The loss of a dog.

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Skull Pilot, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,001
    I am not posting this for sympathy but rather to offer my fellow dog lovers some words that I found comfort in after the loss of my dear friend a few weeks ago.

$P1010057.JPG

$P3160192.JPG

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Warm summer sun,
    shine brightly here.
    Warm Southern wind,
    blow softly here.
    Green sod above,
    lie light, lie light.
    Good night, dear heart;
    good night, good night.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,849
    dog heaven...where all the rabbits are slow...and there is always a milk bone in the kibble bowl

4. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    My last dog was 17 years old when I killed her, she was dying and in pain, I still feel like a murderer.She was a fantastic dog, well trained and disciplined, she loved me and I loved her.Other posts here over the last few days have had me looking at the local shelter sites looking at the available dogs.

I will give them a miss I think.I haven't the time the inclination or the space in my heart any more.Having said that, they aren't children, they are animals.Cats? what the fuck?what do they do?

5. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,979
    When I was 21, I asked this girl out on a date and we agreed to go see the Tom Hanks movie, Turner & Hooch. To be Mr. Suave, I picked up the tickets beforehand so I could wisk her through the lines at the movie.

That evening, just as I was walking out the door, my phone rang. It was my parents telling me that they had just put my dog down, whom we had had since I was 4 years old.

So I drove over to pick her up with tears welling in my eyes, then had to sit through a movie about a man and his dog - who dies at the end of the show!

Ouch...

6. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Mine play fetch with pop bottle caps, just like a dog will with a ball. I throw it, they chase it, bat it around and bring it back, dropping it between my feet. Over and over until you hide the thing.

I have a little Zebco fishing pole, and we play "cat fishing" where the cats all hide and "strike" the feathered bait when I toss it out just right... I try to reel 'em in... Great fun.

I go out on my property hunting birds with my high-powered pellet gun, the cats come right along usually getting to the stricken bird before it hits the ground... They know exactly what's going on.

Another outside game we play is hide and seek. Yes, I'll go hide, they give me time then they come looking. When they find me, they run off and hide, and I hunt. By the way, you can't hide from a cat but it's fun to try. We also play "tag."

The amount of patience you have as well as the amount of trust they have in you equals how much they will do. If you betray a cat's trust in any little way they never forget. Never hit them, slap them, anything punitive like that. Stop unwanted behavior with a little blast from a small compressed air can.

Cats are every bit as eager to please you as any dog, you simply first have to be deemed worthy by them. They're not suckers and they're not stupid.

7. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    You kill birds for the entertainment of you and your cats?:evil:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    They eat them. And I keep my shooting skills really sharp.

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    When I lost my Keeshond I was more upset than when my mother died.

Of course, I didn't see my mother get run over by a truck because I called her into the house, either, so that may have something to do with it.

10. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,775
    Please don't ruin a thread that should be filled with love and condolences. I have a cat that's going to be 17 years old in May. He's in excellent health and I expect him to live for another five years at least, but I love him no less than any dog owner ever loved their dog. I will miss him dearly when he's gone, and his life is no less valuable than any other pets life. This big old orange cat of mine has been the best companion I could have ever asked for, and he's one smart old cat. So please, take your fucking cat bashing bull shit somewhere else ya insensitve son of a bitch.

My condolences Skull Pilot. What a beautiful dog.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009