The Democrats' Civil War

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
The next two years are going to chockful of divisiveness, drama and Existential Angst....all within the Democrat House majority. Occasional Cortex's Glowball Wirming protest outside Pelosi's office is just the beginning.

The Moderates vs. the Progs will be incredibly popcorn-worthy. Stock up on your supplies before the shelves are bare!

House Democrats figured out how to win in districts that narrowly supported President Donald Trump in 2016. Now they have to figure out how to govern there.

That's one of the key issues facing Democrats as they prepare to take control of the House for the first time in eight years: How do they strike a balance between progressive voters who are anxious to see Democrats stand up to Trump and more moderate voters in formerly Republican districts who decided to pull the lever for Democrats last week?

Both constituencies will be pivotal to shaping the party's identity ahead of 2020, when Democrats will be trying to hang onto the House while Trump runs for re-election. Moderates and progressive House members are both trying to position themselves for the coming identity crisis —or power struggle —in a closely divided chamber.

"If we're going to start out with impeachment and this and this, I mean, the American public is going to say, 'what did we put in charge?'" said Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Texas, a moderate who has been in office since 2005, even as many other moderate Democrats lost their races.

He's worried about progressives controlling the agenda and costing Democrats the House by losing seats in more conservative areas....

Divisions between progressives and moderates threaten to complicate Democrats' new House majority

"I don't want to be in the majority only four years and then get kicked out," he said. Some progressive members "think 'we can come in, change the world.' A lot of it is done incremental, it's incremental work."

But progressives want to pursue bold ideas that have grown in popularity while Democrats have been in political exile —such as Medicare for all. They're equally concerned about not responding to the electorate that they feel delivered them the House.

"If we don't respond to the electoral wins we've had, we won't have a good 2020," said Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Wis., co-chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus....[/i]

Divisions between progressives and moderates threaten to complicate Democrats' new House majority

It will be a real joke if the conservative Democrats, and the centrist Democrats go to the Republican Party, they hold a supermajority in the house and the dimshits get flushed with the rest of their genre.

The next two years are going to chockful of divisiveness, drama and Existential Angst....all within the Democrat House majority. Occasional Cortex's Glowball Wirming protest outside Pelosi's office is just the beginning.

The Moderates vs. the Progs will be incredibly popcorn-worthy. Stock up on your supplies before the shelves are bare!

House Democrats figured out how to win in districts that narrowly supported President Donald Trump in 2016. Now they have to figure out how to govern there.

That's one of the key issues facing Democrats as they prepare to take control of the House for the first time in eight years: How do they strike a balance between progressive voters who are anxious to see Democrats stand up to Trump and more moderate voters in formerly Republican districts who decided to pull the lever for Democrats last week?

Both constituencies will be pivotal to shaping the party's identity ahead of 2020, when Democrats will be trying to hang onto the House while Trump runs for re-election. Moderates and progressive House members are both trying to position themselves for the coming identity crisis —or power struggle —in a closely divided chamber.

"If we're going to start out with impeachment and this and this, I mean, the American public is going to say, 'what did we put in charge?'" said Rep. Henry Cuellar, D-Texas, a moderate who has been in office since 2005, even as many other moderate Democrats lost their races.

He's worried about progressives controlling the agenda and costing Democrats the House by losing seats in more conservative areas....

"I don't want to be in the majority only four years and then get kicked out," he said. Some progressive members "think 'we can come in, change the world.' A lot of it is done incremental, it's incremental work."

But progressives want to pursue bold ideas that have grown in popularity while Democrats have been in political exile —such as Medicare for all. They're equally concerned about not responding to the electorate that they feel delivered them the House.

"If we don't respond to the electoral wins we've had, we won't have a good 2020," said Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Wis., co-chairman of the Congressional Progressive Caucus....[/i]

You think our nutjobs will take over the party the way you and and other nutjobs took over yours?

You think our nutjobs will take over the party the way you and and other nutjobs took over yours?

I think the Dems are in deep shit. They have won a battle, not a war - and are now engaged in Identity Politics cannibalism. It's going to be mighty good fun to watch!

I think the Dems are in deep shit. They have won a battle, not a war - and are now engaged in Identity Politics cannibalism. It's going to be mighty good fun to watch!

Yup. It sure will be.

I'll be watching as much as I can. Should be a good laugh to.

This thread loses me. We've just seen a civil war in the gop, which Trump won and actually helped the dems flip the House and end up taking two gop senate seats in what should have been an election giving the gop control of the senate for the foreseeable future, and now it looks to be more likely the dems take the senate in 20 and the gop holding it. Only 3 in 10 want Trump reelected.

Personally I don't care for Pelosi, but there's not going to be any Freedom Caucus with 40 members determining what bills get votes.

You say that like it hasn't already happened.

crazy+pelosi.jpg

Cortez will quickly tow the DNC party line when they inform her she won't get reelection support, nor any decent committee posts if she doesn't STFU, and play ball.

Cortez will quickly tow the DNC party line when they inform her she won't get reelection support, nor any decent committee posts if she doesn't STFU, and play ball.

The Dems have let is slip that their two agenda items are socialized medicine and repealing the 2nd amendment (soon to be followed by the 1st, no doubt). Neither of these is going to play well in the red states where moderate Dems gained seats.

Back when there were such things as conservative and moderate democrats these children wouldn't be given the time of day, their only committee assignments would be on the subcommittee for paper inventory in the subcommittee for public toilets in the subcommittee for better relations with Greenland until they grew up and acted right.
Now that the dimocraps are dancing around on the left edge of the Golden Gate Bridge, they may end up with real committee chairmanships. Which could be a good thing in the long run.

It will be a real joke if the conservative Democrats, and the centrist Democrats go to the Republican Party, they hold a supermajority in the house and the dimshits get flushed with the rest of their genre.

IMHO, they'll go Independent first. As an Independent, I'm on the fence about a growing non-aligned segment of the Congress. I want a healthy two party competition in the ideological marketplace which is sadly in our wake. I want a healthy Democrat and Republican party but both are gone.

I believe it was 1966 when George Wallace said “There is not a dime’s worth of difference between the Democrats and the Republicans.” My wife loves quoting that line when I'm yelling at the TV.

The Democratic Party is firmly in the grip of the far left now. Moderate and conservative Democrats need to change parties or a start a new party. They have no chance of reclaiming the Democratic Party. The centrist Democratic Party that Bill Clinton built is dead and gone.

This generation of Dem leaders will be gone in just a few more years.
The next generation of Dem leaders will be further left, more radical, more racist and more fanatical.

The centrist Democratic Party that Bill Clinton built is dead and gone.

Can you imagine JFK in today's Democommie party? They'd tar and feather him. The only thing that would keep them from lynching him was that he banged Marilyn Monroe.

Pity. He was the last Democrat President who loved his country.
Warts and all.
iu

They can’t turn their backs on lgbt because lgbt owns the party.

As promising of fodder this is for the GOP, I caution against complacency & urge vigilance right to the very moment of 2020. And, the buckshot approach didn’t work. I’d pick an extremely polarizing issue & stick with it. One the dems 1. Can’t back away from & 2. One they can’t defend to moderates no matter how much lipstick they put on that pig. There’s your hint.

Forum List

Back