Zone1 The Case for Negative Voting

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
In America, citizens are guaranteed the right to vote. It is considered our civil duty. The freedom to vote our conscience is considered to be one our most basis rights in our democracy. In an election, you can vote for a candidate of your choice. But what if you do not like any of the candidates? The only choice you have today is to sit at home and not go to the polls or cast an invalid vote as protest. However, what if there was a system that allowed everyone to vote the way they feel. Well there is. It's called Negative Voting.

A "Negative Vote" is a vote cast against a candidate, and it will be counted against the positive votes cast for that candidate. The candidate who receives the most net positive votes wins. Each voter still has only one vote. He/she has the option to cast that vote for a candidate or against a candidate but not both. So after all votes are counted we will know who won but also the public, candidates, and the parties will know much of the winners victory is do to his or her popularity vs the unpopularity of the opposition.

We Need a Negative Voting System because:
  • As a voter, I should have the right to use my ballot to say: "I do not wish this person to become my leader." Not allowing people to vote No is undemocratic. It is a defect of current election systems and it needs to be fixed. I should have the right to say "NO".
  • Negative Voting will increase Participation in our elections. With more voters participating, the result would more accurately reflect the people's will. In today's system where we only have the choice to say "YES", the winner often proudly proclaims he/she has the "popular mandate" when the reality is far from that: many voters did not vote, many voters voted reluctantly for the "lesser of two evils", the "NO" voices were not heard at all. If Negative Vote is adopted, the winner will see clearly that he is not elected by a majority of the population(i.e. no overwhelming mandate) and there were some voters who chose to vote against him. The winner might become more responsive to needs of the voters, more humble, and less arrogant in governing.
  • Negative Vote will reduce extremists' influence. The Negative Votes are more likely to be cast by the middle electorate against extremist candidates. Extreme rhetoric will therefore reduce over time.
  • 負數票協會 Negative Vote Association

Last edited:
You like Candidate A and not Candidate B. How do you choose to vote for Candidate A or rather vote against Candidate B?

Negative voting would change how candidates campaign. It could result in some very surprising election results.

You like Candidate A and not Candidate B. How do you choose to vote for Candidate A or rather vote against Candidate B?

I think the system is a wash ... it will almost always give the same results as normal voting methods ... just using a different zero-point ...

A far more important right is that of Free Speech ... you've done more good by speaking about this than anything you suggest ...

You vote for a candidate just way you do now with one exception. If the only reason you are voting for A is because you hate B then cast a negative vote against B and the B total vote will be reduce by your negative vote and A remains unchanged.

I think the system is a wash ... it will almost always give the same results as normal voting methods ... just using a different zero-point ...

A far more important right is that of Free Speech ... you've done more good by speaking about this than anything you suggest ...

Just arguing. 75,000 people vote for someone. 45,000 vote against them.

Another candidate gets 45,000 votes and 10,000 votes against them.

The one with the least amount of support wins.

Negative voting would change how candidates campaign. It could result in some very surprising election results.
That it would. No candidate wants to go into office simple because the voters hate the opposition. I think it would cause candidates to spend more selling themself to voters and less time tearing down the opposition, less negative campaigning.

Check me here:

Bozo A has 75,000 for minus 10,000 against = 65,000 points
Bozo B has 45,000 for minus 45,000 against = 0 point

Bozo A wins ... if I read the OP correctly ... these votes `against` would not be cast normally ... if they don't want to vote `for` anyone, they're allowed to vote `against` someone ...

Sounds like more reason to fist-fight over the matter ...

Check me here:

Bozo A wins ... if I read the OP correctly ... these votes `against` would not be cast normally ... if they don't want to vote `for` anyone, they're allowed to vote `against` someone ...

Those who vote negatively aren't necessarily non voters otherwise. Thinking about it, IMO it would create a system where third party candidates would have an even harder time.

True
A Negative Voting system should increase turnout making for a more democratic election however we don't know in a tradition election how many of those negative B votes would go to A and how many would stay home.
Canidate A would have 75,000+ 10,000 neg votes =85,000 votes
Canidate B would have 45,000+ 45,000 neg votes =90,000 votes

Check me here:

No
A gets 75,000 votes cast for A and 45,000 negative B votes =120,000 votes
B gets 45,000 votes cast for B and 10,000 negative A votes = 55,000 votes

Last edited:
Those who vote negatively aren't necessarily non voters otherwise. Thinking about it, IMO it would create a system where third party candidates would have an even harder time.
True, you don't know what the turnout will be with negative voting allowed vs a traditionally. However the point is that in Negative voting election gives the negative voters a chance to be heard and thus encourages larger turnouts. It's hard to say what the effect would be on third party candidates. However with a larger turnout of dissatisfied voters it would probably favor third party candidates..

True, you don't know what the turnout will be with negative voting allowed vs a traditionally. However the point is that in Negative voting election gives the negative voters a chance to be heard and thus encourages larger turnouts. It's hard to say what the effect would be on third party candidates. However with a larger turnout of dissatisfied voters it would probably favor third party candidates..

Maybe and it's an interesting discussion outside of one thing. It's never going to happen.

I think it would give third parties a better chance, perhaps even put an end to our two party system.

I think it would definitely encourage more people to vote. For example, it I hate candidate A but really think candidate B should not be president, I would probably not bother to vote. However, if I was able to go to the polls cast a vote against candidate A, I would probablly go because not only would I have the pleasure of taking a vote away from the rotten SOB but my vote would be part of B's votes who just hated the opposition more. It's pretty much of a downer for any winner of an election to find out that he won primarily because so many people hated the opposition.

Last edited:
Maybe and it's an interesting discussion outside of one thing. It's never going to happen.
In the US, probably not with a hundred years. The only place I'm aware that Negative Voting is seriously being considered is Taiwan where they are trying to increase individual freedoms, probably to make a greater contrast between them and mainland China.

Last edited:
No
A gets 75,000 votes cast for A and 45,000 negative B votes =120,000 votes
B gets 45,000 votes cast for B and 10,000 negative A votes = 55,000 votes

Then an "against" vote is exactly like a "for" vote for the other Bozo ... negative B = positive A ... and vis-a-vis come see come saw ... the OP says I hate both candidates, and won't vote unless I can vote `against` one of these two assholes ... if you just count my `against` vote as `for` the other guy I hate ... then no dice, I ain't voting ... I only want my vote to cancel so other idiot's vote ...

Almost everyone here is well fed ... even the homeless produce garbage now ... what's wrong with the voting system again? ...

Then an "against" vote is exactly like a "for" vote for the other Bozo ... negative B = positive A ... and vis-a-vis come see come saw ... the OP says I hate both candidates, and won't vote unless I can vote `against` one of these two assholes ... if you just count my `against` vote as `for` the other guy I hate ... then no dice, I ain't voting ... I only want my vote to cancel so other idiot's vote ...

Almost everyone here is well fed ... even the homeless produce garbage now ... what's wrong with the voting system again? ...
There is another perk for negative voting other than knowing you're taking a vote away from Candidate A, the SOB. You also become part of the definable percentage of voters who helped Candidate B only because you hated Candidate A more than B. I'm sure these statistics would be available to the public.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back