The Cap... Is There Any Legal Way Around It ??

HUGGY

I Post Because I Care
Mar 24, 2009
Seattle at large...Ballard lately
Let's take Paul Allen and his Seahawks for instance.

Paul is a man of simple interests. His underlings at Vulcan Inc are ferrocios real estate investors, start up starters and money managers.

Paul took his share of Microsoft and has built a huge empire of real worth. He was the financial brains in his partnership with Gates so it is clear from his track record that he knows how to get his way using his resources.

One of Paul's simple interests is his football team. Now his football darlings have emerged as one of the most talented group of young players in the NFL. Many are 3rd round or lower ..some even undrafted free agents overlooked by the rest of the league. Some are cast offs from other teams. One would think that the Seahawks would be blowing up thier cap in as little as two years.

The only thing that stands between the future deconstruction of the Seahawks and what could well be something like a dynasty of talent would obviously be the greed of the star players and thier managers.

So what is legal and illegal compensation against the cap?

Well lets explore some possibilities.. How do the rich suppliment thier incomes and keep the millions circulating among the rich? The put themselves and thier rich buddies and thier wives on the boards of some of the corporations they invest in for one thing. They pay themselves MILLIONS to sit on these corporate wheelhouses. Do they actually do anything of value for the stockholders of these companies? You tell me.

Paul Allen owns majority stock in many corporations. He has control of many companies that pay or could pay millions to whomever they choose to represent these companies in the media as front men or actors in advertising.

They pay some individuals that have displayed success in thier chosen paths huge sums to give motivational speaches and talks and seminars. Many of these appearances are just that appearances and the real heavy lifting is done by professional speakers much like religious mega churches operate. The big personality speaks for a brief time and then the underlings take over.

So what could a billionaire with hundreds of connections in the world I just described possibly offer a popular sports figure that might mitigate his need for greed in the short term??? What about the greedy agents?

Pull up another chair at the board meeting... Ka Ching !!!

Oh but you say HUGGY that's unfair...the NFL wouldn't stand for it... Oh REALLY?

How do you think these athletes get such sweet deals when they get out of sports right now? People in high places must make choices of who to hire for these choice seats at the table and whom to display on your TVs and who to pass on. When you are watching the ex NFL stars on the tube this weekend keep in mind that many of them are making a lot more money gabbing in front of a TV camera than they ever got on the field.

I doubt there is a law or NFL reg that prohibits a smart group of players from splitting up what's within the cap to keep a good thing going as long as they can.

Last edited:
Paul Allen also owns a part of 'Ticket Masters' and the Portland Brazers and part owner of the Seattle Sounders. $15 billion will buy a lot of toys.

The more I look at the Harvin deal the more curiouser I get. If the Seahawks win the whole sheebang I would not be shocked to see Harvin ask publicly to restructure his deal downward to at least return the money he "earned" in 2013. Harvin has landed on a dream team for someone like him that needed as much time to heal and quality attention to his needs without any second guessing him as a player. The organization has been in his corner 100% and he hasn't been able to keep his part of the bargain. There hasn't been a hint of cutting him loose. I think Percy has fallen in love with the Seahawks organization and Carroll. He has seen nobodies brought in and brought up to play like champions just for the love of the game. When the true MVPs of the Seahawks like Wilson and Sherman are playing for peanuts without squaking the "Team" spirit is pervasive and runs deep. Players like Marshawn Lynch and many others have been on teams where it's "me first" over team first and you can just see it in every play Lynch gets his hands on the ball. He LOVES playing for this organization. I would be surprized to see these guys let that feeling slip through thier fingers.

Forum List

Back