The danger of government by slogans

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Chris, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    This weekend's actions in Congress, as members of the House and Senate wrangle with the debt ceiling and with each other, will be difficult to watch. Both the debt crisis and the political breakdown surrounding it are unsettling for all Americans. Not only must the debt ceiling be raised, but the political crisis must abate enough to reassure global financial markets that the United States will always honor its debts and obligations.

This is the overwhelming consensus of economists, and the stated aim of President Obama and the leaders of both parties in Congress. The roadblock throughout the process has been the refusal of some House Republicans to consider any increase in the debt ceiling, and the take-it-or-leave-it insistence of others on tying their support to wholly unrealistic demands. This is not only unconscionable, but deeply confusing to everyone watching the debate because it paints the issue in false and misleading terms.

It is not correct to say, as so many Tea Party denizens do, that raising the debt ceiling gives anyone, least of all the president, “a blank check.’’ Raising the debt ceiling allows the government to sell bonds to pay for expenses already budgeted by Congress. It does not increase spending. It does not promote more borrowing. If the government spends less it will borrow less, no matter how high the debt ceiling. Refusing to raise the debt ceiling is not, as some Tea Party leaders present it, like declining to take out a new credit card; it’s more like taking a pair of scissors to the credit card you already have and ignoring the unpaid balance. This doesn’t just fail to solve the problem; it makes it vastly worse by destroying your credit rating and ensuring higher interest rates for existing bills.

Debt battle reveals danger of government by slogans - The Boston Globe

2. BDBoop

BDBoop BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Yeah. The board I came here from, many people commented that I seem to have changed over the past month. I wasn't my normal sunny self. Gee. Could it be that I was having the mother of all freakouts over our country being driven off a cliff by a bunch of deranged lunatics?

3. Full-Auto

Full-Auto Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,615
    Just think of any cut as extreme and you will feel better.

4. skookerasbil

skookerasbil Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,220

You should head back to the old site sweets..........the left is getting their clocks cleaned over on this board. It is stupid funny how much the dynamic has changed around here over the past 24 months or so.........and to watch the deranged lunatics winning so handily!!!:boobies::boobies::boobies::coffee:

5. Richard-H

Richard-H Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Do you always hallucinate so?

6. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,804
    Chris after your last 2 strike out threads this is your last chance to make it big. Goodluck

7. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,804
    YEaaaaaaaaa, cause your sig doesnt scream im a party partisan hack that believes in conspiricies of any ridiculous nature..... Nope, your completely normal...... by wacko standards anyhow :cuckoo:

8. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    *yawn*