The difference between Muslims and Christains

But you see, I don't necessarily agree wtih your interpretation of those passages. I am of the school that you take the whole of the writings and the whole of the context to come up with whatever message the ancient scriptures have for us today. In my faith, Jesus paid the price and I don't have to, in fact am unable to do anything to deserve that. His sacrifice fulfilled all the requirements of the Law. All we have to do is accept that gift. Plucking this verse or that verse out of context and holding it up as a mandatory rule suggests that Jesus's death and resurrection wasn't sufficient and we are still required to earn our salvation by keeping the Law.

What is to interpret? He said one must follow those 4 commandments. There is no ambiguity to the passages.

People that chose to ignore the bible amaze me when they then defend that choice by claiming they just don't have to.

In my opinion, it doesn't take too much looking for find verses who contradict your interpretation of those 'four commandments'. That's the whole problem with such proof texting. You can pretty much prove or disprove anything you want by taking it out of the whole context.

My belief is based on other teachings of Peter and Paul and others elsewhere in the New Testament, where they explained that such scriptures were not a matter of 'law' but a matter of expediency. They were not to offend their hosts, be they Jew or Pagan, when they were doing ministry. They were not required to follow the law but neither should they encourage sin by those who believed they were required to follow the law.

No biggie though. If you are convinced you have to obey those four commandments, I am not going to tell you that your belief is wrong for you.

Ok, FIND some passages by Jesus that contradict his DIRECT commandment to follow those 4. You made the claim, back it up.

This is the problem, next you will be telling us that baptism is optional and that believing Jesus is the son of God is just a suggestion.

What is to interpret? He said one must follow those 4 commandments. There is no ambiguity to the passages.

People that chose to ignore the bible amaze me when they then defend that choice by claiming they just don't have to.

In my opinion, it doesn't take too much looking for find verses who contradict your interpretation of those 'four commandments'. That's the whole problem with such proof texting. You can pretty much prove or disprove anything you want by taking it out of the whole context.

My belief is based on other teachings of Peter and Paul and others elsewhere in the New Testament, where they explained that such scriptures were not a matter of 'law' but a matter of expediency. They were not to offend their hosts, be they Jew or Pagan, when they were doing ministry. They were not required to follow the law but neither should they encourage sin by those who believed they were required to follow the law.

No biggie though. If you are convinced you have to obey those four commandments, I am not going to tell you that your belief is wrong for you.

Ok, FIND some passages by Jesus that contradict his DIRECT commandment to follow those 4. You made the claim, back it up.

This is the problem, next you will be telling us that baptism is optional and that believing Jesus is the son of God is just a suggestion.

RGS, my first personal rule is that I don't fight with anybody over religion, but I am happy to share my faith and a rationale for my beliefs and discuss Bible, religion, theology, or my faith with anyone who wishes to do so. I don't believe that Jesus is the Son of God or that Jesus is God because the Bible tells me I have to believe that. I believe it because of the personal relationship I have with Jesus the Christ.

In my understanding, Jesus would not have died on the Cross to pay the cost for our failures to keep the Law, to free us from the dictates of the Law, only to institute new Law. There are numerous passages in the Bible, most especially in Paul's letters, warning us against those who would presume to do so.

Last edited:
In the approximately 1,300 years of history since the life of the Prophet, the relationship between Christianity and Islam has rarely been harmonious. As it spread, the Muslim Empire quickly conquered much of the Judeo-Christian Holy Land and the Christian Byzantine Empire. The Christian Crusades of the 11th through 13th centuries, waged in large part against Muslims, served only to widen the divide between the two faiths. Constantinople, the "New Rome" and the center of Eastern Orthodox Christianity, fell to the Turks in 1453 and has lived under Islamic rule ever since.

In recent centuries, mutual distrust between Christians and Muslims has continued to grow. On the other hand, some have pointed out that the conflict has more to do with political tensions and divergent cultural worldviews than with religion, and efforts have been made by both Christians and Muslims to find common ground and engage in respectful dialogue."
Comparison Chart: Christianity vs. Islam - ReligionFacts

Let's see some respectful dialogue between Muslims and Christians. How I think they're similar is they both seek dominance over the world.

Last edited:
Muslims try to live their lives based on rules dictated by their religion.

Christians try to live their lives in a way that honors the One who set them free from rules.

free from rules............

except for the rule against homosexuality

and the rule against sex before marriage

and the rule against divorce

and the rules against all other religions

and the rule that you MUST mindlessly believe in jesus and god OR ELSE

beheadings, stonings, suicide bombing, etc?

Not necessarily. I think most Muslims don't condone or support such things.

But all Muslims support rules dictating when and how one must pray, how one must dress, what one can and cannot eat and drink, when and how one must do worship, who they can marry, how they are to rear their children, etc. etc. etc. The Muslim earns his/her way into heaven by following the rules.

Christians have no such rules. The only rule Christians are mandated to live by is to love the Lord with all their heart and soul and mind and to love their neighbor. As Jesus said, "On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Wrong, Jesus stated 4 rules we must still obey. I provided the one of the passages where he commanded it in my thread in religion.

Acts 15: 28, 29 and Acts 21: 25.

Actually Gunny, I think Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong about a few things, even if they are probably correct in suggesting we abstain from blood. Raising it to the level of a command is not a good idea because the decision truly needs to be one each person makes for himself, and we do not give them that latitude. Jehovah's commands are the guidance of love, not dogma.

Acts 10 makes it pretty clear that Jehovah makes the rules about clean and unclean, and that even those who break all the rules are eligible for membership in the fellowship of believers.

Like I said, it is not about dogma, it is about personal choice.

In the approximately 1,300 years of history since the life of the Prophet, the relationship between Christianity and Islam has rarely been harmonious. As it spread, the Muslim Empire quickly conquered much of the Judeo-Christian Holy Land and the Christian Byzantine Empire. The Christian Crusades of the 11th through 13th centuries, waged in large part against Muslims, served only to widen the divide between the two faiths. Constantinople, the "New Rome" and the center of Eastern Orthodox Christianity, fell to the Turks in 1453 and has lived under Islamic rule ever since.

In recent centuries, mutual distrust between Christians and Muslims has continued to grow. On the other hand, some have pointed out that the conflict has more to do with political tensions and divergent cultural worldviews than with religion, and efforts have been made by both Christians and Muslims to find common ground and engage in respectful dialogue."
Comparison Chart: Christianity vs. Islam - ReligionFacts

Let's see some respectful dialogue between Muslims and Christians. How I think they're similar is they both seek dominance over the world.

There is already a thread about the differences between the religions if you want to debate them, this is about the differences between the believers, not the religions.

Christians try to live their lives in a way that honors the One who set them free from rules.

That's funny. I don't recall any of those 'rules'.

There is much discussion in the New Testament about what is edifying and what isn't and I have draw personal conclusions from that. One conclusion is that the definition of sin is that which harms ourselves or others, now or ever.

Another is that we will never merit heaven or eternal life with God just by following rules. Our salvation is God's free gift and there are no strings attached.

And finally, though there is much that is lawful for us, not everything that is lawful is edifying (helpful).

Jesus and Paul were both really big on common sense over any presumed doctrine. I think that's a pretty good 'rule' to go by.

RGS, my first personal rule is that I don't fight with anybody over religion, but I am happy to share my faith and a rationale for my beliefs and discuss Bible, religion, theology, or my faith with anyone who wishes to do so. I don't believe that Jesus is the Son of God or that Jesus is God because the Bible tells me I have to believe that. I believe it because of the personal relationship I have with Jesus the Christ.

In my understanding, Jesus would not have died on the Cross to pay the cost for our failures to keep the Law, to free us from the dictates of the Law, only to institute new Law. There are numerous passages in the Bible, most especially in Paul's letters, warning us against those who would presume to do so.

Did you BOTHER to read the passages I provided? Jesus says he does not wish to burden us with lots of laws but these 4 are needed. He says it twice in Acts. You may chose to pretend he did not say it but you would be wrong. Thanks for proving you just randomly pick and chose what you believe.

Ever here the one about how there are two roads, one wide and spacious the other narrow and cramped? I suppose that is just a suggestion too right?

Did you BOTHER to read the passages I provided? Jesus says he does not wish to burden us with lots of laws but these 4 are needed. He says it twice in Acts. You may chose to pretend he did not say it but you would be wrong. Thanks for proving you just randomly pick and chose what you believe.

Ever here the one about how there are two roads, one wide and spacious the other narrow and cramped? I suppose that is just a suggestion too right?

Again RGS I won't fight with you about it. If you wish to judge me, that is your prerogative though if you'll check Matthew 7:1-5 you'll find that Jesus had some pretty harsh words to say about that too. And those words too have to be placed into their larger context to be fully understood.

Again I can't take one or two verses and hold those up as the complete and whole authority for anything. I think the Apostle Paul was a wise many when he cautioned us that now we look through a glass darkly but then, (when we are before God himself), we will see face to face. I think that was his way of saying to be careful to presume too much that you know as much as you think you know. (Generic 'you', not you specifically.)

What are the differences between Christians and Muslims? In Islam God is known by the name "Allah" and more than 99 other venerated names, such as "the Merciful," "the Gracious," "the All-Powerful.

Last edited:
What are the differences between Christians and Muslims? In Islam God is known by the name "Allah" and more than 99 other venerated names, such as "the Merciful," "the Gracious," "the All-Powerful.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzqwG-ZQDUE]YouTube - ‪01. Michael Card - El Shaddai‬‎[/ame]

islam-jesus-is-the-slave.jpg

you cant do that in Saudi Arabia

Wanna bet?

In Dubai, U.A.E, all of the international hotels have a bar, usually along the lines of your good NYC nightclub.

In Jiddah (that means "grandmother" in Arabic), there are 2 places to get booze.

Either go out to the American compound where the oil workers are at (many of them have beer and wine), or go over to the town square at the center of the place.

Look north and to the left, you'll see an elevator. Take it up to the 2nd floor and just follow the music, you'll walk down a hallway and boom......a bar with beer and alcohol.

Interestingly enough, the patrons were upper middle class to rich if they were Muslim.

I remember that place well, because on the elevator ride up, that is where I met my first Iranian.

Had to report that contact to the command.

Last edited:

Wanna bet?

In Dubai, U.A.E, all of the international hotels have a bar, usually along the lines of your good NYC nightclub.

In Jiddah (that means "grandmother" in Arabic), there are 2 places to get booze.

Either go out to the American compound where the oil workers are at (many of them have beer and wine), or go over to the town square at the center of the place.

Look north and to the left, you'll see an elevator. Take it up to the 2nd floor and just follow the music, you'll walk down a hallway and boom......a bar with beer and alcohol.

Interestingly enough, the patrons were upper middle class to rich if they were Muslim.

I remember that place well, because on the elevator ride up, that is where I met my first Iranian.

it was meant as a joke
and thanks for showing that it isnt easy to get a drink in SA

Wanna bet?

it was meant as a joke
and thanks for showing that it isnt easy to get a drink in SA

Actually, believe it or not, it is............just ask a cabbie.........

In Dubai, U.A.E, the cabbies like to hang out at the international hotels and wait for the drunks. Wanna know why? If they drove them to jail, the cabbies got 300 bucks per drunkard if they turned them over to the right people.

Same thing with Jiddah Saudi Arabia.

It doesn't say mindlessly follow Christ. You have a choice, follow Christ or not, but there are consequences with every choice. As far as homosexuality a rule, the old and new testament condem homosexuality. It is a sin and a abomination. Oh and it is just a choice.

Forum List

Back