The death of Thanksgiving?

Will you shop on Thanksgiviong Day

• Total voters
Oh dear God!

Nowhere did I call for stronger labor unions. Nowhere did I mention Wal*Mart. And I am a Liberal calling for stronger families.

With all that, you deduced that this thread is a left wing hate fest spewing anti Wal*Mart propaganda.

Silly me, when this really is just a left wing hate fest spewing anti Walmart propaganda.

But the good news is, if you are typical of the contemporary American Conservative, Liberalism is about to sweep this country like no time since 1934! If Conservatives demonstrate the same low level of logical thinking as you, the argument for Liberalism should be simpler to make. We won't have to use big words and sense, just figure out what Pavlovian response makes folks of your ilk apoplectic and turn up the volume.

Oh I see that. People are over-joyed with Obama's fascistcare and he has never been higher in the polls....

Either that, or you're like REALLY out of touch, dude.... :dunno:

I probably would have checked "No" if the option had included the qualifier that I will choose to do other things that day. But I won't agree that I think going shopping would 'waste the day' or because I 'needed the bargains.'. It would be because I will have a small group at the house this year and it would be rude to leave them.

And in the years in which a fun shopping expedition and movie was planned, I very well might join my loved ones in that activity too because that is family time every bit as much as sitting around the house.

It says something about dishonesty when the side losing the argument needs a torrent of strawmen to feed itself...

I never mentioned Mal-Wart, pothead. It came up once before today when somebody else injected it, to which my response was "let us not speak of this again".

Yet here you are constructing all kinds of fables.

Why is that, Pothead?

My family wants to have Thanksgiving dinner on Friday. WTF? It's tradition to eat turkey and watch the Cowboys kick ass.

Why do you spell "lick" with a K on the beginning? :dunno:

Romo has a winning record on Thanksgiving.

Let's show the audience at home who we mean by "Romo", shall we?

And-Den-He-Pusheded-Me-Down-And-Calleded-Me-Bad-Names.jpg

I probably would have checked "No" if the option had included the qualifier that I will choose to do other things that day. But I won't agree that I think going shopping would 'waste the day' or because I 'needed the bargains.'. It would be because I will have a small group at the house this year and it would be rude to leave them.

And in the years in which a fun shopping expedition and movie was planned, I very well might join my loved ones in that activity too because that is family time every bit as much as sitting around the house.

Good for you. Would it not then amount to "wasting the day" to be rude in such a way?

[insert picture of hair-splitting machine here]

And why would it be "rude" -- if not for the very social fabric we're talking about in the first place?

Arguing just to argue...

We don't stuff the turkey either....got to make sure it hits 180-85 in the deepest part of the breast. Don't eat the liver or heart either....these birds are packed full of steroids and antibiotics. Liver and kidneys collect the residue of what the bird ingests; it's like eating an oil filter.
ohmy_zps88e14394.png

Still the best is Stove Top but in the can not the box....there's a difference.....add some celery and it beats anything home-made I ever got.

Buy Zacky or Foster Farms, or some other Turkey that is free of that nonsense.

{Butterball Fresh Whole Turkeys are all natural, never frozen, gluten free, and raised without hormones on American farms, giving you the highest quality turkey for your holiday meal. }

Fresh Whole Turkey | Butterball®

get a willie bird!!! Best turkey on the market in my opinion...... ive got my 16-17 pounder on order..

Willie Bird Turkeys Welcome

I don't know what thread you've been reading but I'm not aware of any denigration of hard work in here, let alone welfare recipients or forcing anybody to do anything. Some of us are just social conservatives. Deal with it.

But I am aware you're trying desperately to inject it. Thank you Princess Buzzkill. :thup:

I'm curious Pogo, what do you figure, there will be 2-300 people on staff to serve our Royal master his holiday feast?

While it is clearly wrong of Walmart to have employees work on Thanksgiving, I'm sure it is holy and good to have hundreds of people working on Thanksgiving to wait on Obama hand and foot, yes?

Obama Celebrates Thanksgiving At White House With Family

White House staff: $ 150,000

Walmart employee: $ 15,000

Actually, hormones are prohibited by FDA in poultry and pork. The "market adjusted" to the law. :thup:

Actually, the marked stopped using them in the 40's - and the FDA outlawed them in the 80's.

Try again, sporky...

Poultry farming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depends who's FDA it is.....GOP usually lets the producers slide....RATs usually get a bribe then suggest the birds smoke crack from the corner boys to grow faster....same with OSHA....those fuckers are nazis with the RATs in office...ya never see em when they're working for GOP. My advice? Don't eat kidneys or liver from anything you didn't shoot in the woods.... :nono:

We don't stuff the turkey either....got to make sure it hits 180-85 in the deepest part of the breast. Don't eat the liver or heart either....these birds are packed full of steroids and antibiotics. Liver and kidneys collect the residue of what the bird ingests; it's like eating an oil filter.
ohmy_zps88e14394.png

Still the best is Stove Top but in the can not the box....there's a difference.....add some celery and it beats anything home-made I ever got.

Buy Zacky or Foster Farms, or some other Turkey that is free of that nonsense.

{Butterball Fresh Whole Turkeys are all natural, never frozen, gluten free, and raised without hormones on American farms, giving you the highest quality turkey for your holiday meal. }

Fresh Whole Turkey | Butterball®

We always get either a Willie Bird or a Diestel Farms turkey. I have a friend who has converted to Heritage Turkeys, but they are outrageously expensive, imo.

woman after my own heart!!!

ive had both, and still feel that the willie is better then the diestle.....

I don't know what thread you've been reading but I'm not aware of any denigration of hard work in here, let alone welfare recipients or forcing anybody to do anything. Some of us are just social conservatives. Deal with it.

But I am aware you're trying desperately to inject it. Thank you Princess Buzzkill. :thup:

I'm curious Pogo, what do you figure, there will be 2-300 people on staff to serve our Royal master his holiday feast?

While it is clearly wrong of Walmart to have employees work on Thanksgiving, I'm sure it is holy and good to have hundreds of people working on Thanksgiving to wait on Obama hand and foot, yes?

Obama Celebrates Thanksgiving At White House With Family

There is a strawman limit per post, Pothead. You know, like a bridge weight limit?

Nobody says it's "wrong" for Mal-Wart to force employees to work on a national holiday, tearing them away from their families under threat of economic coercion. Don't know where you get that idea. :eusa_whistle:

We do however note what their values are in doing that, and the likely effect. "Wrong" is in the eye of the beholder.

Funny thing about that eye -- even though 94% of us agree with the thread premise, the 6% tirelessly try to beat down the idea that we should entertain that thought.

Now as for the WH staff, I have no idea what that entails but I'm sure it carries some kind of status to work there, regardless who the POTUS is. I'll bet it's slightly more interesting than, say, waiting in a line at Mal-Wart to buy a blender.

i guess that would depend on the blender....... :lol:

It says something about dishonesty when the side losing the argument needs a torrent of strawmen to feed itself...

Yeah, but we expect a bit of dishonesty from you, so it's all good..

I never mentioned Mal-Wart, pothead. It came up once before today when somebody else injected it, to which my response was "let us not speak of this again".

Yet here you are constructing all kinds of fables.

Why is that, Pothead?

What is your argument, sporky?

vargo-ultra-spork__59873_zoom.jpg

Romo may not set any passing records but he's elusive....he bobbed and weaved his way into Jessica Simpsons pants and escaped before she could land him as a baby-daddy.

Jessica_Simpson1972.jpg

Are you genuinely unaware that by "endless pursuit of profit" I refer to the profiteers, not the wage earners?

Look, it really isn't that complex. It's a question of values: is it more important for Wally to join Beaver, Ward and June at the table, or is it more important for Wal-Mart to make yet another million bucks. That's it in a nutshell. Not rocket surgery. Nothing to do with AWANA or hospitals or volunteering or anything else.

Stop trying to make the topic into something it isn't. Koshergrrrr is already on top of that. If you take away her employment she'll have to go on welfare and we'll never hear the end of it.

And why is the wage earner more noble when he or she works on a holiday than is the business owner who gives him/her the opportunity to do so? That is why I could never be a leftist. I don't see the business owners as evil, merciless, greedy, hateful merchants of profit. I see them as essential to a free society and necessary for that society to function and prosper. And if their extra profits allow them to offer their people extra pay or opportunity or more in wages and/or benefits, who are you to accuse them of being 'endless pursuers of profit?' (Which you clearly meant as a perjorative term.) God help us all if they ever stop pursueing profits because we'll become a miserable third world country really fast.

Thanks to a corrupt, lying, and unethical government, most folks working in retail greatly covet more hours, not more time off. Focus your attention there and not on the honest business owner who is running a business that provides opportunity and wages to people who choose to work for him.

Foxy Foxy Foxy, why does it always have to morph into the political? This is not a political thread. Sheesh, can we not give it a rest for one thread?

A vocal 5.88% -- arguing just to argue. SMH...

Meaning that once again you've got nothing but fuzzy ideology to support your argument. You are the one who presumes to judge those who pursue profit.

And I am not making this a political thread. I am expressing my conviction that those of you who would blame/accuse/judge a business owner for pursuing profits and those of you who would blame/accuse/judge a business owner for requiring employees to work on a holiday claim to be making those judgments out of some sense of moral imperative that it is evil to pursue profits or pay people to work on Thanskgiving.

But you won't find fault with the Obamas who will require THEIR staff to work on Thanksgiving in order to provide his and her majesty and the princesses with a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner. Which is hypocritical.

And you won't see that it is the shitty economy and the requirements of things like Obamacare, the most corrupt program the government has ever forced upon us, that has put a large percentage of the work force in a position that they covet extra hours and extra pay, even on Thanksgiving, and those eeeeeeevil business owners are not being cruel to their employees. Which is a blatant failure of failing to see the forest for the trees.

Actually, hormones are prohibited by FDA in poultry and pork. The "market adjusted" to the law. :thup:

Actually, the marked stopped using them in the 40's - and the FDA outlawed them in the 80's.

Try again, sporky...

Poultry farming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depends who's FDA it is.....GOP usually lets the producers slide....RATs usually get a bribe then suggest the birds smoke crack from the corner boys to grow faster....same with OSHA....those fuckers are nazis with the RATs in office...ya never see em when they're working for GOP. My advice? Don't eat kidneys or liver from anything you didn't shoot in the woods.... :nono:

Well, the ban was 1959, so you can do the math from there.

And why is the wage earner more noble when he or she works on a holiday than is the business owner who gives him/her the opportunity to do so? That is why I could never be a leftist. I don't see the business owners as evil, merciless, greedy, hateful merchants of profit. I see them as essential to a free society and necessary for that society to function and prosper. And if their extra profits allow them to offer their people extra pay or opportunity or more in wages and/or benefits, who are you to accuse them of being 'endless pursuers of profit?' (Which you clearly meant as a perjorative term.) God help us all if they ever stop pursueing profits because we'll become a miserable third world country really fast.

Thanks to a corrupt, lying, and unethical government, most folks working in retail greatly covet more hours, not more time off. Focus your attention there and not on the honest business owner who is running a business that provides opportunity and wages to people who choose to work for him.

Foxy Foxy Foxy, why does it always have to morph into the political? This is not a political thread. Sheesh, can we not give it a rest for one thread?

Meaning that once again you've got nothing but fuzzy ideology to support your argument. You are the one who presumes to judge those who pursue profit.

And I am not making this a political thread. I am expressing my conviction that those of you who would blame/accuse/judge a business owner for pursuing profits and those of you who would blame/accuse/judge a business owner for requiring employees to work on a holiday claim to be making those judgments out of some sense of moral imperative that it is evil to pursue profits or pay people to work on Thanskgiving.

But you won't find fault with the Obamas who will require THEIR staff to work on Thanksgiving in order to provide his and her majesty and the princesses with a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner. Which is hypocritical.

And you won't see that it is the shitty economy and the requirements of things like Obamacare, the most corrupt program the government has ever forced upon us, that has put a large percentage of the work force in a position that they covet extra hours and extra pay, even on Thanksgiving, and those eeeeeeevil business owners are not being cruel to their employees. Which is a blatant failure of failing to see the forest for the trees.
Are the Obamas the first family in the White House to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner there? Did Nancy microwave some turkey roll for Ronny, or was there staff present to accommodate their needs?

Last time I checked we had the right to our own opinions on such values. But point well taken-- I haven't checked in a while. :eek:

Rubbish. I know nothing about the requirements of the WH staff, and since this was brought in by Pothead, who makes up Wal-Mart quotes that aren't there and can't tell the difference between the 1980s and 1959, I'm inclined to take that canard with a grain of salt. And sage, and rosemary, and pass the mashed potatoes please.

Or as my Mom would have said, "you're full of soup". :D

Again with the political obsession ... :rolleyes: I don't know why you're even bringing up the ACA (I was opposed to that from before the beginning) but I also don't see what the **** it has to do with this topic. And I seriously doubt whatever's going on up there is any different from what went on for George and Laura, Bill and Hillary, George and Barbara, etc etc etc. So tell me all about "hypocrisy"...

Can't comment on "failure of failing" though --- actually that sounds like a worthy goal. :D

Love ya Foxy.

And Foxy..............

Erleichda already.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back