The Birth Tax

you do not pay tax on a capital gain unless and until that gain is realized...if you realize a 9 million dollar gain, then you pay capital gains tax on that gain. if that gain has never been realized until the person dies, then the tax is payed at that time, just like any other capital gain prior to their death.

what if you already paid that capital gain tax prior to your death and squared away your assests into a trust in order to provide for your grandchildren's college education...should your estate then be taxed again upon your death?

glorib, please look at the link i provided and the chart i posted above for what estate taxes each bracket that is subject to it paid in 2004....

it was on average 11% for federal taxes on their estate....

IF IT WERE the 45% of all that they earned as jreeves is thinking it is, i would be screaming bloody murder too, on reforming or reneging this tax....

but the truth is, it is NOT....it averages 11.5%

Care

Damn, its been ages since I've seen anyone owned this badly.

JReeves started out saying that EVERY one, every property owner, had to pay the inheritance tax.

From his OWN link, and your stats, less than 1% of families - the affluent and the wealthy - have to pay any inheritance tax because of the large tax exemption on the first several million dollars of estate.
RetirementSavingsCalcTest.xls

God you all are dumb, 2 million isn't rich....it's what you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle...

RetirementSavingsCalcTest.xls

God you all are dumb, 2 million isn't rich....it's what you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle...
it isn't rich, but less than 1% of all the people that die each and every year, have enough in their estates to be subject to this tax....

also, there are provisions so that farmers passing along their farm and things like this are not subject to paying it.....no one in usa history has lost their farm in the family because of the estate tax....contrary to what we have been told....i read this just last week.....

no one in the 1% of the americans subject to this tax, is taxed 45% of what they earned and accumilated....

on average, they have paid about 11.5% due to loopholes, deductions, trusts, charity giving and many, many other ways to shield their estates....now granted, they may have the expence of an estate tax lawyer to help them preserve it or get it to where it only averages the 11%!!!

In other words you support taking someone's lifetime savings and imposing a 45% tax rate on their already taxed savings.

Call it the system correcting itself. Anyone who accumulates enough wealth to the point where the death tax can be applied has done so due to glitches in the system which have unfairly rewarded that person and unfairly punished others.

it isn't rich, but less than 1% of all the people that die each and every year, have enough in their estates to be subject to this tax....

also, there are provisions so that farmers passing along their farm and things like this are not subject to paying it.....no one in usa history has lost their farm in the family because of the estate tax....contrary to what we have been told....i read this just last week.....

no one in the 1% of the americans subject to this tax, is taxed 45% of what they earned and accumilated....

on average, they have paid about 11.5% due to loopholes, deductions, trusts, charity giving and many, many other ways to shield their estates....now granted, they may have the expence of an estate tax lawyer to help them preserve it or get it to where it only averages the 11%!!!

Stop making sense!!!!
;)

Change the estate tax from 45% to 11.5% then.....

How about when a person dies we just throw all their assets into a big pot and divvy it up among people living in Texas ?

:eusa_shifty: It's good to know that some of our fellow American millionaires are here with us peon's, at USMB. :doubt:

Unfortunately us younger folks aren't going to benefit from taxing our children to pay for our retirement. So it will take us more money to take care of ourselves....

Please support this statement.

In this country we have a growing disparity between rich and poor and a shrinking middle class. The death tax is one small way of getting us headed towards a more level playing field.

People can bitch and moan about "my money, my property" all they want but no one has an inherent right to anything. It's only our code of law and law enforcement that maintains anyone's right to anything.

When our system of wealth distribution has gone out of whack, as it has already done, measures must be taken to to correct it.

In this country we have a growing disparity between rich and poor and a shrinking middle class. The death tax is one small way of getting us headed towards a more level playing field.

People can bitch and moan about "my money, my property" all they want but no one has an inherent right to anything. It's only our code of law and law enforcement that maintains anyone's right to anything.

When our system of wealth distribution has gone out of whack, as it has already done, measures must be taken to to correct it.

None of that supports your earlier statement:
Call it the system correcting itself. Anyone who accumulates enough wealth to the point where the death tax can be applied has done so due to glitches in the system which have unfairly rewarded that person and unfairly punished others.

What is unfair about someone succeeding, and why does that mean that someone else is punished because of it?

Change the estate tax from 45% to 11.5% then.....
i was thinking that myself jreeves...WHY THE HELL do they make things SOOOOO complicated...just to confuse us and keep our heads spinning or to keep tax lawyers in business, who knows?

It's just absolutely crazy the way our tax laws and deductions are writen, absolutely crazy!!!

None of that supports your earlier statement:

What is unfair about someone succeeding, and why does that mean that someone else is punished because of it?

Well, either you just don't get what I am saying or I didn't explain it well or it just isn't even worth my time explaining further because you seem to equate hoarding wealth while your neighbor lives at substandard levels as "succeeding".

Forum List

Back