The End of Identity Liberalism

An anti-free trade Democrat would have easily beaten Trump even if that Democrat was every bit as much into 'identity politics' as is claimed Hillary is.

Bernie wasn't "anti-trade"? Once again you prove you're a nose-picking weasel....Trump is no more "anti-trade" than any free market advocate, the difference being he wants to balance the ledgers instead of living with the sell-outs of our trade reps who jumped to the other side of the table.

An anti-free trade Democrat would have easily beaten Trump even if that Democrat was every bit as much into 'identity politics' as is claimed Hillary is.

Bernie wasn't "anti-trade"? Once again you prove you're a nose-picking weasel....Trump is no more "anti-trade" than any free market advocate, the difference being he wants to balance the ledgers instead of living with the sell-outs of our trade reps who jumped to the other side of the table.

Bernie wasn't on the ticket dumbass. I said anti-free trade, not anti-trade, Captain Illiterate.

Cultural agenda?

Christian conservatism. that's not a cultural agenda?

Christian conservatism has mostly moved on from the "Do what we say to do" annoyance of the 80's/90's era moral majority to more of a "just leave us the hell alone" pleading we see now.

Remember, even the ones that really want to overturn Roe are realistic enough to know that a lot of States would set up their own protections for abortion on demand.

The pendulum has swung to the left being the side that wants to make everyone either think and act like they do, or be to afraid to be public about thinking or acting differently.

Christian conservatives, and how Republicans support them, or pander to them, is pure Identity Politics.

Cultural agenda?

Christian conservatism has mostly moved on from the "Do what we say to do" annoyance of the 80's/90's era moral majority to more of a "just leave us the hell alone" pleading we see now.

Remember, even the ones that really want to overturn Roe are realistic enough to know that a lot of States would set up their own protections for abortion on demand.

The pendulum has swung to the left being the side that wants to make everyone either think and act like they do, or be to afraid to be public about thinking or acting differently.

Christian conservatives, and how Republicans support them, or pander to them, is pure Identity Politics.

Not even close. Anyone can become a Christian Conservative if they so choose. Except for very weird cases, the identity in identity politics are set in stone, one doesn't join them, one already belongs to them. The use of them to balkanize and "race to the top of the pity platform" is the real issue. not the identity themselves.

To put it another way, I don't care if someone identifies as a queer immigrant person of color, have at it. The issue is when said person claims some benefit they have not earned or deserved. So go ahead and claim your identity, just don't think I lose all ability to critique your views because of it and my identity not being "pure" enough on the pity ladder.

Cultural agenda?

How can you "pander" to your base? I would expect a Christian conservative to support what he was elected for.

Cultural agenda?

Not even close. Anyone can become a Christian Conservative if they so choose. Except for very weird cases, the identity in identity politics are set in stone, one doesn't join them, one already belongs to them. The use of them to balkanize and "race to the top of the pity platform" is the real issue. not the identity themselves.

To put it another way, I don't care if someone identifies as a queer immigrant person of color, have at it. The issue is when said person claims some benefit they have not earned or deserved. So go ahead and claim your identity, just don't think I lose all ability to critique your views because of it and my identity not being "pure" enough on the pity ladder.

The Christian conservatives have been claiming the right to ignore the Constitution for decades.

You're the most inconsistent person on this board btw.

Rantings from a left loon are not counter-arguments...they are rantings from a left loon.

You want to talk “identity politics?” Look no further than the fragile platform upon which many Republicans stand — clothing emblazoned with the American flag, red ball caps, bedazzled semi-automatic rifles, violently defended heterosexuality and Christianity.

Pulease, that's just mindless rambling and left loon talking points

Rantings from a left loon are not counter-arguments...they are rantings from a left loon.

You want to talk “identity politics?” Look no further than the fragile platform upon which many Republicans stand — clothing emblazoned with the American flag, red ball caps, bedazzled semi-automatic rifles, violently defended heterosexuality and Christianity.

The deflection on this thread has been pretty intense. And transparent.

Cultural agenda?

The Christian conservatives have been claiming the right to ignore the Constitution for decades.

How so? Can you be specific, or is it another one of your general talking points that are all hat, no cattle?

and I am actually very consistent, you just don't understand the rules I follow.

The deflection on this thread has been pretty intense. And transparent.

Well it's Dumb Deer...you can't expect much more from that loon

That's quite the analysis, a crazy women pontificating on what is or isn't loony.

Cultural agenda?

How so? Can you be specific, or is it another one of your general talking points that are all hat, no cattle?

and I am actually very consistent, you just don't understand the rules I follow.

Conservative Christians are a group with a specific identity, and the GOP depends on them politically and panders to them accordingly.

That is NO different that what the Democrats are being accused of.

“I definitely had to come terms with the fact that there was this other half of America I had hardly seen.”

The left almost entirely ignores the states. That is their greatest weakness IMHO.

The coastal elites have been completely out of touch with the rest of America for decades. Some are oblivious of anything outside their insulated bubble.

I traveled the world since the late 70's and lived overseas several times. After I left the Air Force, I flew corporate bizjets for these elites and top business people for 15 years before retiring. They spoke freely in my presence as you would around a limo driver, waiter, maid or piece of furniture. We were just background material.

Outside the business passengers, many of my passengers were from NYC or The Hamptons traveling to their summer or winter homes as the seasons suited them. Dynastic wealth types--3rd or 4th generation money. From what I heard in those 15 years, their vision of people outside Manhattan or The Hamptons was a TV image of The Beverly Hillbillies or Green Acres.

When they traveled to Aspen, West Palm Beach or to their island retreats, they remained insulated among their own.

I would be dumbstruck if any of these types enter into any kind of introspection. Their smug, sneering contempt of flyover country is just too embedded. And certainly, no one who works for them would dare offer a peep of different insight. You'd have more success trying to teach a cat how to write with a pencil.

images_aviation_first-class-flights-luxury-charter-broker-jetlux-sports-entertainment-and-business-elite-new-heights-c.jpg

Conservative Christians are a group with a specific identity, and the GOP depends on them politically and panders to them accordingly.

That is NO different that what the Democrats are being accused of.

Claiming an identity and identity politics are two different things. I claim to be a Star Wars fan, but I don't use that to try to gain unearned or undeserved leverage over others when it comes to politics.

Identity politics is at its base the division of people into discrete groups, and the ranking of such groups in such a way as to create a moral pecking order, or more correctly, a pity party with some people more equal than others. In addition, the claim to superiority of each group has no basis on reality, and instead relies on who has the better oppression sob story. Key to all of this is the claim by the identity that wins the "race to the bottom" of positional superiority, and the denial of any claims of a contrary position, not based on logic or reasoning, but based on who they are, and more importantly who the opposition is.

“I definitely had to come terms with the fact that there was this other half of America I had hardly seen.”

The left almost entirely ignores the states. That is their greatest weakness IMHO.

The coastal elites have been completely out of touch with the rest of America for decades. Some are oblivious of anything outside their insulated bubble.

I traveled the world since the late 70's and lived overseas several times. After I left the Air Force, I flew corporate bizjets for these elites and top business people for 15 years before retiring. They spoke freely in my presence as you would around a limo driver, waiter, maid or piece of furniture. We were just background material.

Outside the business passengers, many of my passengers were from NYC or The Hamptons traveling to their summer or winter homes as the seasons suited them. Dynastic wealth types--3rd or 4th generation money. From what I heard in those 15 years, their vision of people outside Manhattan or The Hamptons was a TV image of The Beverly Hillbillies or Green Acres.

When they traveled to Aspen, West Palm Beach or to their island retreats, they remained insulated among their own.

I would be dumbstruck if any of these types enter into any kind of introspection. Their smug, sneering contempt of flyover country is just too embedded. And certainly, no one who works for them would dare offer a peep of different insight. You'd have more success trying to teach a cat how to write with a pencil.

images_aviation_first-class-flights-luxury-charter-broker-jetlux-sports-entertainment-and-business-elite-new-heights-c.jpg
I have to admit that I've consistently been one to talk about the echo chamber on the Right, while not fully seeing the bubble on the Left.

Again, though, it's nice to know that the pushback has been as large as it has. I really underestimated how many agreed with me.

I have to admit that I've consistently been one to talk about the echo chamber on the Right, while not fully seeing the bubble on the Left.

Again, though, it's nice to know that the pushback has been as large as it has. I really underestimated how many agreed with me.

Well you're not to blame for purposefully-sculpted "polling" data aimed at fooling the public into thinking the herd wanted the perversions on the left. The herd spoke. And hence why all government now is owned by the GOP.

Well you're not to blame for purposefully-sculpted "polling" data aimed at fooling the public into thinking the herd wanted the perversions on the left. The herd spoke. And hence why all government now is owned by the GOP.
Yeah, but holy crap, the polls were relatively close in 2012.

I think the honest lefty below nails it - the "underground" vote for Trump, those who didn't admit to pollsters they were voting for him, was much bigger than anyone realized.

15_zpsahqx1fvw.gif~original

Yeah, but holy crap, the polls were relatively close in 2012.

I think the honest lefty below nails it - the "underground" vote for Trump, those who didn't admit to pollsters they were voting for him, was much bigger than anyone realized.

15_zpsahqx1fvw.gif~original
I don't believe that bullshit 'underground' excuse that the pollsters are using to cover for the fact that they royally fucked up. I do not know anyone that voted for Trump but kept it a secrete from pollsters or anyone that was not a hard lefty willing to attack them for it. Most of the Trump supporters that I have met have been far more boisterous about it than the Hillary supporters out there.

What happened with the polls is that they simply fucked up. The people that they polled and the mathematical equations that they used were simply not indicative of the actual turnout.

Forum List

Back