The End of Identity Liberalism

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Ol' Mac, just a man ahead of his time....

From the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/o...2016-11&subid=NovMidMC&ad-keywords=AudDevGate

From the piece, my comments in bold:

We need a post-identity liberalism, and it should draw from the past successes of pre-identity liberalism.
"Pre-identity liberalism"? LOL, oh, you mean before the PC zealots took over the Democratic Party.

Such a liberalism would concentrate on widening its base by appealing to Americans as Americans and emphasizing the issues that affect a vast majority of them.

"Americans as Americans"? Oh, you mean like before the PC zealots divided us into little grievance groups and turned us all into hyphenated-Americans.

It would speak to the nation as a nation of citizens who are in this together and must help one another. As for narrower issues that are highly charged symbolically and can drive potential allies away, especially those touching on sexuality and religion, such a liberalism would work quietly, sensitively and with a proper sense of scale. (To paraphrase Bernie Sanders, America is sick and tired of hearing about liberals’ damn bathrooms.)
"Damn bathrooms"? Oh, you mean like before the PC zealots decided to shove their cultural agenda in our face and down our throats.

Maybe I underestimated some on the Left. Maybe some of them really ARE coming around to my way of thinking!

Oh, and Will ANY PC Police admit ANY responsibility for Trump?

:eusa_dance:

Last edited:
15_zpsahqx1fvw.gif~original

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn, same old partisanshithead divide and conquer, while society continues to swirl down the shitter.

You're dealing with the left....don't hold your breath on a loon learning anything unless their masters tell them so
Well when your party is extinct, you become inconsequential.

I saw an interesting quote from a democrat, he said the democrats are not even a national party now, they are a coastal party. I think it was Tim Ryan of Ohio

The global oil market has boomed and busted. And for a variety of other reasons I think it's rational to expect further degradation of international stability.

America can't be like a single life raft trying to save a Titanic of sinking nations. We have our own problems to contend with. This is a concern rooted in the national subconscious. It's like an intuitive survival mechanism.

This is why economic nationalism is gaining traction. In order to become a majority mandate within a melting pot country such as our own, it needs to be a pan-ethnic nationalism.

Pan-ethnic nationalism transcends identity politics and brings us back toward the melting pot ideal.

Ol' Mac, just a man ahead of the times....

From the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/o...2016-11&subid=NovMidMC&ad-keywords=AudDevGate

We need a post-identity liberalism, and it should draw from the past successes of pre-identity liberalism.
"Pre-identity liberalism"? LOL, oh, you mean before the PC zealots took over the Democratic Party.

Such a liberalism would concentrate on widening its base by appealing to Americans as Americans and emphasizing the issues that affect a vast majority of them.

Oh, you mean like before the PC zealots turned us all into hyphenated-Americans.

It would speak to the nation as a nation of citizens who are in this together and must help one another. As for narrower issues that are highly charged symbolically and can drive potential allies away, especially those touching on sexuality and religion, such a liberalism would work quietly, sensitively and with a proper sense of scale. (To paraphrase Bernie Sanders, America is sick and tired of hearing about liberals’ damn bathrooms.)
Oh, you mean like before the PC zealots decided to shove their cultural agenda in our face and down our throats.

Maybe I underestimated some on the Left. Maybe some of them really ARE coming around to my way of thinking!

No offense Mac, but unless people like you get control back of the Democratic party from people like Joe, identity politics is all the Democrats have as a wedge issue.

Consider YOU or I are running for President on this platform---------->

1. Raise taxes.

2. Put forth policies that will raise the price of energy.

3. Let men in American wives and daughters bathrooms in public spaces.

4. Allow anyone, and everyone roam into the country at will, and if poor, force the citizens to support them.

5. Give the largest state sponsor of terror in the world huge sums of money.

6. Make healthcare affordable, but the deductible is going to be 6000, to 10,000 a year before anything kicks in.

OK Mac, you tell me how either of us is going to win running on that platform, unless we get some Americans hating other Americans, then we champion them-) In other words---------->ignore how we want to govern, vote for us because you hate the other people so badly; after all.........those other people are racists, homophobes, anti-women, anti semites, etc, etc. Joe and his ilk have said that crap so often, they actually believe their own lies, lol.

No offense Mac, but unless people like you get control back of the Democratic party from people like Joe, identity politics is all the Democrats have as a wedge issue.

There are other good dem issues:

1. Universal Healthcare

2. Green Energy/ Less polluting industry.

3. Fair Wages.

4. Children's issues, education, technical training, higher education funding.

Ol' Mac, just a man ahead of the times....

Oh, you mean like before the PC zealots turned us all into hyphenated-Americans.

Oh, you mean like before the PC zealots decided to shove their cultural agenda in our face and down our throats.

Consider YOU or I are running for President on this platform---------->

1. Raise taxes.

2. Put forth policies that will raise the price of energy.

3. Let men in American wives and daughters bathrooms in public spaces.

4. Allow anyone, and everyone roam into the country at will, and if poor, force the citizens to support them.

5. Give the largest state sponsor of terror in the world huge sums of money.

6. Make healthcare affordable, but the deductible is going to be 6000, to 10,000 a year before anything kicks in.

OK Mac, you tell me how either of us is going to win running on that platform, unless we get some Americans hating other Americans, then we champion them-) In other words---------->ignore how we want to govern, vote for us because you hate the other people so badly; after all.........those other people are racists, homophobes, anti-women, anti semites, etc, etc. Joe and his ilk have said that crap so often, they actually believe their own lies, lol.
Well, first of all, I'm really just an independent. I don't want any part of either party.

And I wouldn't run on that platform either. But let's take a couple of them, and I've posted about all of these issues many times:

Taxes: I'd add four new marginal rates on top of where they are now and establish a METR (Minimum Effective Tax Rate) for all margins. BUT, instead of attacking higher income earners as people who didn't earn that and people who didn't build that, I'd point out why it needs to be done and how it would work. I would NOT divide people by attacking the wealthy.

Energy: I'd admit that we are simply not there yet on renewable energy, but that it's in our best interest in the long run to move in that direction. So, while we drill and frack, we do everything we can to inspire free market answers towards renewable energy. How about a Kennedy-esque challenge of total renewable energy by 2025?

Healthcare:
Expand the current Medicare/Medicare Advantage/Medicare Supplement system, already in place, already working, to all. An excellent blend of public and private funding, free market competition and innovation, taking us from SEVEN (7) different health care delivery/payment systems to two, and takes a MASSIVE cost monkey off the backs of American business.

NONE of those approaches divides or attacks people. ALL of them try to leverage the best ideas of both sides. That would be my approach.

This current party is built on division. No thanks.

Last edited:
An anti-free trade Democrat would have easily beaten Trump even if that Democrat was every bit as much into 'identity politics' as is claimed Hillary is.

Forum List

Back