The EGO battery operated lawn mower.

Good to hear

I was looking to buy one next week
I wasn’t looking at the 56 volt I didn’t think I needed the extra time. I have a 1/4 acre

Last edited:
Forced by libs in blue states

Most of the trimmers and blowers for home use sold now are Electric
Now, push mowers are starting to take the market

They even have electric riding mowers now
1680980227446.png

Not at all. After mowing my 1/3 acre it still has about 40% power left according to the gauge on the charger.
It could do 1/2 acre for sure.
I doubt it could do a whole acre unless it was all flat.
How much do the batteries cost? What is the typical life expectancy of the battery? Will that configuration of battery be available when your current battery gives up the ghost? These are all issues that I've confronted in years past.

How much do the batteries cost? What is the typical life expectancy of the battery? Will that configuration of battery be available when your current battery gives up the ghost? These are all issues that I've confronted in years past.
There are users who have reported theirs is still going without any noticeable decline since 2017 when they first came out. So that is going on 6 years. Advertised life expectancy is 10 years.
A new battery cost $128 currently.

I'll probably buy an EV leaf blower this year, the two cycle engines just are terrible the way they pollute, plus I love the idea of using something that everyone in my neighborhood won't hear running, like my Stihl. As far as a mower, my yard is small, and I've been. running the same zombie push mower for over 20 years (no matter how much I abuse it, I have never changed the oil, and it always starts first pull.) Tecumseh engine.

Good to hear

I was looking to buy one next week
I wasn’t looking at the 56 volt I didn’t think I needed the extra time. I have a 1/4 acre
There is also a torque difference.
I did a lot of research. 56v will blow through thick/tall grass like it isn't there.

When I bought my blower, I was careful to compare air speed and volumes to the gas blower I owned. They were very similar. Again research is important.

I have to replace carburetors every two years because of use and the federally mandated ethanol in fuel for my mower. That's with using carb cleaner often.

I much prefer corded electrics. You can get them online, since stores are peddling the grossly over-priced battery scams. Using 100 ft. extension cords are a hassle, but less of a hassle than fighting with two cycle engines and all the hasssles of fighting with those and getting them to start. I used to have a 6.5 Hp commerical push mower. Liked it a lot but those wear out pretty fast and again you have the hassles of getting them started. Electrics start right up after sitting all winter, last years, and are easy to fix. Changing out motors is a piece of cake. I mow the acre around the house with a push mower. I use a tractor and drag line for the other acres. I've even mowed with a weed eater, usually the first mow of the year.

The scam is to get you to buy high dollar batteries, then a few year down the line change all the batteries to different designs and have you buy all new stuff. It's a racket, and doesn't do squat for 'The Environment'. Don't beleive me then find a few pics of all thise coal fired factories in Red China where they make your stuff. The plastics and batteries are dirty industries. then the pollution from shipping it all to the U.S., which actually increases pollution.

I much prefer corded electrics. You can get them online, since stores are peddling the grossly over-priced battery scams. Using 100 ft. extension cords are a hassle, but less of a hassle than fighting with two cycle engines and all the hasssles of fighting with those and getting them to start. I used to have a 6.5 Hp commerical push mower. Liked it a lot but those wear out pretty fast and again you have the hassles of getting them started. Electrics start right up after sitting all winter, last years, and are easy to fix. Changing out motors is a piece of cake. I mow the acre around the house with a push mower. I use a tractor and drag line for the other acres. I've even mowed with a weed eater, usually the first mow of the year.
Not anymore.
Battery technology today is easily 5 times better than just 5 years ago.
I have 1/3 acre and I can mow the whole lawn on one charge. And charging the battery takes like 20-30 minutes or so. I will never-ever buy another 2 stroke engine in my life. The battery powered weed eater is awesome. It powers through even tall weeds perfectly fine and I can usually weed-eat twice without having to recharge... as well as use the same battery to blow clippings of the sidewalk with my battery powered blower.

The scam is to get you to buy high dollar batteries, then a few year down the line change all the batteries to different designs and have you buy all new stuff. It's a racket, and doesn't do squat for 'The Environment'. Don't beleive me then find a few pics of all thise coal fired factories in Red China where they make your stuff. The plastics and batteries are dirty industries. then the pollution from shipping it all to the U.S., which actually increases pollution.
No
The battery powered weed eater I have, I have had for 4 years now and it operates exactly as it did the day I bought it.

Can you still get a replacement battery for it? What does one cost?
Of course. $100
But the life expectancy is approximately 2000 charges/discharges.
I need to charge it every other use, so twice a month during mowing season which here is typically from April-October. So that would be 12 charges a year. Or 166 years. So obviously the weed eater itself will go before the battery

We got an EGO weed wacker about a month ago and I LOVE IT!
Quieter and easier to handle/use than the gasoline powered one I've been using. Also easier to start.;)

Blasphemy!

Y'all go on ahead with that electric bullshit, I'm stickin' with my John Deere and Echo weed whacker.
They are miles from what battery weedeaters use to be.
Gas weedeaters are a pain in the ass, loud/smoky/hard to start. Today's battery - quiet/zero smoke/just push the button instant spinning every time.
Lithium batteries, when used in proper markets, is a good thing. They are awesome.
But using them in automobiles is environmentally disastrous, non renewable and impossible to scale.
Same goes for battery push mower. Frigging awesome. Whisper quiet, instant start, no gas, no oil and will blow through tall grass/weeds like they aren't even there.

They are miles from what battery weedeaters use to be.
Gas weedeaters are a pain in the ass, loud/smoky/hard to start. Today's battery - quiet/zero smoke/just push the button instant spinning every time.
Lithium batteries, when used in proper markets, is a good thing. They are awesome.
But using them in automobiles is environmentally disastrous, non renewable and impossible to scale.
Same goes for battery push mower. Frigging awesome. Whisper quiet, instant start, no gas, no oil and will blow through tall grass/weeds like they aren't even there.
I have no problem starting my weed whacker, and it probably has twice the balls of any electric one.

Hell, the 1st weed whackers were electric.

Forum List

Back