The glaring evidence that Obamacare is a catastrophic FAILURE continues to mount

And you believe them!

I don't. Not sure why you would think that. Conservatives follow your rhetoric on health care, not mine. To this day, no one has been able to make the case why privatizing the administration of reimbursements benefits patients.

And you believe them!

I don't. Not sure why you would think that. Conservatives follow your rhetoric on health care, not mine. To this day, no one has been able to make the case why privatizing the administration of reimbursements benefits patients.

I'm not interested in your little left/right posting match. Both parties are dominated by people who want to use government as a club to force others to bend to their will. Why can't the busybodies just mind their own business?

I'm not interested in your little left/right posting match. Both parties are dominated by people who want to use government as a club to force others to bend to their will. Why can't the busybodies just mind their own business?

Spare me the melodrama! You're the one here defending insurance companies!

How is your will being bent by force? Do you want some cheese to go with that whine?

How is your will being bent by force? Do you want some cheese to go with that whine?

It's not, yet. But if the fascists take over health care, we'll all be impacted.

You clearly don't understand my position at all. I'm not defending insurance companies. I'm just trying to counter some of the mis-information surrounding health care reform. It's the biggest obstacle to actually resolving the problem.

THAT WHAT PROVIDER NETWORKS ARE "COMPETING FOR PATIENTS"

No, they don't. Provider Networks compete for insurers. Provider Networks do not negotiate rates with you, nor do you reimburse them for the care they provide. The insurer does that. Providers play insurers off one another to get higher reimbursements by increasing their fees. You have nothing to do with that. Providers aren't competing for patients in an open market. They're competing for patients among the insurance plans they accept. Patients are secondary.

MOST HEALTH INSURERS HAVE DOCTORS ON STAFF AND PLENTY OF RN'S.

No they don't. You are confusing Providers with Insurers. Insurers have nothing to do with your care. All they do is administer reimbursement to your provider for the care they provide. Unless it's Kaiser, no insurance company employs any medical staff at all. In fact, insurers don't even have physicians on staff that determine what is covered and what isn't. That is determined by accountants, not doctors.

Again a provider only gets into a network so the insurance company sends more patients to him and not to lose the ones he/she has, otherwise no sense in signing a contract with an insurance company.

I don't know where you get your info from but most major insurer's have doctor's and RN's on staff. No the doctor's don't treat you.

Oh I suspect you are a sock for healthmyths, sound just like him.

You clearly don't understand my position at all. I'm not defending insurance companies. I'm just trying to counter some of the mis-information surrounding health care reform. It's the biggest obstacle to actually resolving the problem.

Most people don't care to know the mis-information.

Heh... right. If you control the purse strings, you control everything - as you've proven. If government is supplying the cash, than can simply mandate which services they will pay for, which they won't, how much they will pay, who is eligible, who isn't, etc, etc....

Government isn't supplying the cash...taxpayers are. Government is just the entity that makes sure the cash gets to the doctor who treated you. And right now, insurance companies already mandate what services they pay for, and they do that because of the profit motive. No profit motive = no denial of claims. The only reason a health insurer won't pay a medical claim is because doing so would affect their profit margin. That's it. That's the only reason why that would happen. In a single-payer system, that wouldn't be the case so long as the system is well-funded. A 6.2% payroll tax to replace Medicare tax and employer-provided insurance would be able to fully fund Medicare, removing the need for Parts A-D, and thus, reducing expenses for people on Medicare and on private insurance right now. It makes no sense that as a society, we spend 20 cents of every dollar to health care. That's entirely because of insurance companies. There is no other reason.

Wow.. you really don't get what a hedge is. Do some reading: Hedge (finance) - WikipediaIndividuals live with the risk that they might get sick and not be able to afford an available cure. They pay insurance companies a monthly fee (a premium) to cover some or all of the costs if the risk is realized.

Right, and that is in a for-profit model, not a single-payer model. In a single-payer model, there is no risk because everyone is in the same insurance pool. So I don't know why you all get so fixated on the "mitigating risk" while ignoring the fact that risk is only mitigated because insurance companies are profit-driven. Remove the profit motive and you remove the risk. It's that simple. Again, that's why single payer systems beat ours in nearly every measurable health metric there is, including cost. If what you're saying is true, then the universal, single-payer systems would result in more health care spending, not less. So what we have here is a case of reality clashing with fantasy. There is no way to reduce costs and provide universal coverage in a for-profit health insurance system. It is impossible. So why are we bothering with this? There is no advantage to having the transaction between an insurance company and your provider privatized. It does not improve or enhance your care at all. In fact, it restricts it. It restricts your choice of doctor. It restricts your options for treatment. And it does that in service not of your health, but of the insurance company's profit margins. By defending for-profit health insurance, you are defending price gouging, rescission, and claim denials. None of which does anything to improve or enhance your health care.

The only reason a health insurer won't pay a medical claim is because doing so would affect their profit margin. That's it.

Maybe the claim was coded wrong, maybe it wasn't legit, yea I know it's hard to get anything through your head but sometimes those are the cases.

Ok I said in an earlier thread you may be a sock for healthmyths I may be wrong you sound like Edward whatever.

As the Dumbocrats on USMB love to crow about - Obamacare was passed into law by Congress, signed into law by the president, and upheld by the Supreme Court. So why exactly does the federal government have to piss away billions to promote an existing law?!? Has this ever been done with any other law in U.S. history?

They begged the NBA to help promote it and the NBA said yes. They begged the NFL to help promote it, and the NFL told them to go fuck themselves (doh!). So why are they so desperate to reach people through Hollywood and sports? Because even the Dumbocrats know this is a miserable failure, and they know it is going to be repealed eventually unless they can do major damage control and brainwash the masses (especially the young and impressionable - hence the NBA, NFL, etc.) that this is a "good" thing.

Super Bowl champ Baltimore Ravens getting paid $130,000 to promote Obamacare | WashingtonExaminer.com

Hey look you are a liar

Conservatives are working on changes to the GOP health overhaul bill. At the heart of those negotiations is the law's requirement that most insurance plans offer 10 specific categories of "essential health benefits." They include hospital care, doctor and outpatient visits and prescription drug coverage, along with things like maternity care, mental health and preventive care services.

The want to strip required benefits, arguing that the coverage guarantees were driving up premium prices. "The insurance mandates are a primary driver of [premium] spikes," Ted Cruz, R-Texas, wrote in March.

But health analysts and economists say that eliminating those benefits won't bring premiums down.

Essential Health Benefits

Under the Affordable Care Act, every health insurance plan must cover the following services:

•Ambulatory services (care you get without being admitted to the hospital)
•Emergency services
•Hospitalization (like surgery and overnight stays)
•Pregnancy, maternity and newborn care
•Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment (this includes counseling and psychotherapy)
•Prescription drugs
•Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
•Laboratory services
•Preventive care and chronic disease management
•Pediatric services, including oral and vision care (but adult dental and vision coverage aren't essential health benefits)

Republicans want to get rid of things like maternity care and mental health and substance abuse treatment as things that drive up premiums for people who will never use such services. But here’s the problem. These things don’t raise the prices that much. Hospital care, doctor visits and prescription drugs "are the three big ones. Unless they were talking about ditching those, the other ones only have a marginal impact.

Maternity care and mental health and substance abuse, he says, "are probably less than 5 percent" of premium costs.

As the Dumbocrats on USMB love to crow about - Obamacare was passed into law by Congress, signed into law by the president, and upheld by the Supreme Court. So why exactly does the federal government have to piss away billions to promote an existing law?!? Has this ever been done with any other law in U.S. history?

They begged the NBA to help promote it and the NBA said yes. They begged the NFL to help promote it, and the NFL told them to go fuck themselves (doh!). So why are they so desperate to reach people through Hollywood and sports? Because even the Dumbocrats know this is a miserable failure, and they know it is going to be repealed eventually unless they can do major damage control and brainwash the masses (especially the young and impressionable - hence the NBA, NFL, etc.) that this is a "good" thing.

Super Bowl champ Baltimore Ravens getting paid $130,000 to promote Obamacare | WashingtonExaminer.com

Hey look you are a liar
Congrats....that was your dumbest post ever. You called me a "liar" and then didn't address a single thing I stated in my post. You went off on a tangent about stuff I never mentioned.

Thank goodness for the "Affordable" Healthcare Act! :doubt:

Yeah...prices have absolutely skyrocketed ever since Barack Obama and the Dumbocrats unconstitutionally stuck their nose into the healthcare industry. Now Maryland could see 150% increases just this year alone.

Health Insurers in Maryland Request Premium Rate Hikes as High as 150%

I'm not fan of ACA, but I don't know how you can claim it's a failure. The insurance industry is enjoying record profits. And Trumpcare will be even better! I bet they end up having the IRS just deposit the tax credits directly into your insurance company's bank.

Yeah...prices have absolutely skyrocketed ever since Barack Obama and the Dumbocrats unconstitutionally stuck their nose into the healthcare industry. Now Maryland could see 150% increases just this year alone.

Man that is more than outrageous. Even the average is outrageous. I would say cigna requesting 150% they probably be happy with 80% in which case no one is going to approve and this is their exit.

I'm not fan of ACA, but I don't know how you can claim it's a failure. The insurance industry is enjoying record profits. And Trumpcare will be even better! I bet they end up having the IRS just deposit the tax credits directly into your insurance company's bank.

The tax credits will be refunded to you in your tax return. Instead of being paid upfront like now you won't see them until you file your taxes next year. Therefore most of the ones receiving a subsidy now will not be able to afford health insurance the year before they get their tax credits.

Only a few insurance companies reaped profits but none the less they received them. One of the largest that pulled out of most markets this year lost only because they did what they do with group the first year, low ball premium's. You can't be profitable if you low ball the first year in aca and then expect to make it up, it won't happen. Group they made it up next year by raising premiums in the 20% range. But overall that same company made huge profits from their other division's.

Man that is more than outrageous. Even the average is outrageous. I would say cigna requesting 150% they probably be happy with 80% in which case no one is going to approve and this is their exit.

And they'll get most of what they ask for. This ought to give you some pause to consider: What is harder, lobbying government for a bump in their rates, knowing that their customers can't refuse to buy, or selling overpriced insurance to people who can't afford it? The insurance industry wrote ACA.

Last edited:

The tax credits will be refunded to you in your tax return. Instead of being paid upfront like now you won't see them until you file your taxes next year. Therefore most of the ones receiving a subsidy now will not be able to afford health insurance the year before they get their tax credits.

Yeah, but with the Republicans in charge, the insurance industry will get even more money, in the long run. We just have to be patient.

And they'll get most of what they ask for. This ought to give you some pause to consider: What is harder, lobbying government for a bump in their rates, knowing that your customers can't refuse to buy, or selling overpriced insurance to people who can't afford it. The insurance industry wrote ACA.

They did help somewhat, it was the insurance companies that demanded the individual mandate. Actually I believe that the CEO of Cigna at that time had a lot of input if I remember right.

Yeah, but with the Republicans in charge, the insurance industry will get even more money, in the long run. We just have to be patient.

You see that is the problem with aca and the present pending legislation, they have to have insurance companies to play along or it ain't gona happen. They have to give them something and it's money.

Forum List

Back