The Good Shepherd

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
The prodigal son left his father's house seeking greener pastures. It wasn't until he learned that the greener pastures he sought were to be found back at his father's house. By the providence of God, he came to himself and returned to his father's house. While he was still afar off, his father, who had daily been looking for his return, ran to meet him embracing and kissing him. The picture of this father rejoicing over his son's return is a beautiful illustration of God's love for his prodigal children. In Charles Spurgeon's sermon, "The Good Shepherd," he instructs us that Jesus Christ is the good Shepherd who is seeking to save those who are lost. No man finds the Lord. It is the Lord who goes out and finds us. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way, and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all (Isaiah 53:6).

For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
Luke 19:10

And he spake this parable unto them, saying, What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost. I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
Luke 15:37

db9e567d8965f08abe2871bd1cd8c937.jpg

w.gif
HEN a shepherd has at last overtaken his poor, silly, wandering sheep, he does not straightway fall to scolding or beating it for having cost him so much toil and trouble. No; but he observes that it is very weary, that it has torn itself among thorns, and cut itself among jagged rocks, and therefore he first tenderly sees to its wounds, and then bears it back to the fold in his own arms.

Poor trembling sinner, the gospel has at length laid hold upon you; you cannot longer run into the paths of sin, grace has stopped your mad career, and made you tremble at the guilt of sin. You are afraid of Jesus, for you know how sorely you have grieved him; you fear that he will chide you severely, and perhaps spurn you from his presence.

Oh think not so of the Good Shepherd! He is already gazing on your bleeding wounds, and preparing to bind them up; he will soon take compassion on your weakness, and bear you in his arms. Trust to him, poor sinner, just as the poor sheep trusts the shepherd.

A man is more precious than a sheep, and Jesus is more tender than the most careful shepherd. To coming sinners he is gentle indeed. When the prodigal returned all ragged, and filthy, his loving father did not put him in quarantine till he had been cleansed and purified, but there and then he fell upon his neck and kissed him, without so much as giving him one upbraiding word. He came straight from the swine-trough to his parent's arms.

That welcomed prodigal is the type of such sinners such as you are. You too shall have all kisses, and no frowns; all love, and no wrath; all kindness, and no severity. Oh! if you knew the Saviour, you would not delay. Now, now poor heavy-laden sinner, trust the Lord Jesus, and live. He has never treated one returning prodigal with harshness, and he cannot change, and will therefore deal as generously with you as He has done with others. Whether thou wilt trust him or no—I will—I do. Poor sinner, may the Holy Spirit lead thee to look to Jesus and live.

S&T Tract 20

The prodigal son left his father's house seeking greener pastures. It wasn't until he learned that the greener pastures he sought were to be found back at his father's house. By the providence of God, he came to himself and returned to his father's house. While he was still afar off, his father, who had daily been looking for his return, ran to meet him embracing and kissing him. The picture of this father rejoicing over his son's return is a beautiful illustration of God's love for his prodigal children. In Charles Spurgeon's sermon, "The Good Shepherd," he instructs us that Jesus Christ is the good Shepherd who is seeking to save those who are lost. No man finds the Lord. It is the Lord who goes out and finds us. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way, and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all (Isaiah 53:6).

For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
Luke 19:10

And he spake this parable unto them, saying, What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost. I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.
Luke 15:37

db9e567d8965f08abe2871bd1cd8c937.jpg

w.gif
HEN a shepherd has at last overtaken his poor, silly, wandering sheep, he does not straightway fall to scolding or beating it for having cost him so much toil and trouble. No; but he observes that it is very weary, that it has torn itself among thorns, and cut itself among jagged rocks, and therefore he first tenderly sees to its wounds, and then bears it back to the fold in his own arms.

Poor trembling sinner, the gospel has at length laid hold upon you; you cannot longer run into the paths of sin, grace has stopped your mad career, and made you tremble at the guilt of sin. You are afraid of Jesus, for you know how sorely you have grieved him; you fear that he will chide you severely, and perhaps spurn you from his presence.

Oh think not so of the Good Shepherd! He is already gazing on your bleeding wounds, and preparing to bind them up; he will soon take compassion on your weakness, and bear you in his arms. Trust to him, poor sinner, just as the poor sheep trusts the shepherd.

A man is more precious than a sheep, and Jesus is more tender than the most careful shepherd. To coming sinners he is gentle indeed. When the prodigal returned all ragged, and filthy, his loving father did not put him in quarantine till he had been cleansed and purified, but there and then he fell upon his neck and kissed him, without so much as giving him one upbraiding word. He came straight from the swine-trough to his parent's arms.

That welcomed prodigal is the type of such sinners such as you are. You too shall have all kisses, and no frowns; all love, and no wrath; all kindness, and no severity. Oh! if you knew the Saviour, you would not delay. Now, now poor heavy-laden sinner, trust the Lord Jesus, and live. He has never treated one returning prodigal with harshness, and he cannot change, and will therefore deal as generously with you as He has done with others. Whether thou wilt trust him or no—I will—I do. Poor sinner, may the Holy Spirit lead thee to look to Jesus and live.

S&T Tract 20

Yo, words of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount : “All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them.”
200 (4).gif

"GTP"

John Newton was raised by a godly Christian mother who was faithful to teach her young son the Word of God. Her prayer was that John would become a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. John's mother died when he was only 7 years old.

His father remarried and he was set aside. Later John followed his father onto the high seas but the bitterness that had taken hold of his heart grew ever stronger and he became a very great sinner. He blasphemed the name of the Lord and seduced others to do the same. His wickedness knew no boundaries. Eventually he took up slave trading and it was during a great and terrible storm that he finally cried out to God to save him! God answered his prayer and John returned to the faith he had once known as a child.

It is noteworthy to tell that John's mother's prayer - although she had long since left the earth - had been answered. John Newton became a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the words which he wrote, Amazing Grace - were turned into one of the greatest hymns the church has ever sung!

John Newton was a prodigal son who returned to the Father's house.

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:9

Last edited:
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

’Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears relieved;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed!

Through many dangers, toils and snares,
I have already come;
’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me,
His Word my hope secures;
He will my Shield and Portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess, within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who called me here below,
Will be forever mine.

When we’ve been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we’d first begun.

Amazing Grace > Lyrics | John Newton

John Newton was raised by a godly Christian mother who was faithful to teach her young son the Word of God. Her prayer was that John would become a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. John's mother died when he was only 7 years old.

His father remarried and he was set aside. Later John followed his father onto the high seas but the bitterness that had taken hold of his heart grew ever stronger and he became a very great sinner. He blasphemed the name of the Lord and seduced others to do the same. His wickedness knew no boundaries. Eventually he took up slave trading and it was during a great and terrible storm that he finally cried out to God to save him! God answered his prayer and John returned to the faith he had once known as a child.

It is noteworthy to tell that John's mother's prayer - although she had long since left the earth - had been answered. John Newton became a minister of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the words which he wrote, Amazing Grace - were turned into one of the greatest hymns the church has ever sung!

John Newton was a prodigal son who returned to the Father's house.

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
2 Peter 3:9

Yo,

"GTP"
animated-jesus-clip-art-676075.gif

1)Charles Spurgeon's sermon surely uses my name a lot.
By the providence of God, he came to himself and HaShev to his father's house. While he was still afar off, his father, who had daily been looking for his HaShev, ran to meet him embracing and kissing him. The picture of this father rejoicing over his son HaShev is a beautiful illustration of God's love for his prodigal children. In Charles Spurgeon's sermon.
2) If Charles Spurgeon's or anyone else hired a Shepherd tp attend his sheep and those sheep got scattered and slain, that would be a Bad Shepherd not a good one.
Must you always twist reality?

Donald Trump tells the bad shepherd
"Jesus Your Fired"!

The phrase is meant to say:
"to tend to his sheep"
& You're Fired!
*(ready to turn off this annoying spell checker feature)
I'm as bad of a typist as the Jesus character was bad at tending sheep.

Forum List

Back