the ethics of octuplets....

The lady lives with her mother still! If she can't live on her own she shouldn't be having more children but hey she will get plenty of free shit from many people. I bet she will be on Oprah within the year getting a bundle of stuff!

Newspapers, magazines, film crews following them around, book and film deals, advertising endorsements, the sky is the limit.

The lady lives with her mother still! If she can't live on her own she shouldn't be having more children but hey she will get plenty of free shit from many people. I bet she will be on Oprah within the year getting a bundle of stuff!

Newspapers, magazines, film crews following them around, book and film deals, advertising endorsements, the sky is the limit.

I feel for her kids, especially the first 6.

My question is if you already have 6 and you are having problems getting pregnant and you live with your mother, when do you say to yourself maybe God or whoever is trying to tell me something. There is a point when reality has to set in and say this is bad idea.
My cousin did the same thing, I don't know how many embroys she had implanted, I know it was more than one but she only had one child before not six plus she has the means to take care of the child she had and the one she has now or the children she could have had.

If this woman wants to live at home with her parents and have 14 children what's it to you?

Octuplets: Eight times the ethical questions - CNN.com

many questions have been raised?
why would a woman with 6 kids have fertility treatments?
Cuz she's :cuckoo:.
what doctors implanted 8 fertilized eggs? what do you think?

I think any doctor who implants a woman with that many embryos is putting his patient at risk for serious complications and should be brought before the medical board. The article mentions that she could have been implanted with less than 8 and that some split after being implanted. In any case, there don't seem to be laws restricting how many eggs a doctor can implant and there should be so that something like this does not happen again.

The mother is free to do what she wants with her body but she did an extremely selfish and irresponsible thing by carrying all, even any, of those fetuses to term. She already had 6 kids!!

Because we are already suffering the consequences of having overpopulated our planet, I am in favor of discouraging women from giving birth to excessive numbers of children using any legal and ethical method that does not interfere with her right to do as she wishes with her own body. After giving birth to a certain number of children, laws which guarantee maternity leave should no longer apply. I do not see how any woman, no matter how rich or energetic, can give enough maternal attention and emotional support to that many children. IMO, that would be a reason for child protective services to remove some from her home and place them for adoption. Perhaps a tax on excess children would be a good idea.

There is no ethical way I can think of to prevent women from getting pregnant or force them to have abortions. But if once the excess children are born, and it's known that they will be removed from the parents by the state, I think that would do much to discourage people from this kind of irresponsible behavior.

I'm curious if the anti abortion people - the extremist ones who want to to see laws passed which would criminalize smoking, drinking and other behaviors known to affect the health of their fetuses - would consider that this woman's refusal to abort some of the fetuses in order to give others a better chance for survival and healthier lives was also criminal? What she did put her future children at as much risk as women who drink and smoke heavily and who do drugs during pregnancy.

Last edited:
Anguille--

The thread is primarily about bashing the mother not addressing the ethics of the doctor who implanted the eight embryos. This woman wanted ONE more child.

How many of the posters who are bashing the mother are anti-abortion proponents? How many of you complaining about this woman having 14 children would have been appalled if she aborted any of her pregnancies?

What should she have done? Aborted seven out of eight because she only wanted one more child?

Last edited:
I knew a family on social assistance who had help with the 6th child. The mother decided she was a lesbian, called CAS and that was that. The father has them back, now.

Does that make you happy? Are lesbians inherently bad parents?

Last edited:
It was reported yesterday that the family of the octuplets filed for bankruptcy less than two years ago and subsequently abandoned their home. It is thought that they are now receiving government welfare.

The marital status of the mother is unknown. Neither is anything known about the octuplets’ father. Another mystery is how the the estimated $100,000 (£70,000) cost of an IVF birth might have been met

full article:

Octuplets' mother 'had multiple IVF' although she has six children - Times Online

no question she seems to have mental problems... i'm surprised her original doctor did not note such, before he implanted all 8 eggs in to her....?

Regardless, it still isn't the gvts business nor ours....it is hers and her doctors....regardless of any welfare she may or may not get.

is this what it will be like when and if universal health care gets instituted? Where all of you guys get a say in my medical decisions and my health?

I'll pass.....if that's the case.

care

Yep.. Get used to it Care. Pretty soon, all your medical decisions will be made by your fellow busy body forum posters.

Anguille--

The thread is primarily about bashing the mother not addressing the ethics of the doctor who implanted the eight embryos. This woman wanted ONE more child.

She already had six, too many in my eyes. From what I read, she was advised to abort some of the fetuses but refused. So it looks to me like she wanted all 8. The doctor is primarily at fault, he/she should never have made it possible for this to happen. I grant that this may have been a freak thing, that the doctor never expected or intended for her to end up giving birth to 8 babies, but even so, he made a very serious miscalculation and it should be investigated.

This is the United States, not Communist China. We do not legislate family size. If you object to large families--consider that many religious groups do not believe in contraception, of any kind, except abstinence.

We have separation of church and state. Anguille, you may not approve of large families but you don't get to decide to should or shouldn't get an abortion.

It was reported yesterday that the family of the octuplets filed for bankruptcy less than two years ago and subsequently abandoned their home. It is thought that they are now receiving government welfare.

The marital status of the mother is unknown. Neither is anything known about the octuplets’ father. Another mystery is how the the estimated $100,000 (£70,000) cost of an IVF birth might have been met

full article:

Octuplets' mother 'had multiple IVF' although she has six children - Times Online

Her financial or marital status are irrelevant. The poor and the unmarried have just as much right as anyone to have children as the rich and married. It's the number of children that is the problem. Personally I think we should all strive not to have more than one child per parent.

i would think most of the "busy bodies" on this forum limited their children to the number they could afford...i know i did...now why should i pay for this mental case to have children like this....think andrea yates

no question she seems to have mental problems... i'm surprised her original doctor did not note such, before he implanted all 8 eggs in to her....?

Regardless, it still isn't the gvts business nor ours....it is hers and her doctors....regardless of any welfare she may or may not get.

is this what it will be like when and if universal health care gets instituted? Where all of you guys get a say in my medical decisions and my health?

I'll pass.....if that's the case.

care

No doubt she is a fruitcake and the doctor was remiss in giving her fertility treatments. But do you think we should be issuing medical licenses to doctors who do this kind of stuff? I don't. I think he/she broke the Hippocratic oath by implanting embryos in this woman.

i would think most of the "busy bodies" on this forum limited their children to the number they could afford...i know i did...now why should i pay for this mental case to have children like this....think andrea yates

same reason i have to pay for the military industrial complex, unnecessary wars and a $700 billion dollar bail out to greedy, irresponsible, thieves i suppose.....?

Forum List

Back