birds are having a hard enough time without you doing that
These aren't songbirds. They are prey.

Edit to add: I only shoot sparrows and pigeons. I don't shoot songbirds like blue jays and the like. AND it's only about maybe once every three months, when we go out to look for them. And I shoot them with a .177 caliber pellet, from at least 50 yards away. No scope. Makes them as small in the gun sight as the period at the end of this sentence looks to you. VERY hard to hit.

Seven or eight of them get shot on my property a year. It's no biggie.

Last edited:
I have all sorts of animals, but I prefer dogs. The two I have are both labs and they are wonderful. I also have a cat that acts just like a dog.

View attachment 7010
love ceiling cat!
As for my cat, she is evil and acts just like a cat! I did have a cat who ate dog food and was more like a dog than most cats I have had!

the mixed is jake...he is anywhere from 9 to 11 yrs old...we are not sure...adopted him from humane...he was a wild child....he has recently slowed a lot....age and all...
the dobie is ..thor..he is 3 yrs old this month

Attachments

• $P7310004.JPG
    $P7310004.JPG
    608.4 KB · Views: 72
  • $P8110008.JPG
    $P8110008.JPG
    621.5 KB · Views: 67

why bash cats? mine is my best friend.

Skull -- I'm so sorry for your loss. I waited my whole life for a dog and we got ours from the spca about 5 years ago. She's a collie mix and just the best dog. Thanks for posting the words by Dean Koontz. Nothing anyone says can really help; just know that others understand. {hug}

Attachments

• $027.JPG
    $027.JPG
    342.2 KB · Views: 63

Forum List

Back