The difference between Muslims and Christains

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I got to know the poet Allen Ginsberg towards the end of his life. Not very well, just a nodding acquaintance, but after he died I attended a memorial in his honor at the City University Graduate School. At that service, his personal assistant related a story about Ginsberg’s reaction to the death sentence pronounced on the novelist Salman Rushdie by Ayatollah Khomeini in 1989. Rushdie’s “crime,” you’ll recall, was writing a provocative, perhaps even blasphemous novel inspired by the life of Muhammad called The Satanic Verses.
Though I might be screwing up a few details, the gist of the story was as follows: Soon after news of the fatwa broke, Ginsberg and his assistant climbed into the back seat of a taxi in Manhattan. After a glance at the cab driver’s name, Ginsberg politely inquired if he was a Muslim. When the cabbie replied that he was, Ginsberg asked him what he thought about the death sentence on Rushdie. The cabbie answered that he thought that Rushdie’s book was disrespectful of Islam, and that the Ayatollah had every right to do what he had done. At this point, according to his assistant, Ginsberg, one of the gentlest men ever to walk the planet, flew into a rage, screaming at the cabbie as he continued to drive, “Then I shit on your religion! Do you hear me? I shit on Islam! I shit on Muhammad! Do you hear? I shit on Muhammad!” Ginsberg demanded that the cabbie pull over. The cabbie complied, and, without paying the fare, Ginsberg and his assistant climbed out. He was still screaming at the cabbie as the car drove off.
I’ve had a couple of weeks now to think about Ginsberg cursing out that cabbie, and cursing out Islam and Muhammad. You see, I live in Manhattan, three blocks from Times Square. As near as I can determine, I was walking with a friend about thirty feet from the car bomb on May 1st right around the time it was supposed to detonate. Except for the technical incompetence of a Muslim dirtbag named Faisal Shahzad, I and my friend would likely be dead now. Note the phrase: “Muslim dirtbag.” Neither term by itself accounts for the terrorist act he attempted to perpetrate; both terms, however, are equally complicit in it. It might have been a crapshoot of nature and nurture that wrought a specimen like Shahzad, but it was Islam that inspired him, that gave his fecal stain of a life its depth and its justification. Why is that so difficult to admit?

The Poet Versus the Prophet - Reason Magazine

Christians don't think people deserve to die for criticizing their religion, nor do they support those who think stupidity like that. We are also unafraid to speak up and condemn those who twist our religion to justify murder and terror.

I got to know the poet Allen Ginsberg towards the end of his life. Not very well, just a nodding acquaintance, but after he died I attended a memorial in his honor at the City University Graduate School. At that service, his personal assistant related a story about Ginsberg’s reaction to the death sentence pronounced on the novelist Salman Rushdie by Ayatollah Khomeini in 1989. Rushdie’s “crime,” you’ll recall, was writing a provocative, perhaps even blasphemous novel inspired by the life of Muhammad called The Satanic Verses.
Though I might be screwing up a few details, the gist of the story was as follows: Soon after news of the fatwa broke, Ginsberg and his assistant climbed into the back seat of a taxi in Manhattan. After a glance at the cab driver’s name, Ginsberg politely inquired if he was a Muslim. When the cabbie replied that he was, Ginsberg asked him what he thought about the death sentence on Rushdie. The cabbie answered that he thought that Rushdie’s book was disrespectful of Islam, and that the Ayatollah had every right to do what he had done. At this point, according to his assistant, Ginsberg, one of the gentlest men ever to walk the planet, flew into a rage, screaming at the cabbie as he continued to drive, “Then I shit on your religion! Do you hear me? I shit on Islam! I shit on Muhammad! Do you hear? I shit on Muhammad!” Ginsberg demanded that the cabbie pull over. The cabbie complied, and, without paying the fare, Ginsberg and his assistant climbed out. He was still screaming at the cabbie as the car drove off.
I’ve had a couple of weeks now to think about Ginsberg cursing out that cabbie, and cursing out Islam and Muhammad. You see, I live in Manhattan, three blocks from Times Square. As near as I can determine, I was walking with a friend about thirty feet from the car bomb on May 1st right around the time it was supposed to detonate. Except for the technical incompetence of a Muslim dirtbag named Faisal Shahzad, I and my friend would likely be dead now. Note the phrase: “Muslim dirtbag.” Neither term by itself accounts for the terrorist act he attempted to perpetrate; both terms, however, are equally complicit in it. It might have been a crapshoot of nature and nurture that wrought a specimen like Shahzad, but it was Islam that inspired him, that gave his fecal stain of a life its depth and its justification. Why is that so difficult to admit?

Christians don't think people deserve to die for criticizing their religion, nor do they support those who think stupidity like that. We are also unafraid to speak up and condemn those who twist our religion to justify murder and terror.

Hmm What was all that "kill em all and let god sort em out" rhetoric I heard during the early days of the Iraq war all about then?

Muslims try to live their lives based on rules dictated by their religion.

Christians try to live their lives in a way that honors the One who set them free from rules.

Hmm What was all that "kill em all and let god sort em out" rhetoric I heard during the early days of the Iraq war all about then?
thyats usually said by people that ARE NOT Christians

I swear I heard it from several who stopped by the country store right after church.
Of course it seems to me that most who go to church are not real christians, but claim to be.

Real Christians are good people who try to be good considerate people.

Its from special forces.... they've been saying that long before we started killing mooslims

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset", or "Kill them all. God will know His own.".

Last edited:
Muslims try to live their lives based on rules dictated by their religion..

beheadings, stonings, suicide bombing, etc?

Not necessarily. I think most Muslims don't condone or support such things.

But all Muslims support rules dictating when and how one must pray, how one must dress, what one can and cannot eat and drink, when and how one must do worship, who they can marry, how they are to rear their children, etc. etc. etc. The Muslim earns his/her way into heaven by following the rules.

Christians have no such rules. The only rule Christians are mandated to live by is to love the Lord with all their heart and soul and mind and to love their neighbor. As Jesus said, "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Jesus plays soccer... what does Mohamed do besides teach bomb making classes?
jesussaves0vf.gif

Muslims try to live their lives based on rules dictated by their religion..

But all Muslims support rules dictating when and how one must pray, how one must dress, what one can and cannot eat and drink, when and how one must do worship, who they can marry, how they are to rear their children, etc. etc. etc. The Muslim earns his/her way into heaven by following the rules.

Christians have no such rules. The only rule Christians are mandated to live by is to love the Lord with all their heart and soul and mind and to love their neighbor. As Jesus said, "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Wrong, Jesus stated 4 rules we must still obey. I provided the one of the passages where he commanded it in my thread in religion.

Acts 15: 28, 29 and Acts 21: 25.

Christians have no such rules. The only rule Christians are mandated to live by is to love the Lord with all their heart and soul and mind and to love ourselves and our neighbor. As Jesus said, "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Wrong, Jesus stated 4 rules we must still obey. I provided the one of the passages where he commanded it in my thread in religion.

But you see, I don't necessarily agree wtih your interpretation of those passages. I am of the school that you take the whole of the writings and the whole of the context to come up with whatever message the ancient scriptures have for us today. In my faith, Jesus paid the price and I don't have to, in fact am unable to do anything to deserve that. His sacrifice fulfilled all the requirements of the Law. All we have to do is accept that gift. Plucking this verse or that verse out of context and holding it up as a mandatory rule suggests that Jesus's death and resurrection wasn't sufficient and we are still required to earn our salvation by keeping the Law.

Christians have no such rules. The only rule Christians are mandated to live by is to love the Lord with all their heart and soul and mind and to love ourselves and our neighbor. As Jesus said, "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

But you see, I don't necessarily agree wtih your interpretation of those passages. I am of the school that you take the whole of the writings and the whole of the context to come up with whatever message the ancient scriptures have for us today. In my faith, Jesus paid the price and I don't have to, in fact am unable to do anything to deserve that. His sacrifice fulfilled all the requirements of the Law. All we have to do is accept that gift. Plucking this verse or that verse out of context and holding it up as a mandatory rule suggests that Jesus's death and resurrection wasn't sufficient and we are still required to earn our salvation by keeping the Law.

What is to interpret? He said one must follow those 4 commandments. There is no ambiguity to the passages.

People that chose to ignore the bible amaze me when they then defend that choice by claiming they just don't have to.

What is to interpret? He said one must follow those 4 commandments. There is no ambiguity to the passages.

People that chose to ignore the bible amaze me when they then defend that choice by claiming they just don't have to.

In my opinion, it doesn't take too much looking for find verses who contradict your interpretation of those 'four commandments'. That's the whole problem with such proof texting. You can pretty much prove or disprove anything you want by taking it out of the whole context.

My belief is based on other teachings of Peter and Paul and others elsewhere in the New Testament, where they explained that such scriptures were not a matter of 'law' but a matter of expediency. They were not to offend their hosts, be they Jew or Pagan, when they were doing ministry. They were not required to follow the law but neither should they encourage sin by those who believed they were required to follow the law.

No biggie though. If you are convinced you have to obey those four commandments, I am not going to tell you that your belief is wrong for you.

Forum List

Back