The IPAB: How ObamaCare Will Ration Care

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Hot Air Blog has an interesting clip of Peter Orszag describing how the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB) will focus on quality over quantity to reduce costs; and how its decisions cannot be overridden by Congress without a super majority.

Not that any of this comes as a surprise to those who paid attention to the ObamaCare bill, of course. I wrote about the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB) twice in December, first when the CBO scored the bill as a $130 billion deficit reduction, and the second time just before the passage of ObamaCare by the Senate. In both posts, I noted how the IPAB was set up specifically as a rationing system, which ObamaCare advocates denied, but which none other than OMB Director Peter Orszag confirms in this interview from earlier this month, caught by Naked Emperor News for Breitbart TV:

Video clip at the source link:

Hot Air Blog Archive Video: Orszag explains how ObamaCare imposes rationing

If anything, Orszag might be underestimating the difficulty in changing the IPAB’s decisions on rationing. The bill required a supermajority of 67 votes in the Senate to override the IPAB, which made Jim DeMint irate and prompted a big “I told you so” from Sarah Palin. As I wrote at the time, based on information from a Capitol Hill source:

The bill sets up a supermajority threshold of 67 votes to bring accountability to [IPAB] decisions, and the rule on being in or out of order can get waived at 60 votes. However, as this battle shows, even getting to 60 is almost an impossibility, let alone 67. Clearly [Harry] Reid wants to put accountability out of reach with these radical propositions.

ObamaCare is a rationing system, and the IPAB will be one of the key drivers for that rationing. If you don’t believe me, just listen to Orszag.

It's really horrific.

In the bill, there is a provision which makes the decisions of the IPAB automatically effective unless the Senate overrides them with a 2/3 majority. This transfers enormous power from the Legislative to the unelected bureaucrats managed by the Executive Branch.

To pass ObamaCare, Dems defrauded the American people far worse than Goldman Sachs ever did

No SHIT & CRAP Sherlock!

No, no, no NO...... Death panels are a right wing conspiracy. Made up. None of this can be real. Rationing won't happen. This bill makes healthcare cheap for everyone without taking anything from anyone. That is just how it is. Now, STOP READING THE BILL!!!!

Well, if they don't want us to know about them, perhaps Peter Orszag should stop describing how they will work.

Forum List

Back