The Chick-Fil-A Controversy

Should a city deny a business license due to a 'wrong' political/social stance?

• Yes, I can see a justification for that.

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • No,I can't see a justification for that.

Votes: 69 84.1%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 5 6.1%

• Total voters
I had to answer 'other', as we do not have Chick-fil-A's out west. I could get jazzed about the contoversy if say, Inn-N'-Out Burger was involved.

I miss the In N Out burgers...Give me a double double. :D

Had the chance to check 'em out on most recent vacation!

:thup:

LOVE the simplicity of their menu.
None of the extra-curricular BS of McD's
:cool:

I'm sure there a lot of companies that have a set belief system of some kind or another.
Ckic-fil-A just chose to vocalize theirs louder than the others.

Well, that and the taste doesn't even compare. Ever been to a Five Guys?

If a business was racist, and made public their opinions on how they disliked black people and thought they should be slaves, I wouldn't expect that company to have permission to move into a town or city, so the same goes for being homophobic.

Huh? I really haven't seen too many businesses talk about how Black's should be slaves in the last 45 years...maybe down under has that going on.
But, for a person to say that he believes in a traditional marriage is being homophobic.....that's just rediculous. And, top it off with he shouldn't be able to set up shop in a town or city...that's just like, WOW!!!!!!!!

Your thought process really has it going on, Noomi.

I'm not sure Noomi meant that quite the way it came out, but you are right that seeing the benefits of and supporting traditional marriage is NOT the same thing as being homophobic or suggesting that rights should be denied anybody.

It is to the left. so I asked them the question the other day does being pro gay marriage automatically make them anti hetero marriage? They didn't have an answer.

I'm sure there a lot of companies that have a set belief system of some kind or another.

Been wanting to.
Seems I only see them when I'm not hungry.

I saw a story on them about how they still use the same potato supplier they used with their first store......on only a handshake.
:clap2:

Some of the members here at USMB have given a big thumbs up to Five Guys. I had never been to one so checked it out and found one fairly close to us. Mr. Foxfyre further checked and discovered that our local Five Guys has received pretty bad reviews from the locals here. So I still haven't been to a Five Guys.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with their politics.

I've never been to a Chick-fil-a either but based on the rave reviews you guys are giving them, I checked and we have one close to us. So we're going to check it out later today.

And that will have absolutely nothing to do with their politics either.

I had to answer 'other', as we do not have Chick-fil-A's out west. I could get jazzed about the contoversy if say, Inn-N'-Out Burger was involved.

Mmmm I'm eating In N Out right now. All the animal style is causing a mess everywhere, mmm!

Actually no... but here in Texas I can go to In N Out. I looked forward to them opening here for almost two years. They sure took their sweet fucking time.

Mmmm I'm eating In N Out right now. All the animal style is causing a mess everywhere, mmm!

Actually no... but here in Texas I can go to In N Out. I looked forward to them opening here for almost two years. They sure took their sweet fucking time.

I really do miss In N Out. Whenever I'm down in Ca. I make sure I take the time and locate one.

I have three gay friends and two lesbian friends and none of them care at all about this issue.

They should care. Anytime a politician or a group of politicans start working to eliminate the rights of other people based solely on the other people's point of view, we should all be up in arms about it.

I can care less what the managment at Chik-fil-a thinks about marriage. What bothers me about this issue is elected governmental officials attempting to make us all politically correct.

Whoever they are... I would hope the "free" people of their cities elect their opponents next time around.

Immie

Some of the members here at USMB have given a big thumbs up to Five Guys. I had never been to one so checked it out and found one fairly close to us. Mr. Foxfyre further checked and discovered that our local Five Guys has received pretty bad reviews from the locals here. So I still haven't been to a Five Guys.

And that has absolutely nothing to do with their politics.

I've never been to a Chick-fil-a either but based on the rave reviews you guys are giving them, I checked and we have one close to us. So we're going to check it out later today.

And that will have absolutely nothing to do with their politics either.

Good for you. When I go to Five Guys I order the double with grilled onions. the fry portions are huge so we split one.

https://www.facebook.com/fiveguys

I have three gay friends and two lesbian friends and none of them care at all about this issue.

They should care. Anytime a politician or a group of politicans start working to eliminate the rights of other people based solely on the other people's point of view, we should all be up in arms about it.

I can care less what the managment at Chik-fil-a thinks about marriage. What bothers me about this issue is elected governmental officials attempting to make us all politically correct.

Whoever they are... I would hope the "free" people of their cities elect their opponents next time around.

Immie

Yup. As the ACLU has argued, if it is okay to ban a business just because they support traditional marriage, then logically it is okay to ban a business that supports same sex marraige.

Sorry, but this is not a freedom of speech issue.

Your freedom of speech ends when you discriminate against people you don't like.

I find it laughable when folks like Palin and her husband go and support "real marriage" by buying fake chicken.

If your opinion is that you discriminate against certain people, than it is fair that freedom-loving people to not have to tolerate intolerance.

It's like when a corporate sponsor pulls out of something because the thing they were attached to discriminates.

Flexing whatever purchasing power we have to work against businesses that are run by intolerant folks is real freedom of speech.

Saying you oppose same sex marriage is intolerant. But you are allowed to have that opinion, silly as it is.

Your freedom of speech ends when you discriminate against people you don't like.

I find it laughable when folks like Palin and her husband go and support "real marriage" by buying fake chicken.

If your opinion is that you discriminate against certain people, than it is fair that freedom-loving people to not have to tolerate intolerance.

It's like when a corporate sponsor pulls out of something because the thing they were attached to discriminates.

Flexing whatever purchasing power we have to work against businesses that are run by intolerant folks is real freedom of speech.

Saying you oppose same sex marriage is intolerant. But you are allowed to have that opinion, silly as it is.

It IS a free speech issue when there is no evidence that Chick-fil-a discriminates against anybody. They have expressed their personal opinion about something. And there are mayors who would deny them a business license and permit to open a business because of that expressed opinon. And that is wrong.

When did Chick-Fil-A discriminate gays?

Please provide evidence that they refused to either serve or hire gays.

Despite this being California and all, there is a Chick Fil A at Del Amo Mall. Since I was in the area dropping off paintings for an exhibition I went to the mall specifically to voice my protest in patronizing Chick Fil A. It was mobbed! Out of all the outlets at the food court, Chick Fil A was the only one crowded. Just from listening to those around eating or waiting, I learned that most of the people there were there because of the controversy. If they didn't support the gay position themselves, they were there simply to show opposition to those who intend to enforce what opinions are demanded.

This "protest" by gay rights advocates are going to end up such a benefit to Chick Fil A, that it's a wonder they didn't engineer the whole thing themselves.

it most certainly is a free speech issue....you got mayors (liberals of course) of 3 cities out to punish a guy for only speaking his mind....

a person under our constitution is free to spew whatever opinion he wants to share....and one can "discriminate" or be "intolerant" if he wants to.....that is what real FREE SPEECH is all about....it's only when you apply such discrimination in violation of established discrimination laws that you can get into trouble....(which he isn't doing)

just because some of you think some opinions are "intolerant" does not mean you can curb people from speaking their mind....or do you believe in mind control too.....?

Last edited:
There are two lesbians out there someplace who imagined they were going to sue me for being intolerant and refuse to paint their wedding portrait. They were wrong too.

Chick Fil A is not intolerant, they have neither refused to serve gays, nor have they refused to hire gays. The CEO simply has an opinion that supports traditional marriage.

Despite this being California and all, there is a Chick Fil A at Del Amo Mall. Since I was in the area dropping off paintings for an exhibition I went to the mall specifically to voice my protest in patronizing Chick Fil A. It was mobbed! Out of all the outlets at the food court, Chick Fil A was the only one crowded. Just from listening to those around eating or waiting, I learned that most of the people there were there because of the controversy. If they didn't support the gay position themselves, they were there simply to show opposition to those who intend to enforce what opinions are demanded.

This "protest" by gay rights advocates are going to end up such a benefit to Chick Fil A, that it's a wonder they didn't engineer the whole thing themselves.

Good for your local citizens. Despite the PC crowd's take on it, I am walking proof that one can be pro-traditional marriage without being the least bit homophobic or suggesting that rights should be denied anybody. When the PC crowd refuses to even allow the debate, it is the PC crowd that will be wrong every single time.

Mr. Foxfyre is back and I am enjoying my very first Chick-fil-a sandwich. And it is quite good though I would not give it five stars--it does not quite meet the wow factor that I demand in a five star sandwich. I would definitely have another at some point though. He arrived just before 2 p.m. and they were quite busy but got his sandwiches to go right out. So far as I know, there has been no local protest of the three Chick-fil-a franchises in the metro area.

Last edited:

So, faggot, you're saying if people practice freedom of association then they're not allowed freedom of speech? Go fuck yourself, liberal. But, that's not even the issue here You're just plain against freedom of speech for people who don't agree with you.

Last edited:

Good for your local citizens. Despite the PC crowd's take on it, I am walking proof that one can be pro-traditional marriage without being the least bit homophobic or suggesting that rights should be denied anybody. When the PC crowd refuses to even allow the debate, it is the PC crowd that will be wrong every single time.

Mr. Foxfyre is back and I am enjoying my very first Chick-fil-a sandwich. And it is quite good though I would not give it five stars--it does not quite meet the wow factor that I demand in a five star sandwich. I would definitely have another at some point though. He arrived just before 2 p.m. and they were quite busy but got his sandwiches to go right out. So far as I know, there has been no local protest of the three Chick-fil-a franchises in the metro area.

Today was my very first Chick Fil A too. If I go to the mall it's generally on a Sunday and they've never been open. I had to make a special trip to go when they are open. The Torrance area is HIGHLY multicultural. The estimates are that the city is approximately 25% white American with no racial majority. It hinted at one time of being majority hispanic, but an influx of various denominations of Asians put an end to that. The "majority" would be about equally divided among Chinese, Korean and Japanese immigants and first generation children. They don't have an interest in same sex marriage rights. It's not something that is real high on their list of priorities. What they don't like is being told what opinions to have, where to eat, what to eat, what to drink, what they should find important, and generally the kind of day to day following of instructions that liberals demand.

If a business was racist, and made public their opinions on how they disliked black people and thought they should be slaves, I wouldn't expect that company to have permission to move into a town or city, so the same goes for being homophobic.

Noomi, you're a shithead who dislikes whites, men, heterosexuals, Christians and you hate people who don't molest children. You suffer from decencyphobia.

Religious intolerance at it's finest.

Noomi, you're a shithead who dislikes whites, men, heterosexuals, Christians and you hate people who don't molest children. You suffer from decencyphobia.

Religious intolerance at it's finest.

It's liberal intolerance. She's not religious.

Forum List

Back