The death of Thanksgiving?

Will you shop on Thanksgiviong Day

• Total voters
49-3
muahaha.gif

The reason businesses didn't open in the past is because very few people would come in.

Today grandma is on a cruise with her boyfriend, brother has gone skiing, the kids are with various fathers or mothers, mom and dad are in Palm Springs, the perfect day is shopping, lunch and a movie.

I'm probably going to go out, take a few pictures, do a little shopping. We have CHOSEN to wait until the end of the year and get together for a few days. Schedules and health being what they are, we just aren't able to drive for 12 hours, 6 hours each way, for the sake of one meal. People DO have choices. And it is not someone else's place to make MY choices. And I am not bringing about the death of any great tradition by not making myself sick driving for 12 hours for the sake of one meal.

I'm working! There are several reastaurants around that will be open so I might go to one. The last couple of years my friends have had the buffet at the Beverly Hilton. They might this year too but I'm not counting on it. I'm not much for Christmas shopping because I don't celebrate Christmas any more than Thanksgiving.

An unwanted, antisocial, dimwitted loner. Super!

That is a valid question. And I can appreciate that question.

But once you get into the judgmental aspect that those businesses who open on Sunday are somehow doing their employees a disservice and destroying family values in pursuit of profits, yadda yadda, you are into indefensible territory. You cannot know what the needs or motives of the employer are; what the needs or preferences of the employees are. Or why so many do seem to appreciate the opportunity to shop on that holiday.

To be nostalgic and wish people would observe Thanksgiving in the way you prefer to observe Thanksgiving is a valid wish.

To judge them because they do not, is not.

"Indefensible terrotory" -- that's scary.

"My company right or wrong" huh? Doooooon't think it works that way.

Yes, business IS subject to judgement, like it or not. Is that some kind of heresy?

You can judge all you like. It is, in this case, indefensible. There's nothing so scary as someone who thinks he has the authority to dictate to others how to spend their time.

You just can't force others to adhere to your holiday schedule and work itinerary. Like it or not.

You mean like you think you have the authority to 'dictate' other people's posts?

Nobody's suggested "forcing" anything, Nummynuts. Like it or not. It doesn't become part of thread history just because you pretend it is.

Now put the strawman down ... nice and slow....

The White House staff. Firefighters. Hospital workers. Broadcasters. Policemen. Our military.

These and dozens more represent occupations that have no days off. Holidays are scheduled and accommodations are made.

The issue is, should Thanksgiving become a "retail event"? Retailers are opening on that holiday not because it is essential for their operations, but because they can gin up business on a day that was, here to fore, a holiday with time off.

When the great steel mills flourished up and down the valley, they could not suspend operations for any holiday, including Christmas. But accommodations were made and schedules were drawn up to minimize the staff and more than amply pay those who chose to work. But today, Macy's wants to open shop just to create more business for themselves, and consequently more holiday mania.

No one believes that no one should work on Thanksgiving. But should Thanksgiving be turned into President's Day when precious little time is taken to honor Presidents, but reams of paper are used to advertise mattress sales. Can Thanksgiving be the one spot in the holiday season exempt from the intrusion of trumped up retail promotion?

That is a valid question. And I can appreciate that question.

But once you get into the judgmental aspect that those businesses who open on Sunday are somehow doing their employees a disservice and destroying family values in pursuit of profits, yadda yadda, you are into indefensible territory. You cannot know what the needs or motives of the employer are; what the needs or preferences of the employees are. Or why so many do seem to appreciate the opportunity to shop on that holiday.

To be nostalgic and wish people would observe Thanksgiving in the way you prefer to observe Thanksgiving is a valid wish.

To judge them because they do not, is not.

"Indefensible terrotory" -- that's scary.

"My company right or wrong" huh? Doooooon't think it works that way.

Yes, business IS subject to judgement, like it or not. Is that some kind of heresy?

Well if you value your job, then you will keep a positive mindset and conversation going about your employer.

I didn't vote. Like most polls on here, the choice I would have made is not there.

That was me too. Which is why I try to remember to give a 'none of the above' or 'other' option when I include a poll on my threads. I simply don't have any problem going shopping on Thanksgiving if that is what my loved ones want to do. And we have had an absolute ball on those outings. But it is not for the bargains. It is for the activity itself. And that option wasn't there. This year I won't be shopping because the folks we'll have for Thanksgiving Dinner will not be interested in doing that. And that's okay too.

Last edited:
Had a Thanksgiving luncheon today we had Turkey, ham, dressing, stuffing, yams, corn, collard greens, deviled eggs, rolls, god it was so good, the place smells great.

I didn't vote. Like most polls on here, the choice I would have made is not there.

That was me too. Which is why I try to remember to give a 'none of the above' or 'other' option when I include a poll on my threads. I simply don't have any problem going shopping on Thanksgiving if that is what my loved ones want to do. And we have had an absolute ball on those outings. But it is not for the bargains. It is for the activity itself. And that option wasn't there. This year I won't be shopping because the folks we'll have for Thanksgiving Dinner will not be interested in doing that. And that's okay too.

JESUS CHRIST....it's a simple either or question....WTF is it about you starched-ass introverts that puts any "gray areas" in it....just answer the fucking question one way or the other. :doubt:

JESUS CHRIST....it's a simple either or question....WTF is it about you starched-ass introverts that puts any "gray areas" in it....just answer the fucking question one way or the other. :doubt:

Well I apologize for not conforming to your opinion of what I should think and how I should answer a poll. I'm really sorry that I don't see going shopping as 'wasting a holiday' and if I went shopping, it wouldn't be for the bargains. So which poll option should I answer dishonestly? I'm sure you are much smarter than I am and I sure wouldn't want to be a starch-assed introvert.

Last edited:
Well I apologize for not conforming to your opinion of what I should think and how I should answer a poll. I'm really sorry that I don't see going shopping as 'wasting a holiday' and if I went shopping, it wouldn't be for the bargains. So which poll option should I answer dishonestly? I'm sure you are much smarter than I am and I sure wouldn't want to be a starch-assed introvert.

blah blah blah....
yawn.gif

Blame me! I put the poll on the thread. I added qualifiers that could be read as judgmental. As it turns out, the questions aren't as simple as one might think. Perhaps if I had just included a one syllable 'yes' and a one syllable 'no', the poll might not reflect any underlying motives. But I didn't. I colored the questions with my own prejudices. If anyone deserves to be called a starch-assed introvert, it's me.

Forum List

Back