The college scam

If you believe a college degree of today is just as difficult to obtain as it was 40-50 years ago, you are clearly uninformed.
`
And you have proof they have changed? I think not. Admission standards have changed. Due to technological advances, many of the core curriculum's have changed. But the standard to get a degree, has not.
Nice parsing there.

The standards have remained the same. So many credits for so many hours of work and the grades of the professor.

So, the question becomes, has the curriculum remains as vigorous? In many ways, the answer is no. For some disciplines, they have, which is why those fields are in crisis. We don't have as many Doctors (medicine), Engineers, Lawyers, Accountants, Mathematicians as in the past because the curriculum in those subjects has remained vigorous.

So we have kids today going to college and taking those courses and subjects that are no longer as rigorous. Like how to fuck in a group setting and other assorted 'humanities'

It is disingenuous to say that the 'standards' are the same.

Artificial limits are placed on how many students can be accepted in medical schools each year. There are fewer doctors because so many have been leaving the profession in the past 8 years or so because health insurance and reimbursement has become so fucked up.

There is a glut of lawyers in the country, so scratch that from your list.

We have tons of accountants.

Engineers and mathematicians are about the same, but demand has grown. The labor market will adjust one way or another.

I just loled...

You're probably a nobody and a high school drop out. Takes nerve.

Colleges produce our
-doctors
-Executives in the business world.
-scientist
-engineers
-Computer techs like me ;)
-Chemist
-Meteorologist
-Geologist
-and the list can go on for the another 100 thousand words.

I am betting that you're one of those religious fuckers that believes one shouldn't understand anything besides the bible. lol

Like IBM could train techs without mentioning von Neumann architectures even though they hired John von Neumann as a consultant in 1952.

With today's computers more powerful than 1980s mainframe and the ability to store 30,000 books on a USB stick who needs college if we used the technology properly?

Better than most courses. The problem is curating all of the garbage.

psik

Yes, we have such lousy universities in the US. That is why students from all over the world come to the US to go to university. That is why a university degree from the US is prized by employers world wide, because we have such lousy schools.
Oh...what would we do without the strawman?

Are you related to Big Ears?
I have just retired from 30 years of teaching--university & community college in the States and an international college prep high school program for 11th and 12th graders. I taught that program for 14 years in international schools. The first choice for most graduates of the program, who are from around the world, is either the UK or the US for their university studies. Our program, which has extremely high standards, is highly prized by universities around the world, including the US, schools that are hard to get into. I know from personal, direct experience thst US university degrees are highly valued by employers around the world and that a student will get what he or she puts into college studies.

Teaching degrees are the biggest scam out there. I got a master's in education with teaching license because newspapers would say there is a teacher shortage lots jobs. I went on teaching interviews always same thing heard we have over 100 people who applied we are hiring only one. We wont hire you as teacher but if you want sub for us for 50$ a day.

Instead of looking at degrees advertised as high demand jobs I should thought to myself ok what's a job no one wants.

Mortician would been better choice. No one wants to embalm dead bodies for a living
My niece did much the same thing. She got her bachelors in teaching only to find out no jobs existed. She is a waitress.
The best applicants get jobs. I did part-time college teaching before going full-time. I did substitute high school teaching before getting a full-time contracted job. That's how the market works. Someone who has a teaching degree and works instead as a waitress... that's an issue of making a choice, not of having no choice. Maybe she is happier; maybe she makes more money than substitute teaching. When I was a substitute teacher, if I could have cloned myself, both of me would have worked full time: there was twice as much work as I could do. You don't make much money, true, but it leads to a full-time position.

Yes the best applicants get jobs, but it would be nice if they were more honest how many jobs are actually there and what the ratio is for number of applicants for every teaching vs how many actually get hired . The college professors, the newspapers, TV, the internet all give this illusion that teaching is a high demand area therefore that would imply your chances of getting hired as a teacher are high if you get the degree. With how many applicants there are for each teaching position and all those candidates not getting teaching jobs this would indicate the reverse of what is being advertised by college education professors, there actually is no teacher shortage in fact it is one of the most competitive fields out there oversaturated. In a way it is a scam college professors in the department of Eduction do to their students, they are not honest with them about the actual job prospects there teaching degree will get them.

Here is how the teaching scam goes. People who want good jobs read in the newspapers, on the internet, TV that "there is a huge teacher shortage and we need teachers badly". So they are scammed into thinking there are tons of openings out there and therefore if there are so many openings the chances of them getting hired as teacher if they get the degree is high.

My CDL was way more valuable, and unlike college professors my truck driving instructors told me the truth. Yes there is a high demand for OTR truck drivers. If you get the CDL we will hire you as a truck driver and you will be making good money a lot better than what you make now at low wage dead end minimum wage jobs. Unlike teaching there is a huge demand and trucking schools are truthful with what they advertise. Its not like there is a huge amount of applicants for every opening for a trucking job, they are begging for drivers like crazy. You got a CDL and a good driving record you can get hired easily and get paid decent money.

My CDL was way more valuable than that stupid master's in education and teaching license, that lead me to a $50/day substitute teaching job. My CDL lead to a 40k a year job easily. Best decision of my life :)

With today's computers more powerful than 1980s mainframe and the ability to store 30,000 books on a USB stick who needs college if we used the technology properly?....

People who really want an education.

I have just retired from 30 years of teaching--university & community college in the States and an international college prep high school program for 11th and 12th graders. I taught that program for 14 years in international schools. The first choice for most graduates of the program, who are from around the world, is either the UK or the US for their university studies. Our program, which has extremely high standards, is highly prized by universities around the world, including the US, schools that are hard to get into. I know from personal, direct experience thst US university degrees are highly valued by employers around the world and that a student will get what he or she puts into college studies.

Teaching degrees are the biggest scam out there. I got a master's in education with teaching license because newspapers would say there is a teacher shortage lots jobs. I went on teaching interviews always same thing heard we have over 100 people who applied we are hiring only one. We wont hire you as teacher but if you want sub for us for 50$ a day.

Instead of looking at degrees advertised as high demand jobs I should thought to myself ok what's a job no one wants.

Mortician would been better choice. No one wants to embalm dead bodies for a living
My niece did much the same thing. She got her bachelors in teaching only to find out no jobs existed. She is a waitress.
The best applicants get jobs. I did part-time college teaching before going full-time. I did substitute high school teaching before getting a full-time contracted job. That's how the market works. Someone who has a teaching degree and works instead as a waitress... that's an issue of making a choice, not of having no choice. Maybe she is happier; maybe she makes more money than substitute teaching. When I was a substitute teacher, if I could have cloned myself, both of me would have worked full time: there was twice as much work as I could do. You don't make much money, true, but it leads to a full-time position.

Yes the best applicants get jobs, but it would be nice if they were more honest how many jobs are actually there and what the ratio is for number of applicants for every teaching vs how many actually get hired . The college professors, the newspapers, TV, the internet all give this illusion that teaching is a high demand area therefore that would imply your chances of getting hired as a teacher are high if you get the degree. With how many applicants there are for each teaching position and all those candidates not getting teaching jobs this would indicate the reverse of what is being advertised by college education professors, there actually is no teacher shortage in fact it is one of the most competitive fields out there oversaturated. In a way it is a scam college professors in the department of Eduction do to their students, they are not honest with them about the actual job prospects there teaching degree will get them.

Here is how the teaching scam goes. People who want good jobs read in the newspapers, on the internet, TV that "there is a huge teacher shortage and we need teachers badly". So they are scammed into thinking there are tons of openings out there and therefore if there are so many openings the chances of them getting hired as teacher if they get the degree is high.

My CDL was way more valuable, and unlike college professors my truck driving instructors told me the truth. Yes there is a high demand for OTR truck drivers. If you get the CDL we will hire you as a truck driver and you will be making good money a lot better than what you make now at low wage dead end minimum wage jobs. Unlike teaching there is a huge demand and trucking schools are truthful with what they advertise. Its not like there is a huge amount of applicants for every opening for a trucking job, they are begging for drivers like crazy. You got a CDL and a good driving record you can get hired easily and get paid decent money.

My CDL was way more valuable than that stupid master's in education and teaching license, that lead me to a $50/day substitute teaching job. My CDL lead to a 40k a year job easily. Best decision of my life :)

:lol:

That post was just ridiculous in so many ways.

Yes the best applicants get jobs, but it would be nice if they were more honest how many jobs are actually there and what the ratio is for number of applicants for every teaching vs how many actually get hired . .....

How stupid is this? Do you think that information is available, or is a static figure in any case? You're looking for a fortune-teller, not a college.

Life doesn't come with the kind of diapering you seem to need.

..... The college professors, the newspapers, TV, the internet all give this illusion that teaching is a high demand area therefore that would imply your chances of getting hired as a teacher are high if you get the degree.......

It is, but not for all people at all times in all places. Welcome to the real world.

Yes the best applicants get jobs, but it would be nice if they were more honest how many jobs are actually there and what the ratio is for number of applicants for every teaching vs how many actually get hired . .....

How stupid is this? Do you think that information is available, or is a static figure in any case? You're looking for a fortune-teller, not a college.

Life did come with what you call that diapearing when I decided to get a CDL and drive a truck best paying job ever had 40k year.

My advice to those thinking going to college skip college and get in a truck guaranteed employment great pay and benefits.

Life did come with what you call that diapearing when I decided to get a CDL and drive a truck best paying job ever had 40k year.

My advice to those thinking going to college skip college and get in a truck guaranteed employment great pay and benefits.
Depending on what state you live in, teaching pays a lot more than 40 thousand a year.

It's more about lowering admission standards to kick in the student loans that are taxpayer-backed. They don't care if the kids graduate or default, the schools and lending institutions get their money regardless.Taxpayers are getting fleeced, regardless, as well.
`
Most government grants, such as the Pell grants, are done through private companies. The government only coordinates that. The debt the student owes is to the company lending the money, not the government.

Pell grants are a federal program.

Pell Grant - Wikipedia

Were did you get such a silly idea?

Depending on what state you live in, teaching pays a lot more than 40 thousand a year.

After 20 years, yes. Before that, not so much.

I have been teaching 20 years and cleared $60,000 exactly never!

Trump...Trump...Trump.LMFAO
`
Judge Approves $25 Million Settlement Of Trump University Lawsuit - "A federal judge has approved a $25 million settlement deal between President Trump and students who paid for Trump University real estate seminars, bringing lengthy litigation to a close.The deal, which calls for Trump to reimburse the students who say they were defrauded, was struck in November but needed approval from U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel. He signed off on the settlement Friday in San Diego"

How many students sued versus how many attended and were happy with their education?

Means nothing. So what if foreigners THINK it is valuable? This in no way proves that the education provided today is as good as it was decades ago, nor does it dispute that the cost has become prohibitive.

The reason why many foreigners think it's valuable is because the education in other countries isn't so good.

But other countries might be catching up, or at least directing their students towards skills that are necessary.
DIRECTING STUDENTS TOWARDS WHAT IS NECESSARY. That is essentially my point, But schools in the US are not focused on silly courses; however, humanities and art courses are essential. What good is engineering, medicine, dentistry, business when we have no sense of art and culture? Students need to choose good schools and good professors; they need to work hard and understand their own goals. You people think that education is like trade school, just preparing people for a job. Education, a good edcuation, is far more than that.
You are dreaming.
Dreaming am I? I'm the one with 30 years direct experience in this area.

Arts and humanities are nice to haves, They do not make the education. I have an undergraduate degree in history and avoided all art and humanities classes throughout my entire college career.

I just loled...

You're probably a nobody and a high school drop out. Takes nerve.

Colleges produce our
-doctors
-Executives in the business world.
-scientist
-engineers
-Computer techs like me ;)
-Chemist
-Meteorologist
-Geologist
-and the list can go on for the another 100 thousand words.

I am betting that you're one of those religious fuckers that believes one shouldn't understand anything besides the bible. lol
Hey Mathew, wasn’t Steve Jobs a college drop out?

College now is about selling dreams that won't happen. Mediocre law schools let many students in with low scores water down classes so students pass and charge a fortune to students who just have average intelligence knowing full well these students won't make it as lawyers because they don't have the brains to be s good lawyer.

You see this in many degrees from average universities. They should be honest and say to the student based on your ability we think you would have more success as a truck driver or a plumber your not smart enough to be an accountant. But schools instead water down classes so students pass because they want money and could care less if student will make it in real world.

I am a OTR truck driver and have a master's degree I learned my lesson the hard way.
Yes, we have such lousy universities in the US. That is why students from all over the world come to the US to go to university. That is why a university degree from the US is prized by employers world wide, because we have such lousy schools.

That is just simply not true. Teaching has one of the highest turnovers in the first 5 years. Any college graduate can walk in just about anywhere and get a job unless it is in PE, Art, or Music.

I have the exact opposite problem. I am ending my teaching career because no one want to hire someone at $60,000 a year when they can hire two college grads for $30,000 each.

I'll probably take a $25,000 pay cut because of that and starting a new career in my 50s.

This thread just proves my point that the goals of the right are to destroy modern America and send it back to the 18th century. They hate intelligence with a passion as it proves their religious shit to be wrong. Their entire belief system is based on idiocy and full acceptance of religious dogma.

Last edited:

That is just simply not true. Teaching has one of the highest turnovers in the first 5 years. Any college graduate can walk in just about anywhere and get a job unless it is in PE, Art, or Music.

I have the exact opposite problem. I am ending my teaching career because no one want to hire someone at $60,000 a year when they can hire two college grads for $30,000 each.

I'll probably take a $25,000 pay cut because of that and starting a new career in my 50s.
I believe salaries depend on the state you live in.

I began public school teaching at a $50,000 salary, but I have a master's degree and that adds to the salary. Also, in my state (actually 2 states I worked in) you are required to have a degree in education, a 4 year bachelor's degree in education. So it is not true that anyone with a college degree can be hired as a teacher. One must also have a teaching certificate issued by the State.

To substitue teach you also need a degree in education + a state issued teaching certificate and must provide transcripts and letters of recommendaton: they don't send just anyone with a college degree in to substitute teach.

For any teaching job you must provide finger prints taken by the local police.

Wherever you taught and people don't need education degrees, what kind of place is that? Low standards? Low salaries?

And I reiterate, regarding getting a teaching job right out of college: if you don't get one right away, substitute teach for a year (also sign up for summer school teaching if you are in a big city), and this will lead to a full time job--if you do well and make good contacts.

Last edited:

It is true, but she graduated in 2010. Teaching jobs in her area were nonexistent at that time.

It is true, but she graduated in 2010. Teaching jobs in her area were nonexistent at that time.
If she really wants to be a teacher, she'll substitue teach. I moved from my city to a small town 90 miles away to take a one year job to get my first full time teaching job. I was replacing a teacher who took a one year compassionate leave as her husband had a stroke. It was 2000.

If you really want to teach, you make the effort. Sub for one year, sub for two years, teach summer school, volunteer. I never heard that teaching jobs were a dime a dozen. You conservatives are always going on about how lazy libs are and want to be handed everything: that's what your daughter's/niece's attitude sounds like. Nothing is easy.

Forum List

Back