The End Of The Warrior Culture?

Snookie

Groovy Dude
Jan 24, 2013
virginia
Sometimes bad economic news is good. This is a case in point.

Military: Budget cuts threaten ops like Syria | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

American warships lie in wait across the eastern Mediterranean Sea ready to strike Syria if ordered, and Pentagon officials insist they'll find the money to fund the operation if needed.

But as the military continues to grapple with massive budget cuts, senior defense leaders said this week that it will certainly get harder and more expensive to respond quickly to similar international conflicts in the future.

Navy Secretary Ray Mabus, whose ships make up the bulk of the U.S. military threat against Syria, was blunt Wednesday, warning that the impending automatic, across-the-board budget cuts would make it far more difficult to give the president credible military options

Last edited:
Let's set the record straight, snookie -

military people abhor war!

We train and prepare ourselves for it but pray, with all our hearts, that we will never have to kill another human being - EXCEPT to protect our homes and families.

Most military planning is how to evade actually going into combat, to stop it before it can happen. Unfortunately, we must rely on diplomats - and our current diplomats fall far short of what we need.

So, before you shoot off your mouth like that, do a bit of research.:mad:

All peoples and countries throughout history have kept and nurtured a certain % of their citizens to become warriors.

The world is a dangerous place and a people without a military class will not stand the test of time. .. :cool:

All three of the writers above are correct to some extent. Blend the better parts, and one has a pretty good idea about what our "warriors" do and for what they should be ready.

And for the moment: our diplomats have done very well in making Syria and Russia back up on chemical weapons.

...military people abhor war!

We train and prepare ourselves for it but pray, with all our hearts, that we will never have to kill another human being - EXCEPT to protect our homes and families.

Most military planning is how to evade actually going into combat, to stop it before it can happen.
What a crock!

Yeah, sure, they tried so hard to avoid going into Iraq, to protect museums and cultural assets and essential infrastructure and assets -- to prepare for a sensible occupation -- NOT!!!!!!

Politicians and financial interests discovered long ago that the easiest way to keep the economy going and make out like bandits is to use the war machine to destroy a country, gorge on the military profits, and then make even more money rebuilding the shattered societies and infrastructure.

The people involved? -- Just "collateral damage."

Last edited:

Most military planning is how to evade actually going into combat, to stop it before it can happen. Unfortunately, we must rely on diplomats - and our current diplomats fall far short of what we need.

BS, I am an army veteran, 64-67. There were plenty of men who loved killing.

Lt. Callie ring a bell?

...military people abhor war!

Most military planning is how to evade actually going into combat, to stop it before it can happen.
What a crock!

Yeah, sure, they tried so hard to avoid going into Iraq, to protect museums and cultural assets and essential infrastructure and assets -- to prepare for a sensible occupation -- NOT!!!!!!

Politicians and financial interests discovered long ago that the easiest way to keep the economy going and make out like bandits is to use the war machine to destroy a country, gorge on the military profits, and then make even more money rebuilding the shattered societies and infrastructure.

The people involved? -- Just "collateral damage."

Agreed.

I don't even know why we're supporting the FSA, it's not really in the interest of the Syrian people. Anyone who believes that the US doesn't have an ulterior agenda isn't paying attention.

Why the Push for Syrian Intervention Is About More Than Just Assad
Why does Obama insist on retaining the option of attacking Syria, despite growing opposition in Congress and the general public?
http://www.thenation.com/article/176100/why-push-syrian-intervention-about-more-just-assad#

And this is where Syria enters the equation. Although Syria is not itself a significant oil producer, it lies adjacent to many of the major suppliers and has long served as a host for pipelines connecting the Gulf to the Mediterranean. More importantly, in recent years, is has assumed strategic importance as an ally of Iran and a conduit for Iranian arms shipments to Hezbollah in Lebanon. “Syria has a geopolitical importance out of all proportion to its relatively small population, area, resource base, and economic wealth because of formidable military power…and its location at the heart of the Middle East,” Alasdair Drysdale of the Australian National University wrote in the Oxford Companion to World Politics. “As a result, it plays a central role in most of the Middle East’s key disputes.”

This is the dilemma facing Obama today. If the United States cannot extricate himself from the geopolitical imperatives posed by Iran’s continuing threat to Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the safety of Persian Gulf oil supplies, it cannot extricate itself from the turmoil in Syria. Because a failure to confront Assad’s excesses could be viewed as giving Iran and other outside powers a green light to meddle in the Syrian conflict, and could be seen by the Iranians as an indication that they can continue to stockpile enriched uranium with impunity, US leaders see no choice but to become involved in Syria.

Russian involvement in the Syrian imbroglio adds another dimension to America’s dilemma. Russia has long-established ties with the Syrian leadership, beginning with Assad’s predecessor, his father Hafiz, and retains a vital naval base at Tartous, on Syria’s Mediterranean coast. More important than these strategic interests, however, is Moscow’s desire to curb America’s global activism. From Russia’s perspective, then, Syria is less important as a strategic asset in itself than as an arena in which to gain geopolitical advantage over the West. By the same token, a failure to contest Russia’s spoiler in Syria role could be interpreted as an invitation for Moscow to undertake other obstructionist endeavors.

Add all this together, and it becomes nearly impossible for American leaders to avoid involvement in the Syrian conflict. “What makes Syria so much more complicated than Libya is that the strategic issues are as prominent as the moral ones,” said Princeton professor Anne-Marie Slaughter in February 2012, shortly after completing a stint as director of policy planning at the State Department. But while the moral issues may be dominating the public debate over possible attacks on Syria, it is the strategic issues that will, in the end, dictate the government’s response.

1236668_499128870180612_1003466722_n.jpg

kissinger-mk-military.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfEBupAeo4]All Wars Are Bankers' Wars - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Lt. Callie ring a bell?

Fortunately the Callie's are somewhat rare creatures.
Some professional military men prepare all their lives for war, it's their biggie, what it's all about and imagine with no war it's like a wasted life. War means promotions, popularity, pay raises, a chance to put all that training to use, to gain some notice look heroic. I feel somewhat sorry for the professional military and no war, sort of like a wasted life.

Lt. Callie ring a bell?

Fortunately the Callie's are somewhat rare creatures.
Some professional military men prepare all their lives for war, it's their biggie, what it's all about and imagine with no war it's like a wasted life. War means promotions, popularity, pay raises, a chance to put all that training to use, to gain some notice look heroic. I feel somewhat sorry for the professional military and no war, sort of like a wasted life.

True, there are a few out there who go over the edge. But then again the vast majority of military personnel do pray that they never have to see combat. never have to take the life of another. But yes we prepared for it constantly. In 22 years I never knew anyone who wanted to pull the trigger.

Promotions? not really, I know an E4 who did 2 tours in Afghanistan. I made rank faster than that outside a combat zone. Rank is not given unless there is an open slot for it...

At any rate, it remains true that those who go out and do the fight are the ones who most want the diplomacy to work. And the diplomacy we are seeing right now is Putin kicking Obamas ass at stopping what would have been a very stupid move into Syria....

All three of the writers above are correct to some extent. Blend the better parts, and one has a pretty good idea about what our "warriors" do and for what they should be ready.

And for the moment: our diplomats have done very well in making Syria and Russia back up on chemical weapons.

newsflash- they have not accomplished one concrete thing.....

Lt. Callie ring a bell?

right, so out of the over 500K men we had in country that year, you wanna pick on one, hell, I'll give you a dozen, and your point is what again? and its Calley.....

Lt. Callie ring a bell?

Callie is an aberration. Soldiers who show signs of abnormal desire for killing are subject to an evaluation and perhaps rehabilitation then if unresponsive discharge. For example:

"1-16. Counseling and rehabilitative requirements

a. General. Army leaders at all levels must be continually aware of their obligation to provide purpose, direction, and motivation to Soldiers. It is essential that Soldiers who falter, but have the potential to serve honorably and well, be given every opportunity to succeed. Effective leadership is particularly important in the case of Soldiers serving their initial enlistments. Except as otherwise indicated in this regulation, commanders must make maximum use of counseling and rehabilitation before determining that a Soldier has no potential for further useful service and, therefore, should be separated. In this regard, commanders will ensure that adequate counseling and rehabilitative measures are taken before initiating separation proceedings for the following reasons:

(2) Personality disorder. (See para 5-13.)

(3) Other designated physical or mental conditions. (See para 5-17)"

Active Duty Enlisted Administrative Separations

While not fool proof there are provisions which commanders must take into consideration.

Our military isn't used to protect the American people anymore; they're rented out as mercenaries for third world dictators and sheikhs and that will continue until we cut back our military budget. Our soldiers should be here guarding our own borders, not everyone else's. I'm amazed anyone even signs up anymore considering how abused they are by our own government.

Lt. Callie ring a bell?

Callie is an aberration. Soldiers who show signs of abnormal desire for killing are subject to an evaluation and perhaps rehabilitation then if unresponsive discharge. For example:

a. General. Army leaders at all levels must be continually aware of their obligation to provide purpose, direction, and motivation to Soldiers. It is essential that Soldiers who falter, but have the potential to serve honorably and well, be given every opportunity to succeed. Effective leadership is particularly important in the case of Soldiers serving their initial enlistments. Except as otherwise indicated in this regulation, commanders must make maximum use of counseling and rehabilitation before determining that a Soldier has no potential for further useful service and, therefore, should be separated. In this regard, commanders will ensure that adequate counseling and rehabilitative measures are taken before initiating separation proceedings for the following reasons:

While not fool proof there are provisions which commanders must take into consideration.

Good old AR 635-200. I was a battery clerk in the army and I did the paper work for a many discharges under AR 635=208.

I realize I may sound disrespectful but that is not my intention.

The military, nowdays is put on a pedestal, mainly because of neocon propaganda. Most people nowdays are afraid to criticize the military.

Only now after many years are more female soldiers reporting rapes which they were afraid to do in the past because of retaliation from superior officers.

My whole feeling ion this subject is that this country is getting to be like the roman empire before it's fall.

There is nothing in the constitution about the US being the world's policeman.
I even think we should get rid of the all volunteer forces and bring back the draft before we become a banana republic.

Our military isn't used to protect the American people anymore; they're rented out as mercenaries for third world dictators and sheikhs and that will continue until we cut back our military budget. Our soldiers should be here guarding our own borders, not everyone else's. I'm amazed anyone even signs up anymore considering how abused they are by our own government.
I agree. The constitution says that the army should only be used to quell public insurrections and to repel foreign invasions.

George Washington talked about "foreign" intrigue in his Farewell Address.

Lt. Callie ring a bell?

You were in for 3 years during 'Nam. Where did you serve?

With that short of an experience with military personnel you are qualified to judge all of us? And, what do you know of the military/civilian interchanges throughout American history? Who was a very reluctant soldier who only went to war because he saw no other course of action?

:eusa_whistle:

Lt. Callie ring a bell?

One example?

:eusa_clap:

Bravo. Your Logic is, as usual, completely ludicrous

There is a much better point: Very, VERY few members of our armed forces will EVER be in a position to kill anyone, regardless of how much they would like to or not.

Most are engaged in planning, logistic, and support functions that are at best tangienial to any actual death of the enemy.

Lt. Callie ring a bell?

Good old AR 635-200. I was a battery clerk in the army and I did the paper work for a many discharges under AR 635=208.

The military, nowdays is put on a pedestal, mainly because of neocon propaganda. Most people nowdays are afraid to criticize the military.

Only now after many years are more female soldiers reporting rapes which they were afraid to do in the past because of retaliation from superior officers.

My whole feeling ion this subject is that this country is getting to be like the roman empire before it's fall.

I even think we should get rid of the all volunteer forces and bring back the draft before we become a banana republic.

The Military doesn't need propaganda. Forty years ago the radical left was spitting on and assaulting Soldiers in uniform. Now it seems that political expediency or guilt has caused the left to pretend that they support the Military as long as a radical leftie is in the White House.

Lt. Callie ring a bell?

"Neocon propaganda" is not the main cause for the the military's status today. The military was on a pedestal during and after WWII and enjoyed that until Vietnam. The current outflow of sentiment toward the military started after 9/11; people want and need to be protected, that is what the military represents. People celebrate and exalt their protectors, the public values their military.

'
kissinger-mk-military.jpg

What a country calls its "vital economic interests" are not the things which enable its citizens to live, but the things which enable it to make war.
---Simone Weil

Forum List

Back